PDA

View Full Version : .22lr Semi to practice Precision Skills

ColtJ
10-15-11, 00:39
This section has been dangerously busy lately... :haha:

Anyway, anyone practice precision skills with something like a .22 or equivalent.

Something light, inexpensive with no recoil to practice the basics such as trigger control, breathing, follow through, etc...

Its much easier to spot shooting errors or inconsistencies with a .22. An alternative to dry firing but with live ammo, which would allow one to see hits on the target.

Also by using an AR style .22 (conversion or dedicated), you keep the same platform and controls, so you do not have to practice with different types of weapons.

This should help with larger calibers of the same platform such as 5.56 and .308.

What other methods of practice does everyone else use to train their skills to gain experience?

For example: I use a S&W 15-22 w/ SS 3-9 firing at 25-75 yards to work on bad habits and train skills. After some time with that i like to switch over and train the same skills with the other rifle.

NUTT
10-17-11, 14:28
A highly accurate 22 LR with a mid power scope is an excellent platform for precision training once you start to push the distance.

While not semi-auto, I use a CZ 452 bolt action 22LR topped with a SS 3-9 for precision training. With Wolf Match Target it shoots 1/2 MOA or less at 50 yards (under 1/4" center-to-center).

I typically start off confirming my zero at 50 yards then run through a dot drill. From there, I'll setup a few different reactive targets (my favorite is a steel swinging groundhog) at different intervals & take a walk. I'll range & shoot targets at unknown distances up to 300 yards (coffee can, hanging gallon jug full of water).

With a 50 yard zero, my drop to 100 yards is 2.0 mils. At 150 I'm already at 4.4 mils and by 200 I'm at 7.2 mils. The drop gets pretty extreme after that; 275 yards is 27.1 mils and 300 yards is 31.9 mils.

When you add in windage of 2.1 mils for a 10 mph full value wind at 200 yards, ringing that little steel groundhog starts to get tough!

Breath control, trigger control, follow through, bolt manipulation for the follow up shot... it all plays a part.

I'm lucky to have access to a farm where I can do all of this. As an added bonus, I've been charged with skunk, possum & other critter elimination. A headshot on a skunk at 75 yards in the spotlight is a lot of fun!

I understand that a 17 HMR would do a much better job on the varmints, but it shoots so flat that it is like cheating. My goal is to practice my precision shooting skills.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-17-11, 18:09
I'd like to see someone show some groups from some 22LR AR options. I have a CMMG kit, but I've never tested it for real accuracy standards. I can't think it is that great. I'd like to see what one of the dedicated uppers would do.

I think the real issue is that if the 22 version isn't accurate enough, you are going to get bad feedback and bad practice can be worse than no practice.

If it is pure shooting basics, than a 22 bolt gun would be the best, if you want a semi auto it seems a Ruger 10/22 is the way to go- I think there is even a crude AR simulation stock for it??

I just got some Wolf Extra matcha and some Skjdj or something ammo in. I'll run it thru my CMMG kit in a stainless barrel and post the results when I get to the range.

Sgt_Gold
10-18-11, 10:58
I have a CLE dedicated 22lr upper that I use for indoor smallbore. At 50' it easily holds the '10' ring if I do my part. At 50 yards I get .5 MOA groupings when I train for NRA HP matches. Back when I got my upper CLE was one of the only companies offering this type of setup. Today there are numerous manufacturers of both uppers and magazines and the prices have come down from around $1k to mid $500 or so.

kartoffel
10-18-11, 12:01
While not semi-auto, I use a CZ 452 bolt action 22LR topped with a SS 3-9 for precision training. With Wolf Match Target it shoots 1/2 MOA or less at 50 yards (under 1/4" center-to-center).

^^^ What he said. I've got nearly the same setup and it's great practice.

If you have a 22 rifle of any type, that shoots decent, put a mid-quality scope on it with repeatable clicks and start shooting it out as far as you can go.

I'm not interested in killing anything with my 22LR at 100+ yards, but I sure enjoy ranging and hitting stuff farther out.