PDA

View Full Version : Vickers Slide Stop for Glock

acaixguard
10-15-11, 21:01
For anyone who's installed the Vickers Glock slide stop, what tweaking did you have to do? I noticed that the force of it snapping back down is not as strong as my stock unit was. I played with the spring tension a bit, and improved on it, but it looks like the U shaped part of the metal, since it's a little more tapered at the bottom, it will make contact with the top edge of the frame (hope this makes sense). As a result, the friction will slow down the snap. Does the "mouth" of the slide stop need to be widened a bit, or the fitting is only with the spring tension itself?

Thanks in advance!

spr1
10-16-11, 07:32
I have not tried the Vickers, but in installing a large number of Glock OEM slide stops, every once in a while it takes a little work to get the slide stop running completely unimpedded in the groove on the trigger pin. If you have not already, you may want to check that it moves freely when held clear of the frame.

one
10-16-11, 12:12
I've got two (And need to grab two more). Neither of them required anything beyond dropping in. Though in the past I've had Glock OEM springs on their units that, once in a while, could stand a little tweaking. So on that aspect it's probably just a minor fit deal that it sounds like you corrected.

On the other I've not had that happen.

Trajan
10-18-11, 10:45
Now that I can log back in...

When I installed my Vickers slide stop, mine too didn't have as much tension as the original. After shooting it the following weekend, it gained the same level of tension the original did. My advice, go put some rounds through it.

Vlobb
10-18-11, 13:15
For anyone who's installed the Vickers Glock slide stop, what tweaking did you have to do?

For me...None whatsoever.

I removed the trigger pin only, removed the stock part, replaced it with the Vickers and pushed the pin back in. No tweaking at all and mine works just as the OEM SS did. I haven't had a single problem in over 1000rds, so far.

Magsz
10-18-11, 13:54
What made you think you needed to tweak the tension?

Did the slide stop work with an empty magazine inserted into the gun?

Did the slide stop work during live fire?

Spurholder
10-18-11, 15:11
^ Yeah, that.

No issues with either my Gen3 G17 or my Gen3 G19.

Works as advertised. Nice little improvement.

acaixguard
10-18-11, 19:53
I felt an adjustment in tension was needed because after I initially installed the slide stop, when I lifted it up, it wouldn't snap back down like the factory one did.

LightningFast
10-18-11, 21:47
Mine dropped in very easily into my well used Glock. Perhaps the wear on the pistol in general affects fit of such parts?

acaixguard
10-18-11, 21:50
Shouldn't be due to wear in my case. It's a new G19 I got over the summer with less than 1K rounds through it.

Magsz
10-18-11, 22:51
Check the fitment of the trigger pin through the slide stop.

I think TD said at one point that they drilled the holes in the slide stop a little on the tighter end.

echo19
10-26-11, 15:50
I had to open it up a little to allow it to move up and down the frame more freely. The slingshot method did not drop it out of the notch in the slide; the lever hung up on the frame. After 2 minutes with a screwdriver it's fine. It happened with two department 22s and my personal 17.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

spr1
10-26-11, 19:04
I just put two into a friends G19's. They dropped right in a functioned fine. One of the two had a very tight trigger pin fit in the frame. That one took a few extra minutes.
The most critical step IMO of this job is to ensure the trigger pin groove is centered on the natural position of the slide stop. If the slide stop is in the groove, but the pin is pushed too far in either direction there will be binding of the slide stop.

munch520
10-26-11, 19:31
An easy, and worthwhile, upgrade. Be advised though, grip adjustment may be necessary. Through 1,050 rounds I had developed a grip that worked perfectly - until I installed the extended slide release. Stronghand thumb was interfering with the extended slide release and preventing the slide from locking back on an empty magazine. Slight training adjustment, and good to go.

one
10-26-11, 22:57
Wow. I could see a major improvement as soon as I started running them. But then again I always thought that about the slide release on the Smith and Wesson M&P, which is the virtual inspiration for the Vicker's component. It's far better than the stock Glock release when shooting the pistols side by side.

I'll leave the UTG comparison of Vicker's name to the rest of the board.

Omega Man
10-27-11, 01:55
So the consensus is that the Vicker's version is better than a Glock factory or Lone Wolf, extended slide stop?

eternal24k
10-27-11, 09:42
I love mine, all 3 needed significant retensioning, these were also some of what i understand the first batch, and I have heard that they may have more tension now.

I personally think calling it an improvement is an understatement, they are fantastic. I am a slide release guy, so I really like the unit.

Joe Mamma
10-27-11, 10:00
How is this part better than the factory Glock extended one?

