PDA

View Full Version : For you guys who dont have/use a safe

R1pper
11-18-07, 02:40
I don't have a safe as of yet, so when my stick is in storage I use a cable lock that I thread in through the ejection port and out the mag well. Should I be using a trigger lock instead? On more than one occasion I have opened up my rifle bag and have found the bolt forward, jamming the lock to the chamber:mad: . My concern here is that I will do damage to the bolt or the chamber.

czydj
11-18-07, 09:30
Why not just release the bolt manually and let it rest on the cable?

markm
11-18-07, 10:42
Why use the cable at all? Kids around?

Buy one of those cheapo metal gun cabinets that bolt to the wall. I run one as an overflow to my small safe. Even if you get a safe later, you can never have too much secure containers available.

TUNNEL RAT 33
11-18-07, 13:20
the best investment i ever made was to buy a good safe . if a perp breaks into your home and gets your stick it wont take much work for them to defeat the cable lock . they can break into my house steal my tv , stereo system , hell everything i own , but unless the savage has a crane and psychic powers to open the safe he aint gettin my guns .

they
11-18-07, 15:46
250 at harbor freight...

R1pper
11-18-07, 17:01
No, no kids (thank god) I live alone. I run the cable lock b/c its state law. Any time a firearm is not in direct control of the user it must be properly secured in a locked container (or locked in a gun bag, it counts as a locked container). And being a LEO I must set the expample to to propper firearms storage, and a charge of impropper storage of a firearm will not help me further my career.

250 at harbor freight..

I guess I will have to go into the new Harbor Frieght store that just opened up 1 town over.

WS6
11-18-07, 17:36
No, no kids (thank god) I live alone. I run the cable lock b/c its state law. Any time a firearm is not in direct control of the user it must be properly secured in a locked container (or locked in a gun bag, it counts as a locked container). And being a LEO I must set the expample to to propper firearms storage, and a charge of impropper storage of a firearm will not help me further my career.

I guess I will have to go into the new Harbor Frieght store that just opened up 1 town over.

That sucks :(

Jack_Stroker
11-18-07, 18:07
Investing in a safe is the best and most sensible option. I did it and although it was painful, protecting your investment in your weapons makes it worth every penny.

WS6
11-18-07, 18:27
Investing in a safe is the best and most sensible option. I did it and although it was painful, protecting your investment in your weapons makes it worth every penny.

My Dad has been looking for a safe but for one big enough it is a TON of money :(

Jack_Stroker
11-18-07, 19:42
My Dad has been looking for a safe but for one big enough it is a TON of money :(

He might also consider buying two smaller ones and dividing his weapons between them. I'm probably going to have to do that relatively soon.

KDG
11-18-07, 20:48
My brothers home was recently burgularized. They went through everything. Tossed drawers, closets, kitchen cabinets, locked desk......

They lost all watches, cameras, jewelery, electronics, and even stole the kids games consoles..........bastids

While it can be painfull to buy one, especially if cash is not abundant, as soon as you get it you will feel so good your stuff is reasonably safe if a robbery occurs.

Spend the cash, get a good safe, bolt it down, and keep those aholes from getting your weapons.

If you are doing it only to comply with the law, then any cheap locked cabinet should do.

I don't understand why your bolt gets jammed forward. Case so tight that it hits the lever?
I wouldn't store the gun with bolt locked back anyway, can't be to good for the spring.

R1pper
11-18-07, 21:08
When I put the case in my closet I stand it up with the butt end down. So I am thinking that its when I set the case down or it gets hit by something else. It has only happend a few time maybe three times or so. As far as the safe goes I was actually planning on buying one in the next few weeks. The Local "Dick's Sporting Goods" usually has them on sale just before christmas and I was planning on picking one up in the next few weeks.

DocMinster
11-19-07, 10:35
Besides the simple fact of having (no joke) 10K (then) between my mattress and box springs.. If some dirt bag stole my firearms and used them in a crime and injured or killed someone .... That would NOT have sat well with me... especially if the victim was a kid.

