PDA

View Full Version : Slightly frightening Drive to work in OHIO(long)seeking LEO opionions

turdbocharged
10-14-11, 14:00
*attention this is long*

So my wife and I drive to Cleveland from the west side every day. She was in the fast lane with her cruise set to 70 in a 60. I will admit that she was speeding, however nobody was in front or behind her for a long ways, and she never does the whole weaving in and out of traffic thing. As soon as we passed an exit I noticed that a tractor trailer with about a 19' Dump bed was behind her.

It proceeded to accelerate and soon it was within a couple feet of her rear bumper. This got me concerned as there was nowhere for her to go, as cars were in the lanes to our right. First thing crosses my mind is why is this rig trying to go faster than 70 in a 60? Well as soon as it had the chance the guy whipped around us and then passed us. Which is completely fine by me.

However as it was passing us the driver CAME OVER INTO OUR LANE purposefully to send a message. I mean he was in our lane for a good 3-4 seconds. This scared the shit out of me and we just slowed down to let him by. Then he flashes some white lights on his trailer for some reason.

The only thing that I could think to do was write down his license plate and the company name. So we had to speed up to do this. Apparently he saw me writing it down and so he wrote my license plate down. I am completely confused as to why he would do this unless he plans on finding out where I live and trying to do something stupid.

Even more interesting is how he got off on the same exit as us and followed us to the intersection of W25st and Detroit. We were in the right hand turn lane to go downtown, and he was in the left lane. I looked back into his cab to make sure he wasn't going to pull out a gun or something ridiculous and he pointed at me and said something like he was going to get us. So at this point I'm actually very concerned. Luckily he just turned left and drove away.

Would you guys be worried that this nutso is going to try a home invasion? Both my uncle is, and father was a truck driver and they've told me that professional CDL holders do not want to violate traffic laws because of how hard it is to keep your CDL. The question I'd like to ask the LEO here is how easy is it for a civvy to obtain information with someone's plate number? Do they just need a friend in the force? Or is there a website they can go to. I'm not sure if I should just forget about the whole thing or if I should be concerned about what he may do.

Thanks,

Josh

Mr blasty
10-15-11, 00:36
Did you call the police and his company?

Clint
10-15-11, 00:59
Glad every body is OK.

Did you yield over to the right lane at your first opportunity, or did you stay in the left lane the whole time when he "whipped around"?

IMO, if there is someone behind you in the left lane that wants to go faster, it doesn't matter how fast you are going (even over the limit).

You should move over and let them go on their way.

Especially if they're driving a 50,000 lb truck...

Mr blasty
10-15-11, 01:16
Glad every body is OK.

Did you yield over to the right lane at your first opportunity, or did you stay in the left lane the whole time when he "whipped around"?

IMO, if there is someone behind you in the left lane that wants to go faster, it doesn't matter how fast you are going (even over the limit).

He stated that they couldn't as there were vehicles in the right lane blocking them from doing so. I had a douche do the same thing as here a couple weeks ago. He got arrested for road rage.:D

Jack-O
10-15-11, 12:00
Glad every body is OK.

This. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of bullets.

I have this happen to me sometimes as I speed along. A fast mover comes up and wants to pass. I speed up, get around traffic and pull over. Dwelling in the passing lane is bad manners. Obeying the law should never be a reason to avoid acting safely or common sense.

A large truck takes quite a bit of time to get up to speed and dropping any amount of speed to wait for a car to get past another will mean that they have to build back up again. this often causes significant problems on hills particularly. Dropping 3 MPH to avoid hitting a car that is dwelling in the fast lane can mean the difference between driving up a hill at 55-60 or having to downshift and take the same hill at 35.

Just so you understand the mindset of the driver, be aware that once they are at speed they REALLY hate having to slow down and build it back up again. It can cost them significant time, fuel and effects the safety of all on the road around them in a very real way. Do truckers a favor and do your best not to effect thier speed, move around them quickly and stay out of thier blind spots (directly behind in close). staying next to a truck makes them nervous. you never know when a gust of wind will push and empty trailer around forcing them out of thier lane and into you. sometimes their equipment is a bit sloppy and a small correction at the wheel can make a big sway at the back of the last trailer.

The trucker sounded a bit aggressive and moody, but at least now you understand a bit more why he may have been that way. I'm not making excuses for him, just explaining part of his mindset.

I used to drive myself and the best thing was to maintain a cool head and just relax and let things move around you the best you can. you cant have an aggressive mindset at all when driving big trucks, it just makes everything harder.

Palmguy
10-15-11, 12:43
He stated that they couldn't as there were vehicles in the right lane blocking them from doing so.

He asked that question because assuming there were only two lanes in their direction of travel, the only way this truck could have "whipped around and passed them" would be if the OP's car had stayed in the left lane well past the point when vehicles were still blocking his ability to get into the right lane and out of the way of the truck.

randolph
10-15-11, 16:33
heres whats prolly going to happen.
the truck driver has already reported your vehicle to his company, wether for driving agressive, flipping him off, waving a gun, it doesnt matter what story hes told, he told his story first.

Now when you call his company to report him, you're the liar and he's just a poor truck driver trying to feed his family.

I recommend you do call and report him to his company, that way when they realise half the people on the road have it in for this guy, they will hopefully figure it all out :p

I had a guy several years ago in a haliburton truck pull something similar... what were the odds, I knew his boss :dance3:

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-16-11, 05:05
You let your wife drive when you are in the car? What in interesting concept. ;)

COVERBUSTER
10-16-11, 10:41
Left lane = Hammer lane/ passing lane, dont cruise in the hammer lane , move over if you are being overtaken . Simple.

Not everybody with a CDL takes pride in the job. 98% of us do. 99% of 4 wheelers have no respect for a machine grossing 80K going 75 and think we can stop on a dime or make a corner like a 911. Guess what, stay AWAY from the big truck, just plain pass me, I have no clue as to what is so interesting about a set of dual tires that you have to decide you want to drive along side my drivers ?? Ever see a 22.5 tire explode??

Bottom line drive like your life depends on it. I drive like yours depends on the way I drive.

I been hauling yellow iron in Wyoming for 10 years 12 months a year, people in cars are the for most cause of truck wrecks.

kmrtnsn
10-16-11, 12:35
left lane squatters are annoying as hell.

Slower traffic keep right.

Keep right except to pass.

I believe even Ohio posts these signs on the freeway.

mskdgunman
10-16-11, 16:59
In regards to the OP's question about a civvi obtaining MV record information, the answer is, it depends. It's not supposed to happen but we all know that it does. I can't apeak for your state, but Fl keeps very close tabs on what we (LEO) run on our DAVID (Drivers License and Vehicle Identification Database) and can pull our history going back...forever it seems.

To put this in perspective, lets say that my buddy (your pissed off truck driver) calls me and tells me that he has a tag number from some jackass has been stalking his wife and asks me to run it for him. We're not supposed to and I, pesonally, refuse to do it, but there are ones who will. So, truck driver gets your information (by lying to me) and comes by your house and does whatever. You call the cops and relate your version of the initial incident. You tell them that the guy wrote your tag down and you belive that's how he found your house. In theory, the investigators should be able to tell who ran your plate, when it was run and from what terminal. At that point, the officer that ran it has some explaining to do. Two in our area have lost their jobs for shit like this which explains my refusal to do it.

The situation in your State may be drastically different in regards to who has access to that information and what the rules are on dissemination outside of law enforcement so, YMMV.

So, in short, it is possible. Realistically it's not that likely. I'd call the cops to make an incident report just for GP maintain a higher SA for a while.

VLODPG
10-16-11, 17:17
He asked that question because assuming there were only two lanes in their direction of travel, the only way this truck could have "whipped around and passed them" would be if the OP's car had stayed in the left lane well past the point when vehicles were still blocking his ability to get into the right lane and out of the way of the truck.

That would be my guess!