PDA

View Full Version : Did I adjust my x-mark trigger wrong?

sabresbrs
10-12-11, 20:25
Hey guys, I have a rem 700 with an x-mark trigger so I decided to adjust it. Long story short, I kept turning the screw with the allen wrench until the screw came completely out. Did I do something wrong or is that normal for the screw to come out? Thanks in advance.

deadly0311
10-12-11, 21:22
That screw is supposed to stay in, normally adjusting triggers is best completed when you know something about doing it. There is a pin and a spring (if i remember right) that you need to make sure are still in there.

I would probably just take it to someone who knows what they are doing at this point if I were you.

orkan
10-12-11, 21:57
Screw the screw back in until it makes contact. Then adjust to likeness.

I would say if you are adjusting an xmark, you are wrong.

Replace it with a timney 510.

markm
10-13-11, 08:15
I would say if you are adjusting an xmark, you are wrong.

Agreed. That thing is NOT ajustable. I backed my screw out pretty far and it didn't change the trigger pull guage a bit.

Get your Timney and adjust it to your liking before you put the action back in the stock.

dieselgeek
10-13-11, 09:49
Same here, the trigger is nothing like a Timney.

Roodoodog
10-14-11, 03:16
Have heard great things about the Timney, just havent had the bank as of yet. When I adjusted my X-mark I had it almost all the way out and got down to around the 2.5lb mark from memory.

maximus83
10-14-11, 11:25
Agreed. That thing is NOT ajustable. I backed my screw out pretty far and it didn't change the trigger pull guage a bit.

Get your Timney and adjust it to your liking before you put the action back in the stock.

I don't own a Timney, but until just recently owned a Remmy with the Xmark Pro and they definitely have little useful adjustment range. They're just "ok" for a factory trigger but not great. The advice to get the Timney also seems like a good idea from the perspective of cost. By the time you pay a gunsmith to fix your "not-so-adjustable" Xmark Pro, you'll have a good chunk of change invested and still will have a non-adjustable, rather ho-hum factory trigger. Spending roughly $130 toward the cost of a Timney gets you a quality trigger group that you can drop in and adjust yourself. Seems like smart money.

If I get another Remmy, particularly the SPS Varmint in LH that I'm considering, a Timney will be a must.

Gutshot John
10-14-11, 12:23
I was under the impression that the X-pro trigger was more in response to fixing the original design flaw of the 700 (subject of so much controversy) than it was to offer any performance advantage.

It doesn't surprise me that they marketed it as a performance change, but it's pretty clear that it's of marginal improved benefit.

That said the ones I've used have been adequate though I've never tried to adjust them. It still beats the hell out of the Savage accu-trigger.

maximus83
10-14-11, 12:31
That said the ones I've used have been adequate though I've never tried to adjust them. It still beats the hell out of the Savage accu-trigger.

Agree with that GJ. For a FACTORY trigger, the Xmark Pro is decent and certainly better than the goofy bladed safety-thingy on the Accutrigger. Love my Savage 10, hate the Accutrigger. The Xmark Pro was relatively better than that on my SPS Tactical (corrected: I meant, the Xmark Pro on my SPS Tactical was relatively better than that on my Savage 10). And that's true despite the fact that the Xmark was a bit heavier (at about 3.3 to 3.5 lbs), and you could adjust the AccuTrigger. But even with the lighter pull, that bladed safety device was always a nuisance. I plan to replace my Savage Accutrigger with a Rifle Basix or the SSS trigger.

markm
10-14-11, 12:56
I have that accutrigger on my Rimfire Savage. The trigger thingy is distracting, but I don't mind it too much.

maximus83
10-14-11, 13:13
I have that accutrigger on my Rimfire Savage. The trigger thingy is distracting, but I don't mind it too much.

Yeah my Dad has a rimfire Savage as well (.17 hmr) with Accutrigger. Like my 10FLP, I can shoot it very accurately, but it just bugs me and I prefer a "traditional" smooth bladed trigger with a light pull, at least on a bolt-action rifle. My Savage 10 has pretty much been a custom project from the get-go, and the only thing I haven't addressed yet is the trigger.

As for the Timney though, if I eventually get back into the Remmy 700 platform (I'd prefer that they make the SPS Tactical in LH--but not holding my breath for that), I'll definitely get a Timney as well. The Xmark is just "ok" for me, you can shoot pretty accurately with it and it doesn't have a lot of creep, but still too heavy for my taste. As for the OP, seems like the Timney solves two problems at once.