PDA

View Full Version : Any experience/input on these barrels?

No Bananas
10-14-11, 12:08
I was just checking out the great deals that Aim Surplus has on Spike's barreled uppers.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTU5055MLS&name=Spikes+Tactical+16%22+Midlength+LWT+with+MOE+handguard&groupid=301&search=upper

Their barrel (not the FN one) says "Bolt & barrel are HPT/MPI tested, M4 barrel extension, Chrome chamber and bore, 5.56mm Nato chamber, 1:7 Twist, Magnetic particle testing on every barrel."

Sounds good. Any experience out there?

-Yes, I already did a search.

justin_247
10-14-11, 13:58
You didn't search very hard as this has already been discussed many, many times.

Spike's barrels are made by at least four companies. Elite uppers are FN, standard CHF uppers are DD, stainless uppers are LW, some custom uppers from Ballistic Advantage, and their LE uppers are from an unknown manufacturer...

These are the same barrels that you find in their LE carbines and not much is known about them. I've been trying to figure out who the manufacturer is for some time, but haven't been successful. Spike's likes to brag about good manufacturers from whom they get their parts (FN, DD, LW, LAR, Aero, AO, etc.), but they've been very quiet about who makes these, so I think that says something. I'm thinking they're probably CMT or leftovers from Sabre.

SomeOtherGuy
10-14-11, 14:26
When an assembler doesn't make their own barrels, it is very likely that they are buying the barrels from either Wilson (which is unelated to Wilson Tactical) or ER Shaw. In either case you are looking at non-premium barrels, but still very much in line with typical commercial offerings in the same price range, like Bushmaster or CMMG; possibly better.

I have a year-old Spike's standard "LE" series upper in the 16" govt profile midlength variety, and it shoots fine in my use - which is not any precision use. I also tested the chamber with Ned Christiansen's 5.56? chamber gauge, and it tested as clearly a 5.56 NATO chamber, which is one of the most common and serious issues with generic commercial barrels.

No Bananas
10-14-11, 14:28
Yikes, and I thought that I looked. Thanks for the info.

You didn't search very hard as this has already been discussed many, many times.

Spike's barrels are made by at least four companies. Elite uppers are FN, standard CHF uppers are DD, stainless uppers are LW, some custom uppers from Ballistic Advantage, and their LE uppers are from an unknown manufacturer...

These are the same barrels that you find in their LE carbines and not much is known about them. I've been trying to figure out who the manufacturer is for some time, but haven't been successful. Spike's likes to brag about good manufacturers from whom they get their parts (FN, DD, LW, LAR, Aero, AO, etc.), but they've been very quiet about who makes these, so I think that says something. I'm thinking they're probably CMT or leftovers from Sabre.

justin_247
10-14-11, 14:39
Yikes, and I thought that I looked. Thanks for the info.

Please don't confuse what I'm saying - I'm not disparaging them. I'd still take a Spike's LE carbine any day of the week over 3/4 of the other brands on the market. And their offerings from FN appear to be top notch.

justin_247
10-14-11, 14:44
When an assembler doesn't make their own barrels, it is very likely that they are buying the barrels from either Wilson (which is unelated to Wilson Tactical) or ER Shaw.

I didn't think ER Shaw used 4150 CMV with their barrels. Wilson is a possibility, though.

m4brian
10-14-11, 18:41
This thread is helpful even though this has been done scores of time. Good, accurate information, and little or no emotion. Thanks.