PDA

View Full Version : Bolt face pits..

ralph
10-14-11, 21:18
Was just downstairs clening my AR..noticed a couple of minor pits on bolt face..Rifle has maybe 2000 rnds on it..I tried a search, but came up with little, Is this something to be concerned with? or should I just keep an eye on it?

GTifosi
10-14-11, 21:34
Can't get a copy of the page right now, but TM 05538C-23&P/2 page 3-18 describes bolt face pitting as such:
Replace the bolt assembly if it contains a cluster of pits approximately 1/8 inch in diameter and if the pits are appear to be more than 0.010 inch deep.

Bolts that contain very small pits in a scattered pattern shall not be cause for rejection.

Belmont31R
10-14-11, 21:40
If they are right around the firing pin hole its most likely a primer issue with the ammo if you are firing.

SpaceWrangler
10-14-11, 23:52
If they are right around the firing pin hole its most likely a primer issue with the ammo if you are firing.

Concur. I have an old Colt Anaconda .44 revolver with a ring of pits around the firing pin hole. The cause was narrowed down to a box of Remington ammo with primer pockets a bit on the large side of the spec.

mark5pt56
10-15-11, 01:56
Are you reloading? If so, check your loads.

ralph
10-15-11, 06:53

I figured as much, I usually keep an eye out for cases with loose primer pockets and reject them, I've got a few thousand emptys, so it's possible that some slipped through.I'll just keep an eye on the pits and figure on buying a replacement bolt down the road..