PDA

View Full Version : If You Could Go "Daniel Boone"...Would You...?

SteyrAUG
10-16-11, 15:39
As a kid I always marveled at stories about Boone and the adventurous life he lived. The idea that there was undiscovered territory where one could just "go and make his own way" hunting and camping to survive was fascinating to a suburban kid like myself. A distant, extremely removed, relationship to Boone simply fueled the fire of my imagination.

Now I know there are still unconquered parts of the US but they are probably a greater challenge than unsettled areas of Kentucky. And I don't think anyone is looking for the Christopher McCandless experience.

But if there was still prime territory waiting to be explored I could definitely see being interested in the long term camping trip, well maybe not these days but certainly when I was a few years younger.

There were of course many related hardships, especially related to his conflicts with American Indians, but in those times terrible things could happen even in very settled areas.

Must have been an incredible time to be alive.

ryan
10-16-11, 15:55
The idealistic child that lives deep in my soul and mind wants deeply for such an adventure. The getting close to middle aged, going bald, bum shoulder and ankle piece of the man that once was knows better.

The closest I can get to such adventure is a good walk in the woods that remain with my rifle. Then when the light fades after the hunt is done a warm fire in camp, cigarette, whiskey, and maybe just maybe a fresh backstrap on the spit.

I agree woulda been a heckuva time back then.

pilotguyo540
10-16-11, 16:42
My short and sweet answer is... In a heartbeat!

jaydoc1
10-16-11, 19:16
I would do it and take my family with me in a second. Not only that, they would go with me whole-heartedly.

To be able to walk away from the daily grind. To leave all the trappings of technology behind (and I am tech-crazy). To be able to head back into the wilderness and only interact with others if I so-chose. Yes. Absolutely.

I would have to be able to do it the way Boone and Crockett did, though. Without government interference with the taking of animals, etc...

VooDoo6Actual
10-16-11, 19:26
Yes.

Perhaps we may get that chance....

montanadave
10-16-11, 20:16
If you have not seen the film Alone in the Wilderness (http://www.dickproenneke.com/index.html) or read the book One Man's Wilderness (http://www.amazon.com/One-Mans-Wilderness-Alaskan-Odyssey/dp/0882405136/ref=pd_cp_mov_1) about Dick Proenneke, do yourself a favor and find a copy.

Dick Proenneke had himself dropped off at Twin Lakes in Alaska in 1968 and spent the next year and a half building a cabin on the lake shore, being periodically supplied by floatplane and living in almost total isolation for much of the time, filming a lot of his activities. After he finished his cabin, he took a trip home to see his family and then returned to Twin Lakes, where he lived for the next thirty years.

His book is written in journal style and the film was shot with old "Super 8" or some such (I'm not a film guy) but it is absolutely extraordinary. You can just feel the silence, the solitude, the raw wilderness of the place. If his story and the accompanying film doesn't trigger some wanderlust and get your juices flowing to strike out into the wild, check your pulse 'cuz you must be dead.

Heavy Metal
10-16-11, 20:58
Daniel Boone lived before the American Chesnut became blighted.

The Chestnut was a major foodsource in and of itself and kept the abundant wildlife population fed.

This made foraging far easier than it would be today.

Heavy Metal
10-16-11, 21:00
Yes.

Perhaps we may get that chance....

Short of a Nuclear Exchange, not gonna happen. Thats not to say things are not gonna get hairy but society will do fantastic if it ever has to remove its deadwood by necessity.

Agriculture will survive, perhaps thrive. It is amazing how much food a man can grow just in his back yard.

SteyrAUG
10-16-11, 22:42
The idealistic child that lives deep in my soul and mind wants deeply for such an adventure. The getting close to middle aged, going bald, bum shoulder and ankle piece of the man that once was knows better.

The closest I can get to such adventure is a good walk in the woods that remain with my rifle. Then when the light fades after the hunt is done a warm fire in camp, cigarette, whiskey, and maybe just maybe a fresh backstrap on the spit.

I agree woulda been a heckuva time back then.

Nice to see a kindred spirit.

If you have not seen the film Alone in the Wilderness (http://www.dickproenneke.com/index.html) or read the book One Man's Wilderness (http://www.amazon.com/One-Mans-Wilderness-Alaskan-Odyssey/dp/0882405136/ref=pd_cp_mov_1) about Dick Proenneke, do yourself a favor and find a copy.

Dick Proenneke had himself dropped off at Twin Lakes in Alaska in 1968 and spent the next year and a half building a cabin on the lake shore, being periodically supplied by floatplane and living in almost total isolation for much of the time, filming a lot of his activities. After he finished his cabin, he took a trip home to see his family and then returned to Twin Lakes, where he lived for the next thirty years.

His book is written in journal style and the film was shot with old "Super 8" or some such (I'm not a film guy) but it is absolutely extraordinary. You can just feel the silence, the solitude, the raw wilderness of the place. If his story and the accompanying film doesn't trigger some wanderlust and get your juices flowing to strike out into the wild, check your pulse 'cuz you must be dead.

I'll look into the book. I think Alaska would easily prove too advanced for me. I've been there, it's a hard place to rough it.

Norinco
10-16-11, 23:27
I loved that film when I was a kid! I would watch it every time it was on PBS. I was fascinated by this lifestyle when I was young...

MistWolf
10-16-11, 23:34
Yes, I would. One reason I'd love to move back to Southeast Utah. One reason I'm going crazy after I sold my Jeep. I love exploring deep in the outdoors areas.

They aren't as wild as they were when I was a kid, though

Honu
10-16-11, 23:42

this guy always comes to my mind when I think of bugging out getting away from it all

amazing amazing story for sure

Honu
10-16-11, 23:50
most of my life is from the islands of Hawaii but I went through and just past HS age up in the Pacific North West out in the Kitsap Peninsula and used to head up to the Olympics all the time and spent a lot of time exploring and camping etc.. back in the late 70s early 80s mostly then moved back to the islands full time
I did a stint for fun to live off the land for 6 months :) it was fun but I was also 20 turning 30 age so young in very good shape no kids no wife no worries nothing
had to say it was a very good experience hunting daily etc.. no contact with stores etc.. about as close as I could get to being cut off
lived in a tent two pair of clothes my spear fishing gear knife just basics close as I could get to Daniel Boone island style :)

I think at this point I would die in the desert cause I dont know enough about water source in the NW or the islands I can live cause I know how and what to eat drink etc..
still love expedition style camping in a 4x4 rig a lot try to make fire with primitive tools etc.. when I can just for fun

Irish
10-17-11, 01:12

Ed Wardle did a 3 month stint in the Yukon by himself... Similar and very thought provoking. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xugVC41uHbs&feature=rellist&playnext=1&list=PLB4D7D682047FCF49

Honu
10-17-11, 02:24
Ed Wardle did a 3 month stint in the Yukon by himself... Similar and very thought provoking. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xugVC41uHbs&feature=rellist&playnext=1&list=PLB4D7D682047FCF49

saw a show on one of the discovery or something on his doing ;) pretty wild and tough for sure to take such harsh place on!

VooDoo6Actual
10-17-11, 11:46
Short of a Nuclear Exchange, not gonna happen. Thats not to say things are not gonna get hairy but society will do fantastic if it ever has to remove its deadwood by necessity.

Agriculture will survive, perhaps thrive. It is amazing how much food a man can grow just in his back yard.

Perhaps that's why I used the word, "perhaps"....

markm
10-17-11, 13:34
Where would I get my Whole Milk Grande Latte before my Saturday shoot?

Where would I chase tail?

How could I make posts on the web about how LWRCi sucks ass?

I couldn't do it!:(

TriumphRat675
10-17-11, 13:38
Always sounds like fun until I remember I'd have to be my own dentist.