I use the factory ones and like them a lot. Just from looking at pictures of the Vickers part, the factory ones look better to me (for my use). But maybe I am missing something.

Joe Mamma

C4IGrant
10-27-11, 10:06
I fail to see the improvement.

IMO, if those TD parts didn't have LAV on 'em, they'd be in the same category as UTG airsoft shit.

The improvment is if you use the slide catch to release the slide (instead of over hand release), it is easier to find and not slip off of.

So in this regard, it is a HUGE improvement. Oh and TD does not equal UTG (FYI).

C4

C4IGrant
10-27-11, 10:08
How is this part better than the factory Glock extended one?

I use the factory ones and like them a lot. Just from looking at pictures of the Vickers part, the factory ones look better to me (for my use). But maybe I am missing something.

Joe Mamma

The extended ones are to far extended. It is more subdued.

C4

Grease Monkey
10-27-11, 10:26
For me it makes it way easier to lock the slide back during malf drills. The serrations and the angle make it much easier for my thumb to get traction on! Not so much with the OEM. I also agree to extended version is too long.

Iraqgunz
10-27-11, 10:37
Really? How did you reach this conclusion? How much experience do you have with either Tango Down or UTG? Larry would not allowed allow his name to be associated with crap, regardless of what some people migh think.

I have had one on my G22 since they were released and it is much better than any of those I have used in the past.

I fail to see the improvement.

IMO, if those TD parts didn't have LAV on 'em, they'd be in the same category as UTG airsoft shit.

grant p
10-27-11, 12:29
OP, is the slide stop functioning well now?

I like the Vickers/TD part quite a bit over the OEM and Glock extended parts. It's a lot easier to hit with my left hand thumb during slide lock reloads, and easier to find during 1 hand manipulations.

JohnN
10-27-11, 12:56
Part certainly works well but I still locked the slide back prematurely as with the Glock extended stop. Never have an issue with the stock Glock part.

one
10-27-11, 13:28
This may not be something you're remotely interested in but...I was doing the opposite of you and preventing it from locking back. I'm trying out one of the Grip force adapters on my G17 and it allows the web of the hand to sit just far enough back that any problems with contacting the release disappeared.

I didn't buy the GFA with that intention. I just noticed it prevented it from occuring (with me) as a side note.

C4IGrant
10-27-11, 14:18
Part certainly works well but I still locked the slide back prematurely as with the Glock extended stop. Never have an issue with the stock Glock part.

This is a training issue. You have to roll your right hand thumb over and out onto your left hand thumb. If you ever shoot a M&P or a host of other weapons where the slide catch isn't pressed against the frame, you will have to shoot this way (FYI).

C4

acaixguard
10-27-11, 14:24
From my (so far) limited experience with the slide release so far, it seems to really help when speed counts. It's much easier to quickly engage the slide release with either thumb.

JohnN
10-27-11, 14:28
This is a training issue. You have to roll your right hand thumb over and out onto your left hand thumb. If you ever shoot a M&P or a host of other weapons where the slide catch isn't pressed against the frame, you will have to shoot this way (FYI).C4

Actually, I'm hitting the underside of the release with a high support hand grip and locking the slide prematurely. The stock part works fine I just thought that I would try the Vickers part.

C4IGrant
10-27-11, 14:31
Actually, I'm hitting the underside of the release with a high support hand grip and locking the slide prematurely. The stock part works fine I just thought that I would try the Vickers part.

Gotcha. That is weird. More than likely, your support hand is moving up during recoil because if you planted your hand on top of it, that wouldn't happen.

C4

echo19
10-27-11, 17:39
Big improvement over stock. Especially when shooting or training left handed; especially locking the slide back. It's definitely not crap.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

acaixguard
10-27-11, 20:06
Well, looks like I have solved the problem of the slide stop not "snapping" back down into the frame. Like someone suggested in an earlier post, I pried the U shaped notch apart every so slightly. Now it does not rub against the frame, and snaps into place like a charm :dance3:

platoonDaddy
10-28-11, 04:18
Now that I can log back in...

When I installed my Vickers slide stop, mine too didn't have as much tension as the original. After shooting it the following weekend, it gained the same level of tension the original did. My advice, go put some rounds through it.

When you installed your slide stop, did you keep the top pin in and slide the slide stop spring under the top pin?

scroll to 5:08 of the following link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trpniw70xA4&feature=channel

munch520
10-28-11, 13:06
This is a training issue. You have to roll your right hand thumb over and out onto your left hand thumb.

C4

Exactly what I had to do :blink: I hate change :sarcastic: