PDA

View Full Version : 11-18-07 Steel Challenge @ BH2O

mark5pt56
11-18-07, 17:47
Well, what a great day weather wise for the match! Not a bad day shooting, started off kind of weak, but I picked it up as time went on. I shot the M&P 9 as did Dinger and Subzero. I ended up using sight black on my sights before match time. Gave a good contrast with the white steel. I guess the Blackwater Shooters site will have the results soon-I hope.

It was a pleasure meeting some of the site faces, although Dinger still looks the same----

We tried getting with the Virginia Arms crew, but the squad would've been to big.

Subzero was showing off his Sharkskin job on his M&P, it looked great! He's going to do one for me, just on the right side and what my strong hand covers in the back for concealed carry-no shirt in the summer.

Mark

M4arc
11-18-07, 19:06
Sounds good and congrats to the M4C - M&P crew! :D

BTW, how did The Devil shoot? ;)

mark5pt56
11-18-07, 19:21
The M&P's ran great! Actually, all guns did with the exception of some race guns that we saw on another squad--but that's a whole other story----:rolleyes: :(

The Devil was dealing death to the steel! Right on time---------------, did I say something about time?

M4arc
11-18-07, 19:39
The Devil said it was a long day and that it was fun being in the same squad as you and subzero.

Robb Jensen
11-19-07, 11:21
It was a great time with great weather.
I snuck (past tense of sneak) a pic of Dinger shooting the 'Smoke and Hope' stage.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/steelchallengePaul.jpg

It was a lot of fun even though I shot rimfire due to the large cut on my hand.

And this is our Team VA Arms shooters that attended.

Me
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/steelchallengeRobb22.jpg
Dan
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/steelchallengeDan.jpg
Luis (aka Looey)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/steelchallengeLooey.jpg
Pat (aka Tactical Shooter)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/steelchallengePat.jpg

and 9x19 shot her suppressed Tactical Solutions/Ruger with AAC Pilot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/steelchallenge9x19.jpg

VA_Dinger
11-19-07, 12:02
I had a good time and the weather was perfect. It was really nice to finally get a day off and do some shooting. It was also nice to meet up with Gotm4, mark5pt56, Subzero, and to finally meet 9x19.

The match itself was fun for sure but to be perfectly honest I strongly prefer the monthly matches for some reason.

My M&P performed like a champ, as did every other one I noticed.

GotM4’s picture tells me two things:

(1.) I need to work on rotating my support hand more for the thumbs forward technique – pictures don’t lie. I guess with the added stress of competition I was cheating a bit on my technique and that’s a bad idea. Now that I should be getting more time off to shoot, I can work on it.
(2.) I need a haircut.

FYI - Having a time of 666 does turn a few heads when the score keeper calls it out. :D My ex-wives would have been proud.

mark5pt56
11-19-07, 17:43
I plan to outfit a Buckmark with the 4" Tactical Innovations upper, compensated with a dot and bring my 10 yo son for the spring one. He would really enjoy it. That'll give me an excuse to get the Micro Dot.

Actually, I have to see what other dots may be better suited for that role.

We had some first time match shooters yesterday. They appeared to have alot of fun at it. I do hope that the couple shooting the .22's purchase better ammunition though!

Dinger, go by Caste Barbershop on PA Rd. & Tiffany--great flat tops!

Mark

rhino
11-19-07, 18:01
Man! I haven't shot a steel match in over a week! :D

Other than 3-gun, steel matches are about as much fun as you can have shooting. They're also some of the best practice in terms of shooting skills that you can get. You have to learn to balance speed and accuracy based on your own ability level, and you get a good idea of how hard you can push yourself and still get hits.

If anyone hasn't tried steel yet, they should.

Robb Jensen
11-19-07, 18:08
I plan to outfit a Buckmark with the 4" Tactical Innovations upper, compensated with a dot and bring my 10 yo son for the spring one. He would really enjoy it. That'll give me an excuse to get the Micro Dot.

Actually, I have to see what other dots may be better suited for that role.

We had some first time match shooters yesterday. They appeared to have alot of fun at it. I do hope that the couple shooting the .22's purchase better ammunition though!

Dinger, go by Caste Barbershop on PA Rd. & Tiffany--great flat tops!

Mark

Mark,
The Tactical Solutions barrel for the Buckmark isn't considered a 'firearm' like it is on the Rugers (might be easy to bring home ;) ). And you can get it with a Picatinny railed 'bridge' for the receiver. They're damn light. 9x19 really likes hers on the MKIII 22/45 pistol I bought her last Christmas. With the can mounted and the gun fully loaded it still weighs less than the steel upper it came with. I'd say an Aimpoint H1 or R1 would be great on a Browning. 9x19s is much more accurate with the can mounted for some reason. Looks like a pattern with out it, she shot Remington Thunderbolt.

