PDA

View Full Version : 1-4 and FSB

captain92
10-11-11, 19:35
Long time lurker here. Anyone have any issues with a 1-4 and mounting on a rifle with fixed FSB as far as image distortion at 1x etc?

I have ACOGs on other rifles and the blurriness isn't a bother, however only have an extra upper with fixed FSB and don't want to drop the coin on a SWFA SS without hearing what others have experienced.

I would hate to have to build ANOTHER rifle to scratch this 1-4 itch!

Kissel
10-11-11, 20:17
You won't even notice it, especially if you use one of the 1.93" tall mounts.

broylz
10-11-11, 21:25
i am currently using a 1-4x with a fsb and at 1x, you can see a blur of the fsb in the lower third. at 4x it disappears.

Alaskapopo
10-11-11, 22:30
Its perfectly workable but I prefer not to have it in my field of view at the lower powers (1x and 2x) and I don't like the distortion at 3X and above. Like I said its functinoal but I would rather not have a fixed front sight base.
Pat

TomMcC
10-12-11, 13:13
I just learned to ignore it. In the heat of shooting a 3 gun stage I don't remember seeing the FSB. I remember the target, and the reticule.

captain92
10-12-11, 18:20
I appreciate the replies thus far! Keep 'em coming.

RPD03
10-13-11, 00:05
As first you will notice it and it might seem a bit blurry, but after time you won't even notice it is there.

elephantrider
10-13-11, 00:09
The degree of bluriness or noticability may also depend on the 1-4 optic you choose. Which one were you looking at using?

captain92
10-13-11, 05:02
The degree of bluriness or noticability may also depend on the 1-4 optic you choose. Which one were you looking at using?

Looking at the SWFA SS 1-4. Was going to use a Larue extended mount so I can shoot nose to charging handle (which I do with all my ARs). With the ACOGs the slight blur doesn't bother me in the least. The only other low power optics I have are Leupold pistol scopes at 2x and of course several Aimpoints etc. Don't have any access to anyone with a 1-4 outside of the forums to check out. I appreciate the replies.

I figure I may order the scope and mount in the near future, try it on my 16" BCM upper and if I don't like it, will just build a 16" Reece type or something. Heck, one can't have too many ARs LOL. Even though I don't need more!