PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Fluting Questions

zblink
10-10-11, 21:37
I am familiar with the benefits of barrel fluting, like increased stiffness (per weight), weight reduction…..
I was wondering if any one has looked at possible negative effects of various types of fluting both standard and non-standard. I was tossing around the idea that since fluting induces local stress concentrations. Would this when incorporated with thermal expansion and a slight amount of material creep, create an almost predictable warp?
Questions
• How do local stress concentrations affect POI shift when thermal expansion and creep are included?
• Since you will not have uniform temperatures throughout the barrel due to (non-perfect materials, wind direction, interaction with the stock, different amounts of material per unit length) how does (if at all) does thermal expansion and material creep effect POI without the added stress concentrations of fluting.
• Is it possible for a Spiral Fluting to cause torsional stresses and thus possible effect twist rate or other effects (in minute amounts)

This is disregarding the fact that almost all of the stress concentrations of fluting can be taken out through other methods.

More interesting material
http://www.snipercountry.com/articles/realbenefitsbarrelfluting.asp