Rhino,
I 100% agree. The steel can be humbling if you're not ready for it. Here's my score sheet from yesterday. The 30sec run was when my old MKII Ruger 22/45 jammed up really good on 'Smoke and Hope', it was our last stage and the pistol was getting really dirty. I shot Remington Golden Bullet (the loose stuff in the 525 round packs).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/robb-3.jpg

Robb

rhino
11-19-07, 18:14
I can't get my Ruger 22/45 to run with anything reliably, or else I'd shoot it in steel too. I may sell it and get a Buckmark.

Robb Jensen
11-19-07, 18:25
I can't get my Ruger 22/45 to run with anything reliably, or else I'd shoot it in steel too. I may sell it and get a Buckmark.

Try a Volquartsen Exact Edge extractor, they cost about $12 and make a WORLD of difference. My Ruger used to be really finicky on ammo......then the stock extractor broke at 7K rounds. It now has over 14K rounds on it (total) and since putting in the Exact Edge at 7K rounds it'll run on any high velocity ammo.

Looey
11-19-07, 18:41
awesome match.
It was good shooting with the VA Arms team again, i guess i will try to introduce myself next time to VA dinger and the rest of the guys from M4carbine. I am now living around chesapeake and it would be cool to keep shooting together.

mark5pt56
11-19-07, 19:20
Mark,
The Tactical Solutions barrel for the Buckmark isn't considered a 'firearm' like it is on the Rugers (might be easy to bring home ). And you can get it with a Picatinny railed 'bridge' for the receiver. They're damn light. 9x19 really likes hers on the MKIII 22/45 pistol I bought her last Christmas. With the can mounted and the gun fully loaded it still weighs less than the steel upper it came with. I'd say an Aimpoint H1 or R1 would be great on a Browning. 9x19s is much more accurate with the can mounted for some reason. Looks like a pattern with out it, she shot Remington Thunderbolt.

Tactical Solutions, how did I get Innovations? 300 clams for the upper, rail and comp. Man, it never ends!

awesome match.
It was good shooting with the VA Arms team again, i guess i will try to introduce myself next time to VA dinger and the rest of the guys from M4carbine. I am now living around chesapeake and it would be cool to keep shooting together.

Sounds like a plan!

I 100% agree. The steel can be humbling if you're not ready for it.

Yeah, speaking of which, my day started with a miss!

9x19
11-19-07, 21:57
The match was great fun! It was great to meet Dinger and see everyone else again.

SHIVAN
11-19-07, 22:30
Do you have to be "qualified" to shoot??

My New Year resolution is to shoot in comps absolutely for fun....

Thought Blackwater is quite a drive for fun, I am tired of shooting alone.:(

mark5pt56
11-19-07, 23:38

Nope, just have to furnish some personal info to the club so they can send it to Blackwater for access. There's a wide range of shooters there for the matches. Go to www.blackwatershooters.com Gotm4 has a link above this thread as well.

Dport
11-19-07, 23:52
Nope, just have to furnish some personal info to the club so they can send it to Blackwater for access. There's a wide range of shooters there for the matches. Go to www.blackwatershooters.com Gotm4 has a link above this thread as well.

I submitted info earlier this year and never heard back. Is that normal?

(Not that it mattered. I ended up not being available ever single fricken time. :mad: )

chris914
11-20-07, 04:15
You guys and gal are killing me! I had hoped that I would be back to shoot this match. I guess that I will have to wait until the spring match. I will also be shooting an M&P. I am glad to hear that you are finally getting some trigger time in, Dinger. You have really started sliding down the slippery slope of all work and no play.
D-port, if you email Terry about your information he will get back to you. He may have just forgotten.
Shivan, you need to come down and shoot. We need a with an H&K to shoot with. Heck if everyone came down to shoot the same match there would be a full M4-C squad.:D

Robb Jensen
11-20-07, 06:20
If I did my math correctly this is how our group did:

Team VA Arms:
(Robb) gotm4 = 118.18 (rimfire)
(Luis) Looey = 122.60 (production)
Dan = 143.13 (production)
(Pat) Tactical Shooter = 161.39 (production)

Team VA Arms official photographer:
(Bonnie) 9x19 = 248.45 (rimfire)

friends:
(Tim) BigTinVA = 177.20 (production)
Chad = 156.14 (production)
Trish = 271.03 (production)
Alan = 107.26 (open)

Robb Jensen
11-20-07, 06:43

No 'qualification' necessary, just email Terry Bailado on the www.blackwatershooters.com website with your information to get on the match announcement list. (BW matches are the 3rd Sunday of every month, there's no Dec match). You can carpool down with us if you want (to save some gas money), we meet up in Fredericksburg. (most of BW matches have either a rifle or shotgun side match which is just 1 stage of typically 30 rounds or less. Our group will all be shooting SBRs for the Jan 08 side match).

