PDA

View Full Version : Small crack in upper.. big deal? (Update: Sent to DD)

Jake Bauer
10-13-11, 23:40
After my last range trip I saw this in my DDM4 while cleaning.

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo246/jrush820/IMG_8001.jpg

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo246/jrush820/IMG_7998.jpg

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo246/jrush820/IMG_7997.jpg

I should mention that I only have around 700 rounds through this gun (wish I had the time and $ to shoot more). Is this something that I should be concerned with enough to contact DD about it?

VIP3R 237
10-13-11, 23:53
I would contact dd if that was mine. A crack can't be good.

Stangman
10-13-11, 23:59
Yes, you need to contact DD about it asap.

Dirtyboy333
10-14-11, 01:28
i agree with the rest of the posts. I' a big fan of DD and i know this isnt their norm but this is something that they need to fix. If your experience is anything similar to mine, you'll be a happy shooter again in no time. (i didnt have a flawed product. Midway sent me a standard barrel instead of the CHF barrel i ordered and instead of contacting Midway I contacted DD and they sent the new barrel out the same day they received my barrel.)

justin_247
10-14-11, 01:37
Definitely contact DD. It doesn't look significant, but the possibility exists that the crack has migrated on a microscopic level and it could be a larger indicator of a material defect with a certain batch. This is something DD would definitely want to know about.

justin_247
10-14-11, 01:52
Looking at it a little more closely, it looks like it's chipped instead of cracked. When you run your finger over it, is it smooth or is there a noticeable indentation?

I would be less worried about a chip than I am about a crack. Chips can be blended out.

Iraqgunz
10-14-11, 02:06
Based upon the photo only I would say that it is a chip or gouge and not a crack. I may be wrong. Any idea how it happened? Screwdriver -maybe to unstick something? Or just out of the blue?

If you are unsure I would probably contact DD and at least allow them to inspect it.

Jake Bauer
10-14-11, 22:11
just happened out of the blue. wasnt there before i went to the range, was there when I came back (only shot 100 rounds that day too). It may be more of a chip, but since my gun is pretty young I dont see how it would get better over time. I'll probably send these pics to DD.

Javelin
10-14-11, 23:11
I would be very curious of what caused it.

MistWolf
10-14-11, 23:13
That's an unusual location for a crack that small, considering it's angle and the starting & termination point. I agree with Justin & IG that it looks more like a cut or gouge. I believe it's from something that was caught in there

devildogljb
10-14-11, 23:57
defiantly looks like a like a chip/gouge to me when i zoomed it in. I just cant figure out how the hell it happened, defiantly call or email them. Keep us updated on what they say.

spleify
10-15-11, 00:37
Definitely strange get it looked and or see what DD says.

BigBen66
10-15-11, 06:40
I have had great customer service from DD. Keep us updated on what they say is wrong.

Redline
10-15-11, 10:17
Is it me, or does that brown stuff to the left of the chip look like pitting and corosion?

skyugo
10-15-11, 12:32
Is it me, or does that brown stuff to the left of the chip look like pitting and corosion?

aluminum doesn't corrode brown... it's more of a hard gray oxide. basically forms its own coating. that's one of the cool things about aluminum.

looks like a gouge to me... poke around a bit with something pointy and see if you can figure out how deep it is.

Jake Bauer
10-16-11, 00:21
I'll email DD tomorrow and send them the pics. I'll keep yall posted.

Jake Bauer
10-16-11, 00:22

Nah its not corrosion. Just whats left over from that super clean burning russian ammo :)

Jake Bauer
10-17-11, 21:40
Sent the pics to DD today. They are sending me an RMA number and instructions for sending in for repair. :(

Glad they are going to fix it, but I'll miss having my AR for a few weeks.

DeltaSierra
10-17-11, 21:45
Sent the pics to DD today. They are sending me an RMA number and instructions for sending in for repair. :(

Glad they are going to fix it, but I'll miss having my AR for a few weeks.

It won't be too long....

I had to send one item back to DD and they had it back to me within about two weeks. I was very impressed with the rapid turnaround time....

markm
10-17-11, 22:15
I wouldn't give that little thing a second thought.

bp7178
10-17-11, 23:14
What cause the little divot just opposite it on the ejection port? It looks like something was pryed against it.

Suwannee Tim
10-18-11, 04:12
From the photo it looks like a crack but there is little stress in that area. I'd look at it with some magnification and see if it still looks like a crack or begins to look more like a gouge.

jonconsiglio
10-18-11, 18:57
Can you post some is of the top of your bolt carrier and bolt with the bolt extended and also without? That wear pattern is odd and my guess is something is making contact only at that point.

I just looked inside of three different uppers. Two are cut slightly different than the other inside but even with a high round count in one and less in the other two there's no real wear in that area.

I have some pics from one of my KAC uppers I recently sold. I'll look at those as well and see.

jonconsiglio
10-18-11, 19:07
When the bolt rotates, the Cam pin rotates to that side of the receiver. It's slightly behind the area of the crack. But, if it was to impact the area behind it that also shows wear, who knows...

Looking at my Noveske upper, that little ledge is contoured or cut. Neither of my KAC's were and my LMT has some sort of cut as well. If it happened during the last 100 rounds, my guess is it's some sort of impact.

I'm not trying to diagnose the issue here, I'm just thinking it through out of curiosity since you've decided to send it to Daniel Defense. If you still have it, those pics of the bolt and carrier would help.

Good luck.

Jake Bauer
10-25-11, 21:25
Just an Update. Sent it into DD on Wednesday, got there on Monday. Today, it started back to me, should be here on Friday. WOW. What great service. I imagine they just slapped a new upper receiver on it.

St.Michael
10-25-11, 21:52
I ordered a rail from DD long ago before I foudn this site and the rail came from a website and didn't have the screws. I called DD and they sent out the screws over night that day. Had em the next day! Amazing company!

Jake Bauer
10-30-11, 22:41
Thought I'd let yall know that I did get it back on Friday. (So I sent it off and got it back in 9 days). Pretty sure all they did was put a new upper receiver on it. Anyway, it's fixed! Amazing service and top notch shipping. Daniel Defense customer for life!

Tiny86
11-01-11, 01:35
Did they give you any info on the cause?

Jake Bauer
11-01-11, 23:29
They didnt give me a cause possibility. They did say it wasn't a crack, just a "chip in the anodizing". So it probably was no big deal, but I wanted it checked out anyway