PDA

View Full Version : Lightest CLOSE RANGE SIGHT for an AR with MAGNIFIED OPTICS?

Rmplstlskn
11-17-07, 22:18
I have an 18"SPR-type AR with a 2.5-10x24 NXS scope with FC-2 reticle in a Larue SPR mount. I love this rifle and it is a tack driver, but I have found that for fast short range shots, rather than use the 2.5x scope setting, which it rarely is at due to MOST of my shooting, I just POINT SHOOT the close targets. It works OK and is fast, but there has to be a better option...

First off, I know the SPR is not a close combat weapon, but the possibility of close, surprise/unexpected targets while sending 77g copper-plated pills of love to a distant foe is always a possibility. So bear with my folly, if it is indeed fanciful folly...

I have seen several pics of SPR-type precision AR's with small Doctor Optics or the new Aimpoint T1. I also know Larue makes an SPR mount top ring to hold a DR red-dot sight, but I want SIMPLIER, LESS BULKY and LIGHTER (a scoped SPR is already hefty...)

What I want is something like an IRON SIGHT, but maybe in polymer, that is SMALL, LIGHTWEIGHT, unobtrusive and hugs close to the barrel. I saw a pic of GotM4's 3-gun rifle (PIC HERE (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=3481))with something like this mounted near the end of the handguard, but the one pictured is longer and more out in the open that I would like (snags, etc...) Looks maybe heavy as well....

BUIS's, rather than USELESS at the 12 o-clock position but mounted between 12 and 3 o-clock would be a cool option as well... (After all, unless you are truly shooting jihadists with possible scope failures, how often have the BUIS's on your scoped SPR ever been used??? Admit it! Why not put them to practical use rather than having to unlatch your scope to use them?)

All I want to do is twist the rifle a few degrees and use a simple NOTCH or PEEP & POST sight rather than POINT SHOOT... Is there anything out there?

Or am I over-analyzing and complicating things again?

Rmpl

IrishDevil
11-17-07, 23:11
One of my shooting buddies mounted a TLR2 on his SPR clone for short range shooting. He mounted it on the handguard at about 10-11 o'clock, and activates it with his thumb. The laser is pretty quick at short range, I tried it out and thought it was useful on a optic dedicated rifle. It's not a serious use rifle for him, mainly a range rifle and the occasional coyote/varmint.

Gunfighter13
11-18-07, 03:19
I have been considering the same thing and may go this route. Offset rail mounts.
http://www.yhm.net/store/rails.htmlhttp://yankeehill.bizland.com/store/media/Angle_Mounts.jpg

With a good set of front and rear flip up sights.

Sweep
11-18-07, 05:58
why not just put a j point type site off to the side of the scope ?

Hootiewho
11-18-07, 06:40
This is a product sold by the guy (Vic) who I bought my PVS 14 from. I don't own one of these yet, but it would be a good platform to put something like a J Point on. Maybe even a micro aimpoint

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=209&t=154003

Rmplstlskn
11-18-07, 08:54
why not just put a j point type site off to the side of the scope ?

Mainly because all the MOUNTS shown here and elsewhere put the J Point or Baby Aimpoint way out there, and with the sight way out there on its own, I don't think the J Point or DR sight has the DURABILITY to survive just the average dings and bangs... Then you have to look at a Larue-guarded sight for durability... And the ball just keeps rolling...

Plus, both the J Point or Aimpoint, as well as the needed mounts, add significant weight to an already hefty rifle.

I would just like a SIMPLE iron sight set up...

Rmpl

Rmplstlskn
11-18-07, 09:08
I have been considering the same thing and may go this route. Offset rail mounts.
http://www.yhm.net/store/rails.htmlhttp://yankeehill.bizland.com/store/media/Angle_Mounts.jpg

With a good set of front and rear flip up sights.

Hey!!!! Now your cooking with oil........ :D Good ol' YHM may have my answer...

Get two of those offset mounts and the SMALLEST (yet durable) flip up sights available and I think you might have SPR perfection! :D

You will have a rifle with a quality, magnified optic (that would rarely fail anyways) and quick access to your BUIS without removing your scope... I like it!

Now I can justify the purchase of a BUIS set for this rifle, as I have been holding off due to the fact that a BUIS mounted on the 12 o-clock plane under a precision scope is about USELESS (EXPENSIVE window dressing), less all out carnage has mangled your scope beyond any usefulness (as a civvy, that possibility is VERY remote).

Too bad none of the AR crack vendors have a BLACK FRIDAY sales event...

Rmpl

mpardun
11-18-07, 09:17
They are OK, but not great (Doc is better of the 2).

I think I'd do an Aimpoint Micro (T-1 or H-1) on a LaRue mount off the front turret, something like this. Badger Ordinance does a Pic Rail arm as well.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/catalog/J-Point%20Scope%20Mount.jpg

KevinB
11-18-07, 17:27
Put a T-1 Micro on the angled riser...

IF you intend to run a BIS on those risers you will either have to leave them up at all time (a large annoyance as they will protude and get snagged) or you will end up point shooting since it take some time to flip them up - time you dont have...

Rmplstlskn
11-18-07, 20:46
Put a T-1 Micro on the angled riser...

IF you intend to run a BIS on those risers you will either have to leave them up at all time (a large annoyance as they will protude and get snagged) or you will end up point shooting since it take some time to flip them up - time you dont have...

Yeah, I have been examining online all the various BUIS options and how they would mate up with the YHM angled riser and it isn't looking like what I thought it would be like. For example, the Troy system would require at least a 3-slot YHM riser, and even then it would overhang. Same with the front... The five-slot riser is out as it will not fit behind the Larue SPR mount...

So it looks like the Aimpoint T1 on a YHM angled riser or the DR on a Larue SPR ring adapter are the ONLY options... I just didn't want to spend all that money $$$$$$. It will probably have to wait till next year before I have that kind of $$$ to throw at a recreational shooter. Till then, if needed, I will point shoot. I do pretty good (majority are chest area hits), even out to fifty yards...

I just wish there was something cheap and simple... :(

Rmpl

Loner
11-18-07, 23:55
I currently use a RDPII mini red dot with a matt burkett offset mount. You can mount it behind your magnified optics or in front. The setup should cost you around $235.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m131/loner317/IMG_0425a.jpg

Gunfighter13
11-19-07, 02:49
Yeah, I have been examining online all the various BUIS options and how they would mate up with the YHM angled riser and it isn't looking like what I thought it would be like. For example, the Troy system would require at least a 3-slot YHM riser, and even then it would overhang. Same with the front... The five-slot riser is out as it will not fit behind the Larue SPR mount...

So it looks like the Aimpoint T1 on a YHM angled riser or the DR on a Larue SPR ring adapter are the ONLY options... I just didn't want to spend all that money $$$$$$. It will probably have to wait till next year before I have that kind of $$$ to throw at a recreational shooter. Till then, if needed, I will point shoot. I do pretty good (majority are chest area hits), even out to fifty yards...

I just wish there was something cheap and simple... :(

Rmpl

The only thing about using a powered optic is that for 99% of the time you will just be burning batteries. Like KevinB said you might not have the time to flip up the sights so I would think that having to turn one on would not work unless you leave it on when you are working the gun. I had looked into mounting pistol night sights on rails instead of using flip up sights. I just want to get away from the battery-operated sights as a short range or backup sight.

Rmplstlskn
11-19-07, 14:45
I had looked into mounting pistol night sights on rails instead of using flip up sights. I just want to get away from the battery-operated sights as a short range or backup sight.

Finding a pistol sight setup would be ideal, and maybe some with tritium even... The real issue, since they are so low, is mounting them in a place the eye can use them by just flipping the rifle a few degrees without major cheek weld movement.

Since it will be awhile before I can justify a T-1 purchase, I am going to experiment with some ideas... I wish I would have kept my old glock Trijicons now ..
Rmpl