HK51Fan
10-17-11, 14:38
All Tom hanks needed was an ice skate for his dentist! :bad:

SteyrAUG
10-17-11, 15:15

Yeah, it is things like that which keep me from seriously considering the Unambomber shack in the middle of the woods.

Iraqgunz
10-17-11, 16:13
At least you would have me near by and we could by the suppressed sniper duo. :lol:

Where would I get my Whole Milk Grande Latte before my Saturday shoot?

Where would I chase tail?

How could I make posts on the web about how LWRCi sucks ass?

I couldn't do it!:(

Mark/MO
10-17-11, 20:44
As a kid I always marveled at stories about Boone and the adventurous life he lived. The idea that there was undiscovered territory where one could just "go and make his own way" hunting and camping to survive was fascinating to a suburban kid like myself. A distant, extremely removed, relationship to Boone simply fueled the fire of my imagination.

Must have been an incredible time to be alive.

I agree, an incredible time to be alive. Growing up I was facinated reading about Boone, Lewis and Clark and others who lived that life. Heck, I've passed the half century point and still find it the stuff of daydreams. I tend to read a lot and love to read about those who have explored and lived for extended time in the wilds. And yes, I would still love to try living that way.

As a teenager a friend and I used to go on long weekend camping trips w/o tents or sleeping bags. A day pack with just a blanket, skillet, potatoes, an onion or two, cornmeal, 22 pistol and maybe a fishing rod. We called them "catch what you eat" weekends. Squirrels, rabbit, fish, frog legs, fried potatoes, etc. We'd typically wander down a small river in the local area, camping under the stars beside a fire. I always thought of Boone or Lewis and Clark and feel for a brief moment there in the dark what it must have been like. Probably doesn't sound like a big deal but to a kid it was heaven.

LHS
10-17-11, 22:55

This. This also is why TEOTWAWKI/SHTF would suck.

JohnnyC
10-18-11, 00:04
After reading Hatchet in elementary school, and, in my mind romanticizing the outdoors, I thought it would be great to get away from everything. Then I realized how difficult it would be in souther Arizona, even with the foodstuffs we have here. I wouldn't mind going out for a couple weeks, but a long haul might be tough out here. It would definitely be a steep learning curve, one that I freely admit I am not as prepared for as I should be.

SteyrAUG
10-18-11, 01:02
I agree, an incredible time to be alive. Growing up I was facinated reading about Boone, Lewis and Clark and others who lived that life. Heck, I've passed the half century point and still find it the stuff of daydreams. I tend to read a lot and love to read about those who have explored and lived for extended time in the wilds. And yes, I would still love to try living that way.

As a teenager a friend and I used to go on long weekend camping trips w/o tents or sleeping bags. A day pack with just a blanket, skillet, potatoes, an onion or two, cornmeal, 22 pistol and maybe a fishing rod. We called them "catch what you eat" weekends. Squirrels, rabbit, fish, frog legs, fried potatoes, etc. We'd typically wander down a small river in the local area, camping under the stars beside a fire. I always thought of Boone or Lewis and Clark and feel for a brief moment there in the dark what it must have been like. Probably doesn't sound like a big deal but to a kid it was heaven.

Some of my fondest memories are sleeping outside under the stars when I was a kid visiting my grandparents in Iowa. While I was quite as spartan as you (I brought along an old wooden GI cot, pillow and blanket) falling asleep staring at the full moon was nothing short of awesome. Waking up to a crisp, cold morning with an iron skillet full of bacon (sometimes we'd bring eggs) on the campfire was the way to wake up.

Honu
10-18-11, 01:11
Makes me want to get the Daniel Boone shows from the 60s and show my kids :) used to love that show

variablebinary
10-18-11, 03:47
People do it all the time.

Yellowstone is filled with people who've fallen off the face of civilized earth.

There are caravan communities with residents that are beholden to no one.

Most people just don't have the balls to do it, or love the modern world too much to let it all go.

I had a good English friend that went to Thailand for 5 years. No one heard from her. She was just gone. Turned up in Scotland one day, like everything was fine. She was living on a beach somewhere in a hut.

Suwannee Tim
10-18-11, 03:59

I'm pretty good at that, with a toothbrush and floss I can keep them clean enough they don't need anything else. I'd have a harder time being my own Cardiologist or Gastroenterologist. I do the Dan'l Boone thing after a fashion. A week on some remote river or lake, you can get pretty far from civilization. In the North, Canada or Alaska, you can get way far from civilization. I haven't done anything there for the last 12 years. I am thinking of getting an Emergency Locator Beacon. I wouldn't go back to Alaska or Canada without one. A friend went on a 4 week trip in the Canadian Arctic. When he came back 7 weeks later he weighed 30 pounds less. And he didn't have 30 pounds of flab to loose.

viperashes
10-18-11, 07:38
I think it would be interesting to go somewhere and not necessarily so much do the Daniel Boone thing, but do the Book of Eli thing.

Just load up with whatever I could carry. Food, ammo, water, whatever, and just go. Walk until I found the place that I was looking for without ever really knowing exactly where that would be.

Interesting concept in my head, in practice, the world is too screwed up.

Honu
10-18-11, 12:15
People do it all the time.

Yellowstone is filled with people who've fallen off the face of civilized earth.

There are caravan communities with residents that are beholden to no one.

Most people just don't have the balls to do it, or love the modern world too much to let it all go.

I had a good English friend that went to Thailand for 5 years. No one heard from her. She was just gone. Turned up in Scotland one day, like everything was fine. She was living on a beach somewhere in a hut.

a lot of people in the islands live off the grid not as much exploring as just living totally on their own
the good thing about many islands you cant die of heat and you cant freeze to death that easy so its basically just keep dry in the Hawaiian islands no predators except for the two leg ones plenty of food grows wild and trading is very big with many

Moose-Knuckle
10-18-11, 16:56
I have always felt that I was born a couple centuries too late. Being west of the Hudson wearing buck skins with a long rifle, knife, and tomahawk, circa 1750's has always been something I have pined for.

However, it may seem like the ideal life but it was hard for all. An abscessed tooth could kill. You were your own doctor. Life expectancy was not all that high. Accounts of Mountain Men were pretty arduous. Stories of guys having to amputate their own limbs to free themselves from being pinned under a bolder and or staving off an infection from a traumatic wound. Though I suppose not all that different from modern day adventures such as Araon Ralston.

http://climb-utah.com/Roost/bluejohn2.htm

Scoby
10-18-11, 17:03
Only if I had Mingo with me. :D

BushmasterFanBoy
10-28-11, 22:46
In a heartbeat.

That kind of life is what I long for, but there's no way to attain it in today's world. (Or maybe I'm just making excuses) Perhaps one day when I get much older, say, in my 40's or something ;) , I'd very much like to try my hand at eking a living out of nature with nothing but myself and my wits. Sometimes I think that it would be one hell of a retirement plan.

Will there be a lot of cold, crappy nights? You bet. Will there be times that I'd be very close to death, and scarred out of my mind that I might die alone, sick from some easily curable malady, or nursing a broken/sprained limb because of something stupid I did? Probably.

But I think that nothing else would be quite as deeply fulfilling (on an quasi-spiritual level) as knowing that in this world you are master of your own existence, the ultimate decider of your own life and death. That really grabs me on a very basic level.

11-01-11, 10:48
Yes; even with the knowledge of how hard life was then.

CarlosDJackal
11-02-11, 11:20
I would leave my current life and all my possessions that I did not need or cannot take with me to go "Daniel Boone".

DeltaSierra
11-02-11, 20:07
I would go "Daniel Boone" in a heartbeat.

I am quite aware of what this would entail (I have lived this sort of lifestyle in the past) and quite honestly, I prefer that life to the modern, computerized world I live in at this point.

