PDA

View Full Version : Occassional misfeeds

m4brian
10-15-11, 20:08
When I first shot my carbine, with a few older GI mags I ended up with a couple of miss-feeds. Rounds nosed UP, and I think it was clearly an old spring. Went to Pmags and no trouble, until I tried Pmag 20s eventually, which have a short rear leg. Had a few nose ups with these. I've been shooting Wolf with new D&H mags with no issue (except what I believe was a way oversized round which lodged in the chamber and needed mortaring). Then today, I shot with an old 20 rounder I found in my boy-hood home. It is a Colt with a metal follower, and I got another nose up jam. I seem to have trouble with 20s. This happened once today, then I had no problem after that with two types of brass and more Wolf- so the problem is occasional, but troubling. I don't seem to have a problem with 30s.

Anything else I should check?

[I should add that 3 Wolf rounds today had split necks. Did not notice anything till my buddy picked up the cases].

My gun is all milspec, carbine gas, 16", H Buffer.

C4IGrant
10-15-11, 20:13
When I first shot my carbine, with a few older GI mags I ended up with a couple of miss-feeds. Rounds nosed UP, and I think it was clearly an old spring. Went to Pmags and no trouble, until I tried Pmag 20s eventually, which have a short rear leg. Had a few nose ups with these. I've been shooting Wolf with new D&H mags with no issue (except what I believe was a way oversized round which lodged in the chamber and needed mortaring). Then today, I shot with an old 20 rounder I found in my boy-hood home. It is a Colt with a metal follower, and I got another nose up jam. I seem to have trouble with 20s. This happened once today, then I had no problem after that with two types of brass and more Wolf- so the problem is occasional, but troubling. I don't seem to have a problem with 30s.

Anything else I should check?

[I should add that 3 Wolf rounds today had split necks. Did not notice anything till my buddy picked up the cases].

My gun is all milspec, carbine gas, 16", H Buffer.

Old USGI mags were meant for limited use (not holding onto them forever). So you can measure the feedlips and also replace the springs if you really want to keep them. I personally wouldn't bother.

Who made the barrel in your "mil-spec" gun?

C4

m4brian
10-15-11, 20:50
DD XV, now with a OmegaX Rail. Today the misfeed was early on, but would be nice to get to the point of no misfeeds ever. Understand the vintage mag issue, and I know some here have had some issues with Magpul 20s.

Heavy Metal
10-15-11, 22:25
Snap a pic next time it does it and post it here.

Iraqgunz
10-16-11, 03:18
The issue really seems to be the magazines. I also would use some decent ammunition and not Wolff shit to rule out any possibility of it being ammunition related.

m4brian
10-16-11, 11:57
Probably right. I will say this about 20 round mags. This applies even more so to 20 round Pmags. I seem to get trouble with 2-3 rounds remaining. If you load a 20 rounder with 2 rounds, you can push down on the rear and the rounds angle upward pretty severely. Thus, if the bolt hits it a tad high, you could easily get these nose ups into the upper part of the barrel extension rather than hitting the feed ramps. IN fact, when I do this with 20 round Pmags, the round actually stays canted upward. The fix would be longer legs on the mag REAR, and/or a stronger spring.

Could this also be a reason GIs had trouble in VN - because of poor followers. 30 rounders with Pmag followers and PMag 30s just don't do this. Even my son's S&W which was utterly reliable, and shot Wolf very well, had a hiccup or 2 with Pmag 20s. So... I'll keep my weapon a bit dirty, and try more with both Wolf and brass.

C4IGrant
10-16-11, 15:56
Probably right. I will say this about 20 round mags. This applies even more so to 20 round Pmags. I seem to get trouble with 2-3 rounds remaining. If you load a 20 rounder with 2 rounds, you can push down on the rear and the rounds angle upward pretty severely. Thus, if the bolt hits it a tad high, you could easily get these nose ups into the upper part of the barrel extension rather than hitting the feed ramps. IN fact, when I do this with 20 round Pmags, the round actually stays canted upward. The fix would be longer legs on the mag REAR, and/or a stronger spring.

Could this also be a reason GIs had trouble in VN - because of poor followers. 30 rounders with Pmag followers and PMag 30s just don't do this. Even my son's S&W which was utterly reliable, and shot Wolf very well, had a hiccup or 2 with Pmag 20s. So... I'll keep my weapon a bit dirty, and try more with both Wolf and brass.

This is generally where the problem happens. Stick with either steel or brass ammo. If you are going to switch, shoot the steel, clean the chamber and then shoot the brass.

C4

m4brian
10-16-11, 17:00
Actually, the hiccup I had yesterday was early on with Wolf, and with the 70sish 20 rounder. (Although it is a pretty cool mag, with an aluminum follower). Then I shot more Wolf with 30 rounders, then to brass and had no problems - PMC Bronze and about 20 Privi 75 gr HPBT.

BTW - my Pmag 20s have NO legs in the front of the follower - is this normal?

AnimalMother556
10-16-11, 21:20
I believe it is. If you running 20's get NHMTG 20's as there seem to be issues with the PMag 20 rounders.

Univibe
10-19-11, 17:52
I believe it is. If you running 20's get NHMTG 20's as there seem to be issues with the PMag 20 rounders.

Absolutely. NHMTG twenties are the way to go. They're made by Okay Industries, same as Okay and Colt. It's the same mag that's supplied with new Colt rifles. Can't go wrong.