PDA

View Full Version : Handloading 9mm - 124 v 147 Golden Saber?

wha-tah-hey
10-12-11, 17:08
Hi all -

I got my M&P9 yesterday and, as Gold Dots seem to be unavailable, am wanting to know if there's any reason, as far as terminal ballistics goes, to pay more for the heavier Golden Saber?
They're both on Doc's recommended list and cheaper means I could practice more with what I carry. :D

Thanks.

ImBroke
10-12-11, 19:26
If they're both on his list, then I would pick the one that was most accurate and reliable in my gun.

skyugo
10-12-11, 19:27
the FBI is using 147 grain now i believe.. I'd make sure it runs in your gun though... 147 is definitely on the upper end of the spectrum of what 9mm can throw. I'd imagine the m&p being a newer gun would be designed for it, but i know some older 9mm's, p7's for one, do not "do" 147 grain.

wha-tah-hey
10-12-11, 19:49
Understand, I haven't yet shot either, and of course, which suits my gun would be the final determinant.

I've read on this forum that the M&P9 is designed/intended for +P loads.
If so, I'm thinking that'd be the one to try first.

Are there reasons, other than which mine likes, to shoot 147 gr for SD?

Alaskapopo
10-12-11, 23:39
I used to hate 147 grain loads back when I was in the high velocty fan club. But the fact is this bullet weight when combined with a good bullet design does things very well. Its better for penetration through windshield glass and it generally penetrates and expands more. We issue the +p147 grain Federal HST which is going 1080 out of my Glock 17 when I chroned it.
Pat

wha-tah-hey
10-13-11, 00:09
I used to hate 147 grain loads back when I was in the high velocty fan club. But the fact is this bullet weight when combined with a good bullet design does things very well. Its better for penetration through windshield glass and it generally penetrates and expands more. We issue the +p147 grain Federal HST which is going 1080 out of my Glock 17 when I chroned it.
Pat

Though that seems generally considered to be more LEO-encountered situations, I do drive enough to give it some thought - it's certainly worth "anti-Murphy" consideration. ;)

Tnx Pat.

DrJSW
10-26-11, 18:38
Are you planning to carry your handloads, or just practice with them? I don't recommend home reloads for carry purposes, but if you choose to, that's your business. Do yourself a favor and buy a Wilson case gauge to be sure every round you carry falls into spec.

If you're going to be carrying a 120-130 gr factory JHP, then buy the GS bullets in a similar weight and work up a load that shoots to the same POI as your carry ammo. It might take a few trips to the range and a few hours at your reloading bench, but it'll be worth it.

wha-tah-hey
10-26-11, 19:04
Are you planning to carry your handloads, or just practice with them? I don't recommend home reloads for carry purposes, but if you choose to, that's your business. Do yourself a favor and buy a Wilson case gauge to be sure every round you carry falls into spec.

If you're going to be carrying a 120-130 gr factory JHP, then buy the GS bullets in a similar weight and work up a load that shoots to the same POI as your carry ammo. It might take a few trips to the range and a few hours at your reloading bench, but it'll be worth it.

Yes, I'll carry them also.
I bought several hundred 124 gr Gold Dots, as the GS's weren't available after all, and I've worked up a load that chronos 1220 fps (corrected MV) from my M&P, <4" @ 25yds benched.

I've had only 1 FTF (not my reload, but a factory load) out of 160+ rounds so far, I'm sure from limp-wristing on the bench while focused on accuracy/velocity results rather than grip.

But I certainly agree that in-spec ammo is a must.
I've been reloading for nearly 50 years, and I trust my methods and results.

regards,

legumeofterror
10-27-11, 15:05
the FBI is using 147 grain now i believe.. I'd make sure it runs in your gun though... 147 is definitely on the upper end of the spectrum of what 9mm can throw. I'd imagine the m&p being a newer gun would be designed for it, but i know some older 9mm's, p7's for one, do not "do" 147 grain.

The barrel twist rate of the M&P is on the slow side, and may not do great with heavier bullets.