PDA

View Full Version : Fenix PD30 Weapon Light?

Sprocketeer
10-12-11, 12:15
I just wanted to hear some thoughts about using a Fenix PD30 as a weapon light on an AR.

Acceptable light output?
Durability?
Whatever else you have experience with...

Thanks

sadmin
10-12-11, 12:31
I cant comment on the durability because I havent done any low light classes with it. I have the PD20 in a GS mount and it still works after 5K rounds or so, but again, not a very good data point since it was never even toggled. Its 180lumens and that is more than adequate for a HD role. If I was going to use a $100 or less small body light though, I would check out the RA and 4Sevens line, I hear good things.

ra2bach
10-12-11, 13:07
I don't use lights with multiple output settings, if any of them are less than full power on a weapon.

the one exception is I do have a TLR1S that one of the settings is a strobe but that is a deliberate secondary function and can be disabled in any case.

mkmckinley
10-12-11, 13:33
I don't think anything about the Fenix series or similar lights lends themselves to use as a weaponlight. Unless they've changed they turn on when the tailcap is released. They also have many different output modes that must be cycled through. The one I had was more of a thrower and didn't have a great beam profile for peripheral vision. They also aren't the best quality from a durability standpoint. Out of three that I've owned one had the switch or the electronics, I could never figure out which, shit the bed. I wouldn't put one on an AR.

matemike
10-12-11, 14:54
I feel like my PD 30 is not only brighter, but has a longer battery life than my Surefire E series lights. But the Fenix is not nearly as durable as the Surefire, and the multiple settings would not make it a good weapon light. Especially since sone of the functions require a twist of the bezel along with taps on the tail cap button. Not a good weapon light. But for sixty bucks, they do hold spots in my hunting gear bag, Shtf bag, hurricane kit, and kitchen drawers.

maximus83
10-12-11, 15:16
I use my Fenix PD20 for an EDC and it's fine in that role. It's been dropped on hard surfaces, gotten wet, and in general has worked well for daily pocket carry. I'd assume that the PD30 is similar in that respect. But on my AR's, I stick with a Surefire G2z and a G2 LED, they seem more rugged.

Romanov
10-12-11, 17:54
I know someone who has used some Fenix and 4sevens lights on an AR and they held up fine to recoil, however he did eventually just switch to a single output SureFire G2 LED. The nagging feeling that somehow Murphy's Law would guarantee that the variable output light would come on in the 4 lumen mode instead of 300 lumen mode at that one critical life or death moment was enough to get him to switch.

IMO, there's just too many variables with the multiple mode Chinese lights. I think it's both easier and better to stick with a more KISS style light.

Sprocketeer
10-12-11, 18:04
Thanks for all of the great input and experience! That is exactly what I expected to get.

SW-Shooter
10-12-11, 18:16
Just letting you know that I cannot get anyone from Fenix to respond to my warranty claim. Buyer beware.

turdbocharged
10-13-11, 14:13
I have had the Fenix TK11R2 on my 6920 for 2 years now. It has been through 3 thousand rounds and two carbine courses. It still turns on, and no issues yet. I DO plan on getting a Surefire as this is just a placeholder really. However this model has only one setting and does have momentary on when you press the tailcap IN. Also you can switch from 65 lumens to 230 lumens by rotating the lamp assembly one full turn. If you are wondering that recoil could cause this to accidentally engage/disengage then dont, I have not had any issues whatsoever with this flashlight. They say the TK11 is built like a tank and for the 60ish(cant remember) bucks that I paid for it I feel that it has done it's job as a placeholder until I can afford a Surefire. My only wish is that I had ordered more.

YMMV

Edit: I also purchased it from 4sevens, great company, good CS.

Bimmer
10-24-11, 08:58
However this model has only one setting and does have momentary on when you press the tailcap IN. Also you can switch from 65 lumens to 230 lumens by rotating the lamp assembly one full turn.

This is how my Fenix flashlights work, too.

It's nice to hear that they're generally turning out to quite durable...

turdbocharged
10-24-11, 13:02
This is how my Fenix flashlights work, too.

It's nice to hear that they're generally turning out to quite durable...

Agreed, Im definitley going to get more. I see they have an r5 tk11 out now on 4sevens.com.