So about 1-2 years after I started purchasing "High End" weapons & many...many restless nights / days away from home. I purchased my 980lbs (empty) Cannon safe.

Best $1500.00 I ever spent. I now can sleep and an enjoy my time away from home

BTW... Check your fire rating on the unit you are going to purchase. I was about to purchase a John Deere until I found out the top 8-10" was NOT considered fire proof.

I suggest Cannon OR Liberty.

Good Luck
Doc

markm
11-19-07, 11:21
You WILL feel completely different once you know your weapons are secure. You won't know how you ever went without!

My safe isn't fire rated. But I could more easily stomach losing guns to fire damage than I could losing them to some Scumbag stealing them and using them in a crime.

offroad_nomad
11-19-07, 11:33
Yea, I'm glad I got a safe. In addition to safe keeping my firearms, I also store backup DVDs for my computer including years of family pics, tax filings, important personal papers, jewlery and other stuff too.

TWR
11-19-07, 12:44
A few years ago, a gun shop guy put it to me like this, "if you have the choice would you want to lose one of your guns or all of them?" Sell a gun or instead of buying the latest wiz-bang invest that money into a gun safe. Good safes can be had for $500 on up and probably cheaper if you shop around. I have too much money invested in my guns to rely on hiding them.

Buy a safe, you'll sleep better.

WS6
11-19-07, 20:20
He might also consider buying two smaller ones and dividing his weapons between them. I'm probably going to have to do that relatively soon.

Indeed, everything takes $$. But between his neighbors (he has rent houses on the street w/great clients who watch the place, it is a dead-end road that he owns, noone has any purpose there but to turn around b/c they got lost.) and the dogs and the fact that someone is almost always home, things are pretty secure :)

WS6
11-19-07, 20:21
You WILL feel completely different once you know your weapons are secure. You won't know how you ever went without!

My safe isn't fire rated. But I could more easily stomach losing guns to fire damage than I could losing them to some Scumbag stealing them and using them in a crime.

The new appartment I am moving into has someone on-site who sells renteres insurance and my weapons would be covered in event of a theft as long as I had pix/#'s.

Shihan
11-20-07, 02:31
The new appartment I am moving into has someone on-site who sells renteres insurance and my weapons would be covered in event of a theft as long as I had pix/#'s.

Insurance is a must but you got to look at it this way. If the your guns get stolen and we get an evil ban, what are you going to buy with the insurance check?

TWR
11-20-07, 07:01
And don't forget about the deductable, usualy about the amount of a safe...

Jack_Stroker
11-20-07, 10:37
You should never rely on insurance to cover your losses. Protect your investment in everyway possible. I for one can't stand the thought of some bastard theives getting their hands on my weapons and going out there killing people with them, robbing liquor stores or whatever.

The point about the ban is a good one. If they ban AK-47's and AR-15's, what happens if you have to rebuy these things with your insurance money and they aren't available?

rmecapn
11-21-07, 10:49
No, no kids (thank god) I live alone. I run the cable lock b/c its state law. Any time a firearm is not in direct control of the user it must be properly secured in a locked container (or locked in a gun bag, it counts as a locked container).

Good on you for maintaining your integrity as a professional. Does the law specify it has to have a trigger/cable lock or just be in a locked container?

My state has no such law, butI keep my firearms in a locked closet as I do not have the space/funding for a safe.

Jack_Stroker
11-21-07, 11:08
If you can afford guns and ammunition, you can afford a safe.

I can't stress the importance of a safe enough. Even a wall/floor mounted lockable cabinet is better than nothing.

R1pper
11-21-07, 13:07
Does the law specify it has to have a trigger/cable lock or just be in a locked container?

The only specifics are that it must be 1. In a container (Safe, Gun Bag, or hard case) 2. The weapon itself or the case must be locked. So I could in a sense lock the container and not the weapon but in my mine what the hell good is that. The BG could just cut/break the case open.

rmecapn
11-21-07, 14:21
If you can afford guns and ammunition, you can afford a safe.

The locked closet is secure enough for my purposes.

