PDA

View Full Version : Colt MT6400 Question

DeltaSierra
10-11-11, 19:09
A friend of mine is new to firearms, and as he lives in a ban state, his choices are quite limited.

I am researching some options for him (as he doesn't know enough about the subject to make a really good decision) and I haven't been able to find answers to a few questions about the new(er) Colt MT6400 rifles.

Are the trigger pins/takedown pins the correct diameter (as opposed to Colt's proprietary pin size?)

What are the markings on the lower receiver?

Does the lower have a sear block like the older Colt Match Target rifles?

Redline
10-11-11, 22:24
I got one 2 yrs ago cause I'm in a ban state. See this thread in which I talked a lot about it. There is someone in there that has a link to another thread a couple years before that.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=34534

I went down the line on how in matches up to the features chart they used to have up. Since I'm not very technical I couldn't verify some of the stuff. But the gun is a great gun.

I seem to remember others have said it is essentially a 6920 except for the ugly muzzle brake on mine and non collapseable stock. The new one has no device on end of the barrel. There is no sear block on mine and it came with an M16 carrier. The newer mt6400r might be the way to go now. It has a free floated rail. As far as the FCG pins on mine, I believe they are not the prefered size on mine. Here's what I found which I talked about in the above thread.

As for the FCG pins, I first thought the pins were .154 but they are .169. I originally measured it wrong. I suggest people double check their pins if they are not very technical like me. Let me explain why. The end of the pins have a sharp taper in order to make them easier to push through the holes. I measured the very end the first time and it just happens that the very end is tapered to about .154. But when I measured the holes it goes through it measured .169. So to double check I poped out one of the pins about 1/16" and it is .169.

DeltaSierra
10-11-11, 22:53
I got one 2 yrs ago cause I'm in a ban state. See this thread in which I talked a lot about it. There is someone in there that has a link to another thread a couple years before that.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=34534

I went down the line on how in matches up to the features chart they used to have up. Since I'm not very technical I couldn't verify some of the stuff. But the gun is a great gun.

I seem to remember others have said it is essentially a 6920 except for the ugly muzzle brake on mine and non collapseable stock. The new one has no device on end of the barrel. There is no sear block on mine and it came with an M16 carrier. The newer mt6400r might be the way to go now. It has a free floated rail. As far as the FCG pins on mine, I believe they are not the prefered size on mine. Here's what I found which I talked about in the above thread.

As for the FCG pins, I first thought the pins were .154 but they are .169. I originally measured it wrong. I suggest people double check their pins if they are not very technical like me. Let me explain why. The end of the pins have a sharp taper in order to make them easier to push through the holes. I measured the very end the first time and it just happens that the very end is tapered to about .154. But when I measured the holes it goes through it measured .169. So to double check I poped out one of the pins about 1/16" and it is .169.

Thanks for the link. I hadn't been able to find that one through the search feature....

I take it that you are not in NJ due to the rollmarks on the lower seeing that it is marked as an M4.....

OldState
10-11-11, 23:59
Before I bought my LE6920 I called Colt to find the serial # of when they went to the .154 pins. They looked it up and told me. I then made sure the gun I got was made after that.

duece71
10-12-11, 10:36
I have an MT6400. I bought it right after the sunset of the AWB. A dealer had taken off the fixed collapsable stock and put on a working one. I had the MB taken off (I live in the free zone) and had an A2 attached. Mine has a half moon BC but NO sear block. Great rifle, no LE markings and it has a 1:7 barrel. Not sure on pin size. I added an MOE hangguard and CTR stock. It has MP rear BUIS and is just waiting on an RDS.

Displaced Texan
10-12-11, 11:31
Also live in a ban state (NJ), and have a MT6400. Mine was built 8/09, and has the .154 FCG pins, and full auto BCG.

I haven't measured it to be sure, but I believe my MT6700 also has .154 FCG pins.

The 6400 is a great rifle, and in every mechanical respect, it is the same as a 6920. I got rid of the obnoxious muzzle brake and installed something a little more civilized.

Jeff

Ed L.
10-12-11, 16:29
If I lived somewhere where I had to buy one of these I would have the stock replaced with a shorter Sully fixed stock and a battlecomp muzzle break and call it good.

DeltaSierra
10-12-11, 16:37
If I lived somewhere where I had to buy one of these I would have the stock replaced with a shorter Sully fixed stock and a battlecomp muzzle break and call it good.

That is the plan, but....

New Jersey has some weird laws, and I am not sure that the BattleComp is legal there.

Also, from what I have read of the gun laws there, any rifle marked "M4" is on the no-go list, so I am trying to figure out what options are left...

Displaced Texan
10-12-11, 16:40

New Jersey has some weird laws, and I am not sure that the BattleComp is legal there.

Also, from what I have read of the gun laws there, any rifle marked "M4" is on the no-go list, so I am trying to figure out what options are left...

The MT6400 IS legal in NJ (even though it is marked M4 Carbine on the lower), as is the Battlecomp.

Jeff

DeltaSierra
10-12-11, 16:59
The MT6400 IS legal in NJ (even though it is marked M4 Carbine on the lower), as is the Battlecomp.

Jeff

Just to be on the safe side, where could I find the information from the state of NJ, stating that the BattleComp is alright? Since ATF hasn't declared the BattleComp to be a non-flash suppressing device, it was my understanding that NJ wouldn't honor it.

With regard to the "M4" markings, is the Colt Match Target exempt, or was the information that I had gotten wrong about the "M4" markings being illegal?

Displaced Texan
10-12-11, 17:13
The MT6400 is of the Colt 'Match Target' moniker, therefore making it legal in NJ according to this:

http://nj.gov/njsp/about/fire_ag1.html

I don't have a statute on the Battlecomp, but it is marketed as a compensator, and not a flash supressor, so it is legal. It is my understanding that the ATF no longer 'rates' muzzle devices as flash supressors or comps. This info came from the mfg of the device I have installed on my rifle.

General rule of thumb in NJ is that if the muzzle device is open ended (such as the A2 flash suppressor), it is NOT legal. If is is closed ended, with only enough of a hold for the projectile to exit, then it is legal.

duece71
10-12-11, 17:21

I hate to be blunt, how about pack the family truckster up and move to a free state??

Redline
10-12-11, 17:33
I don't think the M4 on the side makes it illegal in NJ. Especially since it says match target right above that. As an fyi, I do live in NJ and bought mine in a long established NJ gun shop / sporting goods store. They have been around for at least a couple generations as far as I know.

As far as the FCG pins:
As you can see in one of my picks in the post I linked to, mine says 05/09 on the barrel, I think that's near the front sight base. Not sure if the lower rec was made around the same time. As I mentioned in my linked post, I think I have the .169 diameter fcg pins. Not sure if the 05/09 date on the barrel is around the time they switched to .154. Also, I don't know how long lowers and uppers lay around before they put them together. I guess I can call Colt and see when my lower sn was made and what the cutoff is on the change from .169 to .154. But this is not important to me.