PDA

View Full Version : Curious about wait times for 20" upper.

steelonsteel
10-16-11, 12:51
I've been wanting a 20" rifle for while now - I think it would be fun to shoot with at longer ranges. I'm not truly set on A2 or A4 style - I like to shoot irons a lot for fun and practice, but I do realize the advantages of optics. Part of me says A4 with a carry handle, and then Ic an go to optic later if I decide I want/need to, but then again sometimes price is or isn't an issue.

Anyway...

I've notices that BCM is ALWAYS out fo stock of the 20" gov't uppers. If you order one, how long has everyone typically/ballpark been waiting?

I had been all set to do a PSA 20" upper, but after they bait and switched me, I called them on it and they had the gall to charge me a 10% "restocking fee" for product that they never mailed and never left thier building. So I think I'll go with someone else.

A lot of the lower quality types [armalite, bushmaster, etc.] are 1/9 - which i guess for a paper puncher would probably be OK, but they are also generally NOT f-marked front sight bases for A3's, as well as the usual non-TDP parts.

Part of me says I'm making too big a deal for a paper puncher - I already have two top of the line carbines for real use - and buying something like an Armalite or bushmaster would be much easier/cheaper, but I just have such a hard time swallowing that for like another $100 or so I could theoretically have something like a BCM.

So what are wait times running like, and am I over thinking this? is there something I'm missing in regards to a way to assebmle a good looking A2 or A4 clone on the cheap?

5pins
10-16-11, 13:28
I would definitely get an A4 over the A2. It can do anything the A2 can and more. I would also absolutely wait until a quality upper turns up and not settle on something less.

GeorgiaBoy
10-16-11, 16:24
Another vote for an A4. There is nothing an A2 can do that an A4 can't do.

I bought the same upper back in August. I believe I waited about 2 weeks from when I signed up for email notifications. They were gone a week later. They usually come in stock about once a month.

steelonsteel
10-16-11, 16:34
Will their website let me "buy it" without it being in stock, and then I get shipped one whenever they do ahve them? That would eliminate the possibility that I get e-mailed it is in stock, but sold out by the time I get home to buy it. If so, maybe that's the way for me to do it. I don't mind a long wait, so long as I get what I want - and I know form BCM I would get absolutely what I want with no compromises.

Kfgk14
10-16-11, 17:19
Building a 20" is always an option-I built mine and just put 80 rounds through it today. They go together just as easily as any other, and you'll get exactly what you want in a rifle.

rocketman
10-16-11, 17:36
Will their website let me "buy it" without it being in stock, and then I get shipped one whenever they do ahve them?

I don't think you can back order at BCM. The email notification has aleways worked well for me. Sometimes I have an email sent to home and work so I won't miss out.

VIP3R 237
10-16-11, 17:38
Little off topic but on a 20 inch rifle I was under the impression you dont want a F marked fsb. I thought the F Marked was slightly taller than the rifle fsb to make up for the lower velocities out of the carbine length barrels.

5pins
10-16-11, 17:52
Little off topic but on a 20 inch rifle I was under the impression you dont want a F marked fsb. I thought the F Marked was slightly taller than the rifle fsb to make up for the lower velocities out of the carbine length barrels.

F marked FSB’s are for all flat top uppers and non F marked are for A2 uppers.

VIP3R 237
10-16-11, 19:04
F marked FSB’s are for all flat top uppers and non F marked are for A2 uppers.

Thank you for the clarification, now I know.

markm
10-17-11, 12:46
I've notices that BCM is ALWAYS out fo stock of the 20" gov't uppers.

Grant has them in stock now, Cousin.

steelonsteel
10-22-11, 01:32
Wanted to give a slight update.

Last couple of days I haven't been able to get on - seems like the site has been down every day for like 4 days or so, or at least every time I tried to get on it was.

So just the other day the 20" uppers showed as IN STOCK at BCM, so I ordered one, added a BCM bolt and carrier, added a BCM "gunfigher" charging handle, and it should be here Monday. I also sent in the mail a USPS mony order for a matching A2 lower, and I purchased a set of A2 forearms from a local shop.

I still need to get a BCM carry handle [they are out at the moment], and eventually I probably pick up one of the blem R5 RAS rails from knights.

So I took everyone's advice - got teh quality unit incoming, and Im very pelased - I hope to do a detailed photo and shooting report soon!~