While it is tough, it is not impossible to be quite comfortable without all the modern conveniences that we are so used to these days...

Buck
11-02-11, 20:25
Toilet paper?

Belmont31R
11-02-11, 20:41
Toilet paper?

3 sea shells...:cool:

________

I would not want a mountain man life style but I wouldn't mind living in a less populated area, and have more public land available for use (something in very short supply in Texas). Id like to live a simpler life. My wife and I are both getting educated so we can afford to move somewhere like that. I hate living in the city and having neighbors 10ft away.

If I was single I would not mind living in a micro house and garden my own food + raise live stock. Something I can't do here and is a major hindrance to independent living.

I don't think people realize just how tough that lifestyle is and how short peoples life spans back then were. Thats why they didn't need birth control and the population still rose much less than it does now. Stuff we take for granted quickly becomes life and death situations. Lots of people went out there and were never heard from again.

Kchen986
11-02-11, 20:47
As much as I love the outdoors, I would not.

Food, shelter, showers. Blistering cold in the winter, or, very hot in the summer, depending on latitude and topography. Screw up your supply of food or water and you're going to suffer. No dental, no medical. Daylight will likely dictate your waking hours, and you will have to fend off rodents, bugs, and other animals.

Maybe I need to harden the **** up, but after two weeks without a shower, I have to say, I like my showers. :)

PdxMotoxer
11-02-11, 21:50
As much as i love camping here in the great north west
I also love my warm showers, HDTV, and 50+ meg wi-fi connection.

but at the min i'd have to figure out some Gilligan's Island way to power my Jura coffee center. (like pedal bike powered) :sarcastic:

Looking back to when black and white TV's didn't have remotes we didn't miss it because we never had it and didn't know any better.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-02-11, 22:33
I generally go back packing for 3-5 days at a time a couple of times a year when Im in CO. If I could make that my lifestyle, believe me I would.

http://www.alaskaantlerworks.com/Alaska_cabin.htm

That link motivates me like crazy. I read it all the time and can't wait for the opportunity to decrease my blip on the radar.

CarlosDJackal
11-03-11, 12:55
Toilet paper?

Wet leaves or twigs work. But the best ones to use is rabbit fur. :dance3:

Cincinnatus
11-03-11, 13:27
Look up the Chris Ledoux song "Mountain Wildman." It should be the anthem for this thread.

I too have always liked Daniel Boone stories (read The Frontiersmen By Allan Eckert), but in actual fact, living like that in the wilderness for long periods of time would result in the same thing that happened to Boone, namely his wife shacking up with his brother and other dudes while he was off in the woods. As much as I might be a wildman, my wife is not much for the woods.

A better system would be like Liver Eating Johnson (called "Jeremiah Johnson" in the Robert Redford film), where he had a squaw/wife, as did many mountain men. Those old codgers survived without any chestnuts, living on Elk and venison. But to do that today would be very difficult without some form of yearly income--the mountain men had yearly sales of beaver pelts to buy their year's supplies of flour, salt, etc. with. Even they did not live completely off the land--and neither did Boone or Simon Kenton, except for extreme circumstances when they had no choice or were very far afield. They had supplies or traded with Indians for certain items.

The hermit lifestyle on one's own large swathe of private property with some sort of constant income to support the minimum amount of supplies would be idyllic.

Moose-Knuckle
11-05-11, 03:24
This thread got me to thinking about a guy I once read about. After a little google-fu here you go, a great read.

The Last Of The Mountain Men
For the past 34 years a 20th-century frontiersman named Sylvan Hart has lived an 18th-century life in the wilderness of Idaho
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1079108/index.htm

This gentleman died in 1980, however if you are interested here is a book about his life. The man even made is own black powder rifles from scratch, no kit build!

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Mountain-Men-Story-Solitary/dp/0960356665

Honu
11-05-11, 03:49
one of my buds dads lives off the land like a mountain man found out :)
sounds pretty wild and had some pics of his dad on facebook right out of the old times looks like :)