I can't stress the importance of a safe enough. Even a wall/floor mounted lockable cabinet is better than nothing.

How do you handle the issue of the home defense weapon? Keeping the majority of the firearms and ammunition behind lock and key is reasonable. I'm just curious how others secure those weapons they claim are for home defense?

Deadcenter45
11-21-07, 14:44
I have a $89 8 rifle steel box from Bi-Mart bolted to the wall. My vintage military rifles are too long to use the shelf inside of it, but they fit. It may not be fireproof or stop a determined thief, but it is better than nothing.

xringshooter
11-21-07, 15:26
rmecapn,

I have a small safe in my closet (walk in) lagged to a stud. I lock up one of my home defense guns (Ruger GP100 3" bbl) every morning before going to work. At night it comes out and sits on the nightstand beside me. My shotgun sits tucked behind my clothes with a cable lock that is secured to a wall stud and it comes out and gets put just under my side of the bed at night. In the morning it gets locked back up.

DrDrake
11-21-07, 17:56
Why use the cable at all? Kids around?

Buy one of those cheapo metal gun cabinets that bolt to the wall. I run one as an overflow to my small safe. Even if you get a safe later, you can never have too much secure containers available.

Great! I agree with you on this one. Great point.

williejc
11-21-07, 20:05
In addition to having a safe(or even if you don't), one can plant junker, fake, or old bb guns in cases as decoys. Fake long guns can be made from ply board and pipe. Altho putting out this much effort may seem to be a lot of trouble, the crook will be leaving your place with junk. Be creative and seal the cases so they can't be inspected and label them with brand names and recognizable calibers. You can easily do this with handgun cases and fake specimens. You can ask around for old cases--fabric or plastic--or purchase a few very low- end cases. Gun show circuit vendors often have many old cases.

Avoid this mistake: storing handguns neatly in a tool bag or some such case, which then becomes a basket with all your eggs in it.

Many of us are lazy about recording serial numbers, which are essential for crime reports and insurance claims.

Another strategy to slow thieves down is to separate the two AR assemblies and store in different places. Also one can remove the bcg from uppers and hide these parts.

Just my thoughts on this matter. Any comments?

Willliejc

scottryan
11-21-07, 22:57
Here is some important advice for those looking at getting a safe.

Two medium safes (~30" width) are better than one large safe for the following reasons.

1. The medium safes are smaller in size and offer more options for placement around your home. Thus they can be placed in more discrete places.

2. Medium safes are easier to move into your house yet still large enough they can't be hauled away by a thief.

3. Medium safes can fit down you basement. The basement is more discrete when you have company over to your house. Basement = less attention.

4. You can split your collection between two safes thus not all your eggs are in one basket should your house flood, or catch fire, or a thief gets to one safe.

5. The two medium safes offer more volume than a large safe for the same money.

6. Due to being able to place multiple medium safes around your house, you can get to your guns quickly and discretely in one area of your house while the intruder is in another area of your house.

Jack_Stroker
11-22-07, 11:15
The locked closet is secure enough for my purposes.

If you say so. I hope this attitude never comes back to bite you. That is the "it won't ever happen to me attitude". To each their own I guess, but I think you are completely wrong here. Then again who am I to decide how valuable your collection is?

How do you handle the issue of the home defense weapon? Keeping the majority of the firearms and ammunition behind lock and key is reasonable. I'm just curious how others secure those weapons they claim are for home defense?

I have two pistols that I usually have on my person. If I'm not dressed to go out and I'm loafing around the house I'll keep at least one of them near me at all times. So if I'm watching TV in the living room, my 1911 is on the couch with me. I also sometimes keep a shotgun or an AR-15 next to the bed. If I'm having company over, or I'm leaving the house that weapon goes in the safe. If I have to go somewhere I can't legally carry a gun, they all go in the safe until I return.

So I always have a weapon at hand, but the bulk of my collection is secured in the safe. Safes aren't a 100% surefire safety net, but it will prevent theft most of the time.

uranus
11-22-07, 21:07
The only specifics are that it must be 1. In a container (Safe, Gun Bag, or hard case) 2. The weapon itself or the case must be locked. So I could in a sense lock the container and not the weapon but in my mine what the hell good is that. The BG could just cut/break the case open.

In MA, if you merely want to comply with the legal requirement to secure a weapon, you could use a trigger lock. If you want additional security from theft, you can purchase a small Cannon fire-rated safe on sale from Costco.com for 649.00 delivered. I have a small safe bolted to the floor and alarmed on a separate zone, albeit it's not burglar-proof.

R1pper
11-22-07, 22:05
I am actually going with this safe. Im going to pick it up next week some time

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2033185&cp=2292630&pg=2&sr=1&origkw=gun+safes&parentPage=family

Jack_Stroker
11-22-07, 23:44
I am actually going with this safe. Im going to pick it up next week some time

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2033185&cp=2292630&pg=2&sr=1&origkw=gun+safes&parentPage=family

Excellent. My advice is to bolt it to concrete or at least secure it to the wall somewhere in a fashion that makes it very difficult to steal.

czydj
11-23-07, 07:55
Excellent. My advice is to bolt it to concrete or at least secure it to the wall somewhere in a fashion that makes it very difficult to steal.

Another potential anti-theft addition I heard about that seems to make sense for a "lighter" safe is adding a couple/few hundred pounds of some cheap, plate weights to the bottom. (space permitting, of course...)

Jim Colborn
11-23-07, 09:04
Being this subject came up, would anyone know of a company that manufactures a safe to use in your clothes cupboard that mounts between the studs and either has a key lock or digital key pad for a long gun ?

Jim

BreckS
11-23-07, 12:55
I concede that, obviously, an expensive gun safe is the best.

However, no one has mentioned using a job site tool storage box. While they are not fire proof, a tool storage box is pretty secure, can be bolted down, and depending on the size, has tremendous volume (ie. 48"w x 24"d x 24"t). Also, larger boxes can't easily be moved by one person, especially if heavily loaded.

HLDefender
11-23-07, 15:51
I just picked up one of these a few months back....

http://www.stack-on.com/securityplus/gun_safes/gs-16blk.html

HLD...

Jack_Stroker
11-23-07, 20:29
I concede that, obviously, an expensive gun safe is the best.

However, no one has mentioned using a job site tool storage box. While they are not fire proof, a tool storage box is pretty secure, can be bolted down, and depending on the size, has tremendous volume (ie. 48"w x 24"d x 24"t). Also, larger boxes can't easily be moved by one person, especially if heavily loaded.

I've never thought of that, but that's a good idea depending on the type of lock you use.

Thermodyn
11-24-07, 02:03
In MA, if you merely want to comply with the legal requirement to secure a weapon, you could use a trigger lock. If you want additional security from theft, you can purchase a small Cannon fire-rated safe on sale from Costco.com for 649.00 delivered. I have a small safe bolted to the floor and alarmed on a separate zone, albeit it's not burglar-proof.

X2 on the Costco safe by Cannon. I wish they had been available at the time I bought my Browning. You'd be hard pressed to find a better safe for the money IMHO, plus the free delivery just seals the deal. Last I checked, they are rated to 1200 deg for 30 min, come with a combo EZ out interior and are handsome to boot.

Shihan
11-24-07, 17:41
X2 on the Costco safe by Cannon. I wish they had been available at the time I bought my Browning. You'd be hard pressed to find a better safe for the money IMHO, plus the free delivery just seals the deal. Last I checked, they are rated to 1200 deg for 30 min, come with a combo EZ out interior and are handsome to boot.

Does Costco bring it in the house or is it curbside delivery?

WS6
11-24-07, 18:11
Insurance is a must but you got to look at it this way. If the your guns get stolen and we get an evil ban, what are you going to buy with the insurance check?

My car COULD use some long-tube headers, a cam, and a nice tune by HPE...

...I would still be very sad though and you have a very VERY good point. Besides...

Would they cut me a check for TMV, or for MSRP? THAT! is the question :(

Also, yes, irreplacable. :( Not cool.

