PDA

View Full Version : Example of my cheat sheet / dope chart...

a0cake
10-14-11, 16:15
Perhaps it will help someone in constructing their own.

Just wanted to share an example document of my sheet. It is an Excel file ZIPPED and attached to this post.

For the example I've used standard atmospheric conditions for simplicity's sake. I have variants of this dope sheet for varying weather conditions.

The upper portion is a standard dope chart created with the "Shooter" program for Android and verified in "real life." I use only MIL/MIL optics so that is how I have the chart configured. I also have drop and drift measured in inches displayed just for GP's.

The bottom portion is a collection of formulas / conversions that come in handy from time to time.

If you would like help in creating a similar chart for your particular setup, let me know and I can guide you through it.

Javelin
10-14-11, 17:17
*trying to open it*

Do you take a laptop with you to the range?

a0cake
10-14-11, 17:22
*trying to open it*

Do you take a laptop with you to the range?

Nope. You can print it out and waterproof it, put it in a book, acetate it to your buttstock, etc. Whatever floats your boat. Also, the software used to generate the data is Android based, so I have it on my phone. The battery lasts only a few hours and the device doesn't come with me overseas, hence the printouts.

Javelin
10-14-11, 17:38
Nope. You can print it out and waterproof it, put it in a book, acetate it to your buttstock, etc. Whatever floats your boat. Also, the software used to generate the data is Android based, so I have it on my phone. The battery lasts only a few hours and the device doesn't come with me overseas, hence the printouts.

Good idea. Though I saw a while back that KAC had an Ipod mount for your AR accessory rail. That might work too.

:D

Javelin
10-14-11, 17:39
Awe yes... here it is:

http://www.knightarmco.com/ipod_mount_25695.htm

a0cake
10-14-11, 17:47
Yeah, we have those for the 110's. Kind of cool in a novelty kind of way, but they don't make the cut as far as fitting into operational use. Amazing how far smartphone technology has come.

roymorrison
10-23-11, 15:57
Good dope, out of curiosity what kind of barrel is it? I'm going to steal this and edit the fields for my data, beats my 3x5 card. Thanks.

a0cake
10-23-11, 16:02
Good dope, out of curiosity what kind of barrel is it? I'm going to steal this and edit the fields for my data, beats my 3x5 card. Thanks.

It's a BCM SS410 barrel.

roymorrison
10-24-11, 06:49
It's a BCM SS410 barrel.

Haha I knew it, my data is almost identical as I'm using the same barrel. You're obviously shooting 77 gr SMK's, what manufacturer if you don't mind my asking? Also, is your avatar the LRS unit symbol?

a0cake
10-24-11, 16:59
Black Hills .223 loads. The 5.56 options are a bit hotter but won't group as well for me. I'll sacrifice velocity for accuracy every time.

tresmonos
10-25-11, 11:58
What application are you running on your droid to create this?
Thanks in advance...

a0cake
10-25-11, 14:33
The application is called Shooter. There's a free version but the full paid version is worth the 9 bucks I think it was. When you export the table it's in a raw but still usable format. I spruced it up a bit in excel to make it more readable. Shooter is one of the most thorough, well thought out, and accurate ballistics programs I've yet seen.

roymorrison
10-26-11, 08:33
The application is called Shooter. There's a free version but the full paid version is worth the 9 bucks I think it was. When you export the table it's in a raw but still usable format. I spruced it up a bit in excel to make it more readable. Shooter is one of the most thorough, well thought out, and accurate ballistics programs I've yet seen.

Awesome man, I'm about to go push some black hills red box through my 18 inch BCM ss410 today, you just basically gave me a huge cheat sheet haha. I also downloaded shooter the other night, great little program for 10 bucks.

a0cake
10-26-11, 10:12
Once you get to the solution page where you can enter range / wind speed and get your firing solution....try clicking on whichever button brings up more options on your phone. There's an inclination / declination feature where you can literally point your phone up or down and it does the cosine work for you. Also, there's a mil-dot ranging feature in the same menu where you can enter the target size / mils and get range. It's pretty well organized.

roymorrison
10-26-11, 12:36
Just shot out to 300 using your data and it was almost the same. I was using Black Hills 5.56 OTM red box. I'll probably pick up some of their .223 loads if you're saying you get better results using that. My gun was holding slightly over a minute, however I attribute that to the fact that I'm using the stock trigger from a Spikes lower - sloppy break and heavy as hell. I shot the same upper on a lower with a Geissele SSA-E and it was making 1 moa groups @ 100. My Geissele should be arriving in the mail shortly. Thanks for the data.

Spooky130
10-26-11, 17:47
I use the same method for wind values when I fly airplanes. I call it the clock method:

15 degrees off = 1/4 of a clock - use 25% of the wind
30 degrees off = 1/2 of a clock - use 50% of the wind
45 degrees off = 3/4 of a clock - use 75% of the wind
Anything over 45 degrees off use full value - use 100% of the wind

a0cake
10-26-11, 18:10
I use the same method for wind values when I fly airplanes. I call it the clock method:

15 degrees off = 1/4 of a clock - use 25% of the wind
30 degrees off = 1/2 of a clock - use 50% of the wind
45 degrees off = 3/4 of a clock - use 75% of the wind
Anything over 45 degrees off use full value - use 100% of the wind

Yea...the old doctrine of it's either half value or full value doesn't work. It's okay for getting close, but if you're going for one shot one kill it's often not enough.

ColtJ
10-26-11, 20:33
Black Hills .223 loads. The 5.56 options are a bit hotter but won't group as well for me. I'll sacrifice velocity for accuracy every time.

A bit off-topic, I apologize.

How much of a difference are you seeing? and are you using new ammo or reloaded from BH?

a0cake
10-26-11, 21:08
A bit off-topic, I apologize.

How much of a difference are you seeing? and are you using new ammo or reloaded from BH?

In regard to the .223 VS. 5.56 (MK262) Black Hills loads, I see about a half MOA accuracy advantage with the slower .223 loads. Shot placement trumps terminal performance for me, so I shoot the slower rounds.

See my reply to the following post for information on blue vs red box...

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=91465

ColtJ
10-27-11, 00:34
In regard to the .223 VS. 5.56 (MK262) Black Hills loads, I see about a half MOA accuracy advantage with the slower .223 loads. Shot placement trumps terminal performance for me, so I shoot the slower rounds.

See my reply to the following post for information on blue vs red box...

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=91465

Thanks and thanks for the link. :thank_you2:

I've actually downloaded the paid version of this app months ago, just never got around to using it. :lazy2:

Glad to see it wasn't a waste.

roymorrison
11-02-11, 09:07
I experienced similar results regarding .223 vs. 5.56 77gr from Black Hills. The 5.56 group was the best group I could get out of 50 rounds, barely MOA if that. The .223 groups were the first and only 10 rounds fired that day.

5 shot group using 5.56
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b289/roymitchel1/spikestrigger.jpg

5 shot groups using .223
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b289/roymitchel1/geissele2.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b289/roymitchel1/geisseletrigger.jpg

a0cake
11-02-11, 20:02
Good groups bro. My 5.56 groups are very similar with the BCM SS410. Even though they're not quite where we want them, it's still sub-moa. The realm many internet commandos claim to live in but few actually achieve.

FWIW, my .mil issue MK12 MOD1 was a .75 - 1 MOA gun with MK262. So right in the same ballpark. Not sure if your section had MK12's.