PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&P 15 Sporter?

Blayglock
10-17-11, 09:46
What is the main difference between the sporter version and the regular M&P 15? They have got to be cutting cost somewhere.

SomeOtherGuy
10-17-11, 10:06
Barrel is a special model: 4140 steel, not chrome lined but is Melonite treated, straight profile instead of M4 profile, 1:8 twist and 5R rifling
No dust cover or forward assist on the upper
Lower has integrated trigger guard instead of separate piece
Handguards don't have heat shields
Not sure of origin and quality of rear sight

The first four are all cost-saving measures. However, the barrel is probably a very good barrel despite being less expensive to make, the integral trigger guard is probably better than the conventional folding guard for most purposes.

Blayglock
10-17-11, 11:41
That does not sound to bad. I would probably replace the handguard with a magpul. Might could save some money for my purposes.

SomeOtherGuy
10-17-11, 12:31
I think it's a pretty good deal for what it is, and probably better overall than many other options within $100-200 of its price. But I'm not sure how compelling it is when you can get a Colt 6920 for a little under $1000, or you can get a Palmetto State Armory M4-clone with a $400 Aimpoint for about $1000 total.

The_Hammer_Man
10-17-11, 14:23
The new M&p15 Sporter is apparently meant to fill the same market nitch as the DPMS Sportical.

Basically... it's just enough gun to go bang LOL!

A young friend of mine has one and so far he's had no issues with it. It's reasonably accurate (about1-1.5moa w/ 55 gr V-max ammo) and, so far, hasn't exhibited any signs of going belly up.

I won't call it a "tactical carbine" because it isn't. It's a inexpensive "entry level" AR. That's what it's billed as and that's what they deliver.

If you're looking for a patrol rifle or the like... this isn't it.

If you're looking for a low cost entry level AR carbine it's not a bad choice.

Flame on!

TJ

SomeOtherGuy
10-17-11, 14:38
I think that's an accurate description, and there are no pretenses of it being a high-end M4 clone. But I think it's at least somewhat better than a DPMS Sportical! (BTW, I do not own one or any other S&W AR.)

saddlerocker
10-17-11, 23:07
Or you could get this and buy a stripped lower all for about $600-$650
http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/2552.php

If it wasnt for these PSA deals the M&P15 Sport would be the best choice in the $6-700 range imo

Blayglock
10-18-11, 08:09
Ive looked at those PSA deal as well. Pretty cool because I could get a stripped lower for $79.

AngeredKabar
10-18-11, 09:12
Or you could get this and buy a stripped lower all for about $600-$650
http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/2552.php

If it wasnt for these PSA deals the M&P15 Sport would be the best choice in the $6-700 range imo

Or maybe a warranty is worth the difference to some people.

brian0128
10-18-11, 11:14
I didn't like the fact that it didn't have the forward assist.

SIMBA-LEE
10-18-11, 12:52
I didn't like the fact that it didn't have the forward assist.

In 40 years of using AR's I've never had to use the forward assist. Not even way back when there weren't any. ;)

brian0128
10-18-11, 15:02
In 40 years of using AR's I've never had to use the forward assist. Not even way back when there weren't any. ;)

I've never needed it on a personal weapon but I had one crappy issue weapon when I was in the Army and I had a problem with my bolt closing all the way so I had no choice but to use it on the first round of every mag. I'd rather have it than not because of that experience.

Caeser25
10-18-11, 19:50
Someone on another forum said they picked one up for less than $600. Good option for a 3rd kiss rifle. I'm still searching for it at the sub $600 price though.

Brennan
10-18-11, 20:58
I still haven't seen it sub $600, but i know gunnies.com carries them for riiiiight around $600 even.

Blayglock
10-18-11, 21:18
Thanks y'all. I picked up a regular M&P 15 like this one:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765652_-1_757785_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

MSteele
10-18-11, 21:28
My first AR was a S&W M&P 15T and I had no issues with it. The best thing about S&W is their customer service and they do make some great firearms. Especially for a first AR there is nothing wrong with that.

brian0128
10-19-11, 06:38
Thanks y'all. I picked up a regular M&P 15 like this one:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765652_-1_757785_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

I'm sure you'll be happy. I have a similar rifle that has the removable charging handle instead of the BUIS that I got in trade for some concrete work and it's been to hell and back riding in the toolbox in the back of my truck but still works great. Wish I had the BUIS sometimes instead though.

hghlndr85
10-19-11, 17:57
anyone who buys the mp15 sport will be very happy with it, its a no brainer for the money. mine was very accurate and never had a hiccup. i dis agree that u couldnt use it as a patrol rifle though. is it the perfect rifle for duty? no but its very functional to be used as one if costs were a issue,and for everyday range use its plenty of gun for the money,and fyi the melonite barrel grouped tighter then other brand chrome barrels with all different shooters.to each is own but i loved the rifle

Shane1
10-21-11, 22:18
The no dustcover is the biggest issue that I see as far as using it for a patrol rifle. If its carried in a trunk and not in a case, more of a chance for debris/dirt/etc to works its way into the upper receiver. ALso, deploying it in inclement weather, no dustcover will allow more rain/etc in. I'm not thrilled about the MIM hammer either but if it holds up, it holds up. Honestly though, most officers will not run it hard enough to cause a breakage. I've seen them listed for about $550 so price wise, its not so bad.

regal
10-22-11, 07:08
Anyone know where one could by a stripped sport upper receiver, would be perfect for a lghtweight build.

Shane1
10-22-11, 12:09
For the price of thier Sporter, you could buy one complete and sell the lower if you didnt want it..

sxshep
10-22-11, 16:39
I was reeeeeeally close to buying this as my first AR about a month ago... I had about 3 people looking and checking different suppliers for me. Finally, one of them called and said "$540+$20 shipping". SWEET!

Well I didn't hear back from him for a week, then he calls and says he can't get them anymore... apparently (as of a month ago) they're pretty popular and Smith was having trouble getting them shipped out.

Sooooooo, I just decided to build one with exactly what I wanted in a first AR. I ended up spending about $920, which was about $300+ than the Smith would have been, but I'm pretty happy with what I have.

But for a basic, stripped down, bare bones rifle... I'd take this over a DPMS Sporter any day. Smith's intention with this is to bring people into the AR world at a low cost with a quality rifle, and I think they're doing a great job thus far with the M&P15 Sport.

highxj
10-23-11, 12:34
Anyone know where one could by a stripped sport upper receiver, would be perfect for a lghtweight build.

I agree. I emailed Smith about it and was told the stripped upper is not for sale.

I got one of these rifles for my wife, it's a screaming deal and I'm tempted to grab another one just for three hell of it.

steelonsteel
10-23-11, 13:00
Or maybe a warranty is worth the difference to some people.

or aligned feedramps... or bolts that don't bind... or maybe even actually being able to get someone at their customer service phone line... but mabe I'm being picky.

elnino31
10-23-11, 13:14
or aligned feedramps... or bolts that don't bind... or maybe even actually being able to get someone at their customer service phone line... but mabe I'm being picky.

I owned an m&p15t and never had an issue with the bolt. I had