PDA

View Full Version : Need help with "new" BALCS panels

elephantrider
10-11-11, 20:12
I just bought some BALCS panels manufactured by OM Tactical that were sold to me as "Factory New." I bought them second hand, which was probably my first big mistake. From my initial inspection they seem almost like they could be factory seconds or defective. This is my first BALCS set and need some input from the knowledge base here to determine exactly what the condition of these is.

1. I immediately noticed two or three holes in the seams which are supposed to be heat sealed (see pics below). What does this mean for the effectiveness and longevity of the armor? They are supposed to be sealed so that water doesn't fill the panel if submerged, correct? The rest of the seams seem to be fraying in other areas to. A brand new panel should not be broken open like this, right? They are otherwise clean and new in appearance.

2. The sizing does not see to correspond to the commonly refered to SPEAR/BALC panel diagram (3rd pic). These are labeled size large, but when I measure the ballistic material (edge to edge) they are closer to the medium dimensions shown bleow. Measuring the vertical and horizontal dimensions they do not exactly correspond to either medium or small size. They measure small in the vertical and closer to medium in the horizontal dimensions. The ballistic material is nowhere near size Large. Are the dimensions below supposed to be from edge to edge of the ballistic fabric or from the outside egdes of the seams?

3. The material thickness/weight is not near what OM Tactical advertises. It is both heavier and thicker. Supposed to be 1.05lb/sf and about .25", but is well over both.

What do I have here?
A. Panels that are typical of what most manufacturers put out?
B. New panels from a crappy manufacturer?
C. Factory rejects?
D. Something Else?

Any experienced input is greatly appreciated.

Armati
10-11-11, 21:01
Perhaps you could contact the manufacturer and they MAY take care of your issue.

In general, buy from a reputable source.

By the way, correct BALC panels are sealed using an ultrasonic process that causes the fabric to fuse. If the maker says they are 'heat sealed' you may want to move on.

elephantrider
10-11-11, 21:24
Armati, thanks for the input. I had thought about seeing if the mfg. could address the seam issue.

Anybody actually measured their panels? Are the dimensions supposed to be exactly as shown on the diagram? Are the dimensions supposed to be from edge to edge of ballistic material?

Failure2Stop
10-12-11, 07:21
Ive never had any that fit exactly right.
There's going to be a little bunching and swearing during the installation of the panels, but if it is blatantly not fitting I would contact the seller or the manufacturer.

ap1220
10-12-11, 19:08
Ive never had any that fit exactly right.
There's going to be a little bunching and swearing during the installation of the panels, but if it is blatantly not fitting I would contact the seller or the manufacturer.

+1

I hate putting them back in after cleaning my IBA or installing them after getting a new issue.

Even if it is a "little" bunched up, a little rolling around and running around seems to take it out.

elephantrider
10-12-11, 23:06
Thanks for the feedback guys.

So typically the panels are a tight fit? Is it just tought to get the seam material to fit in folded ove flat? Or is it a tight fit for the ballistic portion of the panel?

I have a size large Eagle Armor carrier and these are supposed to be large panels. These would easily fit in the carrier as they are way smaller than the dimensions shown for large panels on the above diagram.

The Eagle carrier seems like it would have plenty of room even for the correct size panels.

I will not be using these. I will get some panels that are better made and hopefully are a better fit.

ap1220
10-13-11, 14:32
Yep it is. It can be a pain in the ass to get the velcro to line up where they meet at the shoulders since there isn't much room for the armor and your hand at the same time. :suicide2: