PDA

View Full Version : My stick

shark31
11-19-07, 12:20
I'm almost finished with my first bolt rifle (changing can from AAC 7.62SD to a Surefire FA7.62K). A huge thanks to Jered at PAI for helping me along.

I also found 6,000 FGMM 210M primers, so I'll be reloading soon enough. The only purchases left are new dies, projectiles, a Swaro LRF, and a good class or three to get started.

Here's a pic:
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/shark3-1/IMG_3237copy.jpg

ashooter
11-23-07, 19:09
Man that is one nice rig!!! You got just about every whiz-bang component there is!

How many rounds you got downrange with it?

How do you like the Badger bottom metal and mags? The AR part of my brain likes the idea, but the old-school bolt-action part of my brain says it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

shark31
11-24-07, 00:37
Man that is one nice rig!!! You got just about every whiz-bang component there is!

How many rounds you got downrange with it?

How do you like the Badger bottom metal and mags? The AR part of my brain likes the idea, but the old-school bolt-action part of my brain says it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

I have 1,235 logged rounds. I figured why buy cheap (and twice) when I could just get everything that I wanted the first go round. It is capable of shooting 1/10" groups at 100:

The Badger bottom metal is the best thing since sliced bread. I have no complaints about it at all.

The A-5 is being replaced by a Manners T2A with 90% CF fill. I just don't like the A-5 rear at all, it's hell riding bags. I'm hoping that the Surefire will live up to it's hype, for the better part of $2,000 it had better.

Derek_Connor
11-24-07, 10:46
The A-5 and AAC 7.62SD on the other hand are being replaced by a Surefire FA7.62K and a Manners T2A with 90% CF fill. I just don't like the A-5 rear at all, it's hell riding bags. The AAC can might be OK for a battle rifle or machine gun, but it does not get my vote of confidence as a precision rifle can (the group at the bottom right of the pic is the suppressed group). I'm hoping that the Surefire will live up to it's hype, for the better part of $2,000 it had better.

How many groups have you put through the AAC can? Is that a representative group?

Very interesting how they opened up, what do you think is the problem?

shark31
11-24-07, 11:38
How many groups have you put through the AAC can? Is that a representative group?

Very interesting how they opened up, what do you think is the problem?

Edited

Trim2L
11-24-07, 12:07
It isn't exactly representative, as sometimes it will shoot better. I'm not getting baffle strikes, so I think the issue is weight, harmonics, and the mount. Mainly the mount will not allow the spring to rest in a valley, and when shot one valley loose, it has a lot of play in the mount. The Surefire should be able to clear up any issues I have with it.

I tried out some '07 model 7.62SDs on the rifle and didn't seem to have as much of an issue, but the mount problem still bothered me as it ate apart the inside of my TAB cover on the rear where the mount meets the can. Gas and burning carbon coming back towards me and that glass did not make me happy.

My thoughts are that if the rifle shoots 1/10" groups, it should be (at the very least) capable of doing that with the can attached. The surefire is 10oz. lighter and has MUCH tighter lockup to the barrel, the only problem I have with them is the cost ($1850 MSRP without a mount).

I'm not totally disapointed with the AAC can. I've seen one run on a 240B and it was OK, so that to me is impressive, I just don't think that it is the best choice for a precision rifle can. For me, out of all the cans out there, the only way to go is thread mount or Surefire for a precision can (because noone else on the market has a QD that consistantly gives solid lockup to the barrel).

It is a bummer you encountered a problem but it does seem to be representative of that style AAC mount. I can't see why they still even make it with the number of problems that have been reported. Did AAC at least fix the problem?

Good choice on the SF, that mount is rock solid.

shark31
11-24-07, 12:40
It is a bummer you encountered a problem but it does seem to be representative of that style AAC mount. I can't see why they still even make it with the number of problems that have been reported. Did AAC at least fix the problem?

Good choice on the SF, that mount is rock solid.

Edited

Hootiewho
11-28-07, 14:06
I wonder if the 762SD would make a good dedicated .300 Whisper can with say a 10.5" barrel, or would those issues still have an effect on accuracy?

shark31
11-29-07, 11:38
I have edited out all comments regarding AAC, I was dragged into the AAC vs. Larue debacle and now I want no part in a post on M4carbine being used on TOS. Sorry for any harm done.