PDA

View Full Version : Glock History Question-Pertaining To Generation 2 Guns.

Magsz
10-13-11, 13:24
Hey guys.

Quick question for those of you that are in the know about this type of thing.

It was my understanding that the three pin frames were introduced in the .40 caliber generation 2 era. Is this correct?

It is also my understanding that all generation 2 9mm guns were of the two pin variety and Glock only switched over to three pins in the 9mm's when they converted to the generation 3 frames?

Last but not least, are there any issues with running 9mm top ends whether they are generation 2 or 3 on a generation 2 three pin .40 cal lower?

Thanks guys! Im looking for concrete advice on this as im absolutely in love with the gen 2 frame but havent been able to source any 9mm guns for reasonable prices.

elia.jon1
10-13-11, 13:28
its ok to use a 9 top end on any of the 40 lowers, gen 3 and down...

some gen 3 9mm had the 2 pin setup, it was in the mid 3rd gen era that all was standardized.

it shouldn't be a problem for you at all..now the other way around it could be....

Magsz
10-13-11, 13:36
So there were never and could never have been three pin generation 2 9mm's?

I was interested in running a competition production Gen 2 G17 but i have a three pin frame right now so it looks like thats a no go if that is the case.

Shucks!

elia.jon1
10-13-11, 13:39
i'm saying its ok to run a 9mm top end on just about any gen 1 2 or 3 frame, so its a go, you cant do the same with 40 or 357 sig

i'm a certified glock armorer, and have been carrying my glock 17 from 1987 for quite a while....

Magsz
10-13-11, 14:18
Roger that.

Understood John.

However, for USPSA and IDPA production rules you can only run guns that were available in the original configuration from the factory.

So, if no three pin Gen 2 Glocks were ever produced, even if i were to procure complete 9mm top ends, these guns would be "illegal".

Unless of course they DID exist. :)

BigBen66
10-13-11, 14:19
I agree with elia.jon1 completley.

DocH
10-13-11, 14:40
I agree with elia.jon1 completley. +1,I've never seen or heard of a 3 pin Gen 2. The three pins,as stated,came along in the Gen 3's. I have three 2nd Gens.,only two pins in all of them.