PDA

View Full Version : I know it's been discussed, so please just point me to the thread

chapperjoe
10-12-11, 10:16
For a home defense gun, does the extra barrel length on a M&P9mm pro offer any terminal ballistic advantage?

I realize the sight radius is a bit longer and maybe the extra weight up front helps a little with recoil.

ra2bach
10-12-11, 12:21
I don't know of a thread but it's a simple answer. the 1/2" barrel is not going to make a material difference in terminal performance.

the sight radius is enhanced and balance is more in line with what action pistol competitors would favor though I don't see how this would be any advantage in a HD situation.

I have both the PRO and FS. I use the PRO in a Bladetech holster for gun games, and the FS is for serious use with TLR1 mounted and carried in a Safariland ALS holster.

Beat Trash
10-12-11, 14:25
I bought a M&P9L (the same length as the 5" Pro) when they first came out. I ended up selling it off as I didn't shoot it any better than the M&P9 I was carrying as an issued gun. And I actually preferred the balance of the regular M&P9.

The extra barrel length won't matter in a home defense situation as far as any ballistic advantage. The one advantage is if your home defense pistol has a light mounted to it, such as a Surefire x300, the muzzle will come about flush with the light. This produces less grime and funk on the light when practicing. Though in an actual home defense incident, this is going to be irrelevant.

Short answer is if you like the 5" Pro, then buy one, as they're a good gun. But it offers no advantage over the standard full size M&P for a home defense gun.

one
10-13-11, 10:31
Just to give you an example of what the others are talking about. A friend and I used his chronograph to determine velocities from various guns and calibers.

When we got to the Glock 19 and Glock 26 there was exactly a 50 fps difference in velocity on every round we tried in it across the board. And we tried a lot of different ammunition weights and brands.

Lincoln7
10-13-11, 11:00
Get the Pro if you intend to shoot competitively and get the full size if you intend to carry it or defend your house. Although either one will fill either role if necessary.

markm
10-13-11, 11:04
For a home defense gun

Not to derail.... but a pistol doesn't qualify as a home defense gun to me. ;)

But if it's part of the home D system... Bigger is always better.

J8127
10-13-11, 11:06
Worst thread title ever.

Lincoln7
10-13-11, 12:33
Not to derail.... but a pistol doesn't qualify as a home defense gun to me. ;)

I definitely understand what you are saying but a pistol has a couple advantages for a HD firearm. The biggest for me is I am most proficient with one over either a rifle or shotgun. Second, it's a lot less crazy to carry a pistol to the front door everytime a stranger knocks. I also fear the compensator on my shortest AR will destroy my hearing if fired in such close quarters. Sorry for derailing further.

Back on track, OP, what are all of your intentions with said firearm?