PDA

View Full Version : Rail Comparison: DD MFR vs. Troy TRX Extreme

MeanStreaker
10-11-11, 09:59
Can folks with hands on experience with both provide pros/cons for using these on a hard use 16" middy, please?

I like the weight savings with TRX, but am a little nervous since more than a few folks said they have come loose and have no confidence in how they're mounted. I'm not exactly sure how the MFR rails mount?

With your reply, please say which you have experience with vs what you have just read about (like me). :)

aflin
10-11-11, 12:48
I run a TRX on my carbine, I have handled the DD MFR on others.

Like you, I was a bit hesitant about the TRX mount. However, I have not had an issue with the screws coming loose. They key is to clean and degrease the screws and the helicoils. Take some rubbing alcohol on a q-tip and clean the mounting parts. Afterwards, use some blue loctite on the screws. This process has proved capable on mine and several others I have installed.

If it eases your mind, Kyle Defoor runs the TRX with no problem.

Javelin
10-11-11, 17:17
I have trx rails. They don't come loose .... at least mine haven't mounted by noveski. I think there are a lot of shade tree gunsmith that don't know what they're doing so obviously the outcome is pretty predictable. and for some reason they know how to type on the internet.... amazing how that happens. ;)

FChen17213
10-11-11, 19:09
I love the DD MFR. I know it's a subjective feeling but I feel that it is very solid. I've handled the Troy on many other people's rifles, and it feels solid too. I think Troy has come out with the new Alpha Battlerail which may be a bit sturdier but I'm not sure. Overall, I think you'll be very impressed with the handling of both rails.

Ironman8
10-11-11, 20:21
For those who are wondering about the TRX rail, I thought I would pass this info along from this thread (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=90326) that I posted in regards to the TRX rail...

Ok guys I got the scoop from a guy at Troy who seemed to know what he was talking about...so I'll take his word for it.

If you look at the directions that come with the TRX rail, it says to only tighten the screws until the tabs come to about an 1/8" apart. When I stated earlier that my rail was rotating on the barrel nut, I THINK my rail was tightened down to an 1/8", but I really didn't pay attention to it before I went and tightened it down further...I tightened it down to about a fingernails width, and is now rock solid from what I can tell...I called Troy to make sure that tightening it down that far wouldn't cause any problems.

Well according to the guy at Troy, the directions are outdated due to the fact that the tabs have recently been "reinforced" and can now be tightened down as far as you want as long as it doesn't "warp" the rail in relation to the upper receiver's rail (meaning if you put the upper upside down on a table, or something flat, the rail should be flush enough with the table that you shouldn't be able to slide something like a penny under any part of the rail...I'm sure that includes rotational and lateral warping as well). So the problems that the rail was having about a year ago with broken tabs, "play" on the barrel nut, ect. is now no longer an issue since you can now tighten the pinch screws down further, making it a more solid mount.

Hope that helps some of you guys and gives a little peace of mind. I know it did for me...

hghlndr85
10-11-11, 20:53
good topic i wondered the same question

VIP3R 237
10-12-11, 03:18
I love my trx but that being said I haven't had a chance to fondle the dd rail just yet. I'm sure coming from daniel defense it's going to be great quality. The one thing I think the troy has is we're already seeing some aftermarket accessories coming out such as the noveske qd socket.

Squirtgunner
02-20-12, 19:19
Haven't used a DD rail. I use a trx alpha and haven't had any issues with it coming loose. I can see the potential maybe, especially if you're hitting the deck with it, maybe dropping it, being extreme, etc.. I used a little loctite on the three screws when I installed it. I've run about 1500 rounds through my rifle since the install and haven't had any issues. I do run some drills with it occasionally but for the most part I'm killing paper. I absolutely love the weight of it and the way my hand feels welded to it.

Gunzilla
02-21-12, 11:35
Can folks with hands on experience with both provide pros/cons for using these on a hard use 16" middy, please?

I like the weight savings with TRX, but am a little nervous since more than a few folks said they have come loose and have no confidence in how they're mounted. I'm not exactly sure how the MFR rails mount?

With your reply, please say which you have experience with vs what you have just read about (like me). :)

I'd bet that those having their TRX handguards coming loose is because they didn't use blue locktite to secure the screws.

Any screw, bolt or nut that shakes and is shocked by a gun being fired needs blue locktite. You might get by without locktite, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

ZoneOne
02-21-12, 11:43
I concur with the locktite.

I had an IWC mount for my M952v and after about 200 rounds it came lose. I thought for a split second that the mount wasn't what I expected. I took it off, looked at the screws and checked my little vial of locktite and realized I forgot to put it on. My fault, my error and after applying it hasn't had one issue for the past 600 rounds (all I've fired since then)

I didn't have an issue w/ my TRX Extreme, but I did the same thing as described above. I took it apart, cleaned the screws, applied some locktite and re-tightened everything. I have faith in the rail as it is a great addition to any weapon.

superr.stu
02-21-12, 12:57
I have a BCM 16inch mid with a 13inch TRX-E, it has about 2000 rounds on it since installing that rail. Also a 14.5 Noveske N4 with the MFR that is approaching 3000 rounds. Given the choice between the two rails I would pick the MFR 10 times out of 10.

The MFR is seems to be more robust in overall construction and especially so in how it mounts when compared to the TRX.

The issues I've had with the TRX have only appeared on days when I've been running the gun hard. By the end of a hard shooting session the rail will be rotated ~15degrees to the left, it's not loose or anything like that, it's just turned. The rail has been properly cleaned, locktite, and installed. When the rail rotates the screws aren't backing out, my witness marks on the screws remain unchanged, the rail through the torque I'm putting on it is rotating on the barrel nut.

At least once when it's happened I had it checked by a competent gunsmith, and he was unable to find anything wrong with the installation of the rail.