Same deal with Fredericksburg USPSA (starts back up in March 08 weather permitting) for that one email Tino at bad320(AT)aol.com to get on the announcement list (matches are the 1st Sunday of the month).

PM for more info on North Mountain (Strasburg VA) USPSA and York PA USPSA both excellent matches (currently both are the 2nd Sunday of the month).

I will have to warn you, shooting competition is addicting and makes shooting at still targets on a square range boring as hell.

Joe Mamma
11-20-07, 13:10
gotM4, did Pat like his trigger more after he shot the match? I'm wondering if shooting the match gave him a different perspective.

I'm looking forward to the Jan 20 Blackwater match. I've got to get up to speed with my AR before then!

Joe Mamma

Robb Jensen
11-20-07, 13:15
gotM4, did Pat like his trigger more after he shot the match? I'm wondering if shooting the match gave him a different perspective.

I'm looking forward to the Jan 20 Blackwater match. I've got to get up to speed with my AR before then!

Joe Mamma

He took the drop in $200 Vanek trigger out (and Vanek striker) and installed a fitted Ghost Rocket connector that I gave him. He liked it better than the Vanek I think. I think he's returning the Vanek trigger.

Hawkeye
11-20-07, 13:33
GotM4’s picture tells me two things:

(1.) I need to work on rotating my support hand more for the thumbs forward technique – pictures don’t lie. I guess with the added stress of competition I was cheating a bit on my technique and that’s a bad idea. Now that I should be getting more time off to shoot, I can work on it.

(2.) I need a haircut.

1. I was going to point this out to you, but you already noticed it..... ;)

2. Damn hippy.

Robb Jensen
11-20-07, 13:49
1. I was going to point this out to you, but you already noticed it..... ;)

2. Damn hippy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/a5f6bdd2.jpg

mark5pt56
11-20-07, 15:03
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/a5f6bdd2.jpg

That's funny, I saw the movie the other day, funny when at the end the girl(forget name) realizes who's face is tattoo'd on her left breast.

I hope to get to the range to test out the 10-8 rear. Dry practice at home seems to be quicker picking up the front.

My total ended up being 130.94

ar-one5
11-21-07, 11:43
Robb,

Great shooting with you and the gang at Blackwater,

Alan

Robb Jensen
11-21-07, 12:08
Robb,

Great shooting with you and the gang at Blackwater,

Alan

Back at you Alan. And welcome to forum. :)

Pat_D
11-22-07, 11:57
A terrific match and my first steel challenge. It was great shooting with the VA arms team and meeting some new friends.

Jo Mamma,

I did take the Vanek drop in GM trigger out of my gun without ever actually putting a single round through it. It was not quite as nice as I expected a $220.00 trigger to be and Charlie Vanek graciously offered me a full refund if I was not happy. It went back this week.

The Ghost rocket 3.5 connector actually was very slick for what it is and I liked it very much. Certainly a bit heavier than the Vanek but the combination of the Ghost rocket 3.5, a 13 pound ISMI spring, and a reduced power Wolf striker made for a very nice, reliable trigger with a positive and very short reset. I would recommend this connector highly. Keep in mind it must be fitted to your gun but luckily the one GotM4 loaned me had already been fitted and dropped right in. It's not the lightest trigger ever but it's still very nice.

My picture tells me:

1) I need to hit the tanning salon to get some tan on my upper arms

2) I also need a haircut

3) As Luis has told me so many times, I do indeed shoot with my mouth open :)

mark5pt56
11-23-07, 12:52
Not bad for an old man! I had second next to Luis. First time out with the M&P:cool:

http://www.blackwatershooters.com/november_steel_challenge_results.htm

M4arc
11-23-07, 13:29
Not bad for an old man! I had second next to Luis. First time out with the M&P:cool:

http://www.blackwatershooters.com/november_steel_challenge_results.htm

Nice job! The M&P is winning you over I see ;)

mark5pt56
11-23-07, 14:37
Nice job! The M&P is winning you over I see ;)

It has Character:cool: Going to hit the range tomorrow to work on some drills.

M4arc
11-23-07, 15:34
It has Character:cool: Going to hit the range tomorrow to work on some drills.

I'm going to ride in the AM and then head out to do some Xmas shopping. I will try to go to the range on Sunday but I want to be back by 8:30AM when the gym opens.

mark5pt56
11-23-07, 15:48
Ok, I'll get up with you tomorrow to see if you're going on Sunday. If so, no problem on the time.

M4arc
11-23-07, 15:56
If we go early I can get my range and gym time in before church!

mark5pt56
11-23-07, 16:39
If we go early I can get my range and gym time in before church!

Yes, you need that time evil one.

subzero
11-23-07, 23:46
Darn. 2 months with no practice and it showed. Still more proof that you can't miss fast enough to win.

Looking forward to next month @ BW. I want to shoot some regular stages again, especially a shoothouse.