God
Family
GF/Friends
Dog
Firearms
Cars

That is pretty much how my "family" heirarcy is set up. So sue me if you dont like it.

WS6
11-24-07, 18:13
Does Costco bring it in the house or is it curbside delivery?

again, my sense of sarcasm deserts me if this is it BUT:

I used to be a sales rep for Sears (appliances section, that included fridges, ect.)

We always had a "customer pickup" option that saves $30 or so, but there was usually a delivery involved as not everyone (even here in the south) owned a truck. Delivery was pretty cheap IIRC and since installation shouldn't be an issue with a gun safe, I would think if Costco is anything like Sears, yes they would deliver to your house either for free or a small fee.

Tom_Jones
11-25-07, 03:55
deleted

Thermodyn
11-27-07, 02:29
I recently purchased a safe from Costco. It was curbside delivery.

That is correct.

When I bought my safe, I rented a piano dolly. $6 for one hour. I had a buddy help me, but with the dolly, I could have done it myself. Stairs would require a friend or two however.

Shihan
11-27-07, 15:26
Thanks guys.

czydj
11-27-07, 16:55
That is correct.

When I bought my safe, I rented a piano dolly.

Do you think you could have done it with a Refrigerator dolly? My physics is a little rusty so I'm having trouble calculating the downward force on the handles of the dolly from a 500lb object levered onto a 40* angle... :D

knguye11
11-27-07, 17:30
If you have less than 10 rifles, check out safe at Home Depot. Price is reasonable for couple of models they have there.

Shihan
11-27-07, 19:04
If you have less than 10 rifles, check out safe at Home Depot. Price is reasonable for couple of models they have there.

Thye only do curbside as well. i was going to grab one this weekend.

babaracus
11-27-07, 20:49
I purchased from Costco last year with inside delivery. To anyone buying or getting "free delivery" from any company please read the fine print. Costco uses an independent carrier and the delivery terms will vary. In my case, the safe was going upstairs - delivery accounted for one flight of stairs, but they tried to count my 3 exterior steps as a flight and tack on the main staircase. They also showed up the first time with two scrawny guys that didn't know they had to deliver a safe. I hated to screw the local safe guy out of a sale but the price difference was $250 - big box wins again.

Walmart and Lowes also carry Sentry safe. Walmart has carried these in store the past two years before Christmas (although now my suburban WM is "gun free" after a remodel) and have gone on clearance shortly after Christmas.

GunVault is a good option for handguns for around $100. A buddy of mine has been happy with Center of Mass boxes (http://www.center-of-mass.com/) if quick access is not a priority.

Thermodyn
11-28-07, 01:09
Do you think you could have done it with a Refrigerator dolly? My physics is a little rusty so I'm having trouble calculating the downward force on the handles of the dolly from a 500lb object levered onto a 40* angle... :D

I would not recommend a standard appliance dolly. As you suspect, the balancing act would be ridiculous. The piano dolly I rented had retractable legs, each with a wheel, so as you tilt it back the weight rests on the second set of wheels. Much more manageable for one person. Again, stairs would require at least one if not two additional people, depending on the size/weight of your safe. My Browning is around 600lbs I think.

Thermodyn
11-28-07, 01:29
again, my sense of sarcasm deserts me if this is it BUT:

I used to be a sales rep for Sears (appliances section, that included fridges, ect.)

We always had a "customer pickup" option that saves $30 or so, but there was usually a delivery involved as not everyone (even here in the south) owned a truck. Delivery was pretty cheap IIRC and since installation shouldn't be an issue with a gun safe, I would think if Costco is anything like Sears, yes they would deliver to your house either for free or a small fee.

Costco sells the safe for $849+tax, delivery included. Right now, they offer an after-tax rebate of $200. So the safe is $649+tax to your curb. This same safe is in stock at my local Costco store for $730. Of course, it is cash & carry.

I'm not sure what the rules for posting external links are on this forum, so I'll refrain from doing so. But you can view the safe, and all the details on Costco.com. Search "safe" and it is the first result.