PDA

View Full Version : Bullet feeders for Dillon

11-19-07, 00:02
Just got done reloading 2k of 45acp ammo. I have a GSI International bullet feeder on one of my 650's for about 8 months now. What prompted this thread is the fact that I am not burned out after this loading session. I have a bit of arthritis and the bullet feeder is a finger saver.

I have loaded over 10K of ammo though the bullet feeder (my sons like to shoot) the past 6 months. It is a bit finicky and loves the flat points or RN in 230 gr. Seems the shorter bullets get jammed up a bit much.

Anyway, I am waiting for my cash stash to build back up and would like to put one on my 1050 for 22 cal bullets. These little bugger bullets give my fingers a work out.

What I was curious about is; Do any of you use a bullet feed for your dillon? How do you like it?

rob_s
11-19-07, 03:52
Do you have a link to this device?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 650, but I'm going to wait on the casefeed. Now you tell me there's a bullet feed too? I absolutely hate to reload and between these two feeders it sounds like it will take some of the tedium out of the chore.

David Thomas
11-19-07, 06:51
rob_s,

the case feeder is well worth the money and quite simply a must have item. I would also suggest an extra five or six primer pick up tubes and the roller handle. Your life will be much happier if you do.

thanks for the report on the bullet feeder. I have been considering purchasing one lately, but hadn't read any reviews until now. Hopefully other will chime in. If not I may have to step up to the plate and buy one so that I can give my 2 cents worth.

Submariner
11-19-07, 06:54
I absolutely hate to reload and between these two feeders it sounds like it will take some of the tedium out of the chore.

So will you be a like a $5/hour or $15/hour "illegal immigrant factory worker" when you stand in front of the press with these labor-saving devices?

Inquiring minds want to know.:cool:

markm
11-19-07, 07:59

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 650, but I'm going to wait on the casefeed. Now you tell me there's a bullet feed too? I absolutely hate to reload and between these two feeders it sounds like it will take some of the tedium out of the chore.

I don't want to see you range chickening, Pal! :eek:

On the other hand. A pic of you pecking brass would make a hell of an Avatar! :D

markm
11-19-07, 08:04
To me... all these case feeders, and bullet feeders are too over the top.

I've gone back to slowing down when I reload, and ensuring quality. I used to get hung up on all of the THIS many rounds per hour, and THAT many rounds per hour.

Actuall touching the components by hand really isn't all that rigorous. PLUS, you actually get to add another level of QC in your process by picking up the components with your lazy little hand.

rob_s
11-19-07, 08:26
So will you be a like a $5/hour or $15/hour "illegal immigrant factory worker" when you stand in front of the press with these labor-saving devices?

Inquiring minds want to know.:cool:

If I can dumb it down enough, I'll pay the 10 year old the $5/hr while I sit on the porch and drink beer like I should be. :D

rob_s
11-19-07, 08:27
I don't want to see you range chickening, Pal! :eek:

On the other hand. A pic of you pecking brass would make a hell of an Avatar! :D

I buy brass, I don't range chicken. When I first started reloading I range chickened for about 3 matches before I realized that what was supposed to be fun (a day at the range) had turned into work.:eek:

markm
11-19-07, 08:33
I buy brass, I don't range chicken.

I should have known you were one of those "brass buyers".

Submariner
11-19-07, 08:35
I buy brass, I don't range chicken. When I first started reloading I range chickened for about 3 matches before I realized that what was supposed to be fun (a day at the range) had turned into work.:eek:

I think of every case I leave on the deck as a nickel, either to be picked up or donated to the Boone County Sheriff's Department. Oh, and nickels are worth more than 5 cents these days, just like the brass.;)

Will you be reloading Wolf steel cases to save money? Some folks do on TOS?:D

I should have known you were one of those "brass buyers".

I shoot cheap UMC at home and pick up my brass, cutting out the brass seller.

If I can dumb it down enough, I'll pay the 10 year old the $5/hr while I sit on the porch and drink beer like I should be. :D

You buy beer?:confused:

rob_s
11-19-07, 08:54
You buy beer?:confused:

Thinking of getting back into brewing actually. Now THERE'S a fun chore to do at home! I can't shoot while I reload, but I can damn sure drink while I brew! :D

Submariner
11-19-07, 09:13
I can't shoot while I reload, but I can damn sure drink while I brew! :D

Sig line material.:D

markm
11-19-07, 09:32
I shoot cheap UMC at home and pick up my brass, cutting out the brass seller.

Amen to that! Remington brass is the kind. And brass really is going for a nickle a piece. :rolleyes:

I must admit... I'd shoot wolf before I'd pay for brass.

Submariner
11-19-07, 12:10
Amen to that! Remington brass is the kind. And brass really is going for a nickle a piece. :rolleyes:

I must admit... I'd shoot wolf before I'd pay for brass.

No, the constituent elements of a nickel (Ni 25% and Cu 75%) are worth more than five cents. Remington brass is about seven cents, or more, per round, if you can find it.

I disagree on the Wolf. But that is just me. I bought about 13,000 rounds of tumbled, once-fired Remington brass for under a four cents each, delivered, before it jumped dramatically. And I am certain none of it went through an M249 SAW.

11-19-07, 22:22

This is the one I have http://www.gsiinternational.com/index.html

Last time I talked to them they were working on a 22 cal feeder but don't have one yet.

11-19-07, 22:33
To me... all these case feeders, and bullet feeders are too over the top.

I've gone back to slowing down when I reload, and ensuring quality. I used to get hung up on all of the THIS many rounds per hour, and THAT many rounds per hour.

Actuall touching the components by hand really isn't all that rigorous. PLUS, you actually get to add another level of QC in your process by picking up the components with your lazy little hand.

It ain't about the speed, its about the ease. The first 550 I have was acquired in 87- it has fed several rock & roll guns. So I can tell you it ain't about lazy fingers, its about sore ones......Quality come from the operator not nessasarily touching all the components- If it counts use new brass & case gage it..........

markm
11-20-07, 07:41
I dig what you're saying, 556.

But I've found that the more systems you have to keep fiddle farking with, and jiggling or slapping to get running again, the less focused you are on the core task.

Most of the time when the machine is running smooth it's not a problem. But when the turret is full and some damned system jams up, I start to lose focus on what is where in the process.

I just prefer to keep it simple, even at the expense of some ease.

carshooter
11-21-07, 11:29
Rob,

Do yourself a favor and order the case feeder with the 650, you'll save a little on shipping.

Honestly, IMHO, the benefits of the 650 are worthless without the casefeeder attached. Filling the tube with brass by hand SUCKS>

On topic, the last time I checked, the .22 caliber bullet feeders weren't in production yet.

rob_s
11-21-07, 11:33
Rob,

Do yourself a favor and order the case feeder with the 650, you'll save a little on shipping.

That "little on shipping" ain't gonna make up for the $200 for the case feeder. ;)

Too many irons in the fire right now to drop $850 on a press I don't have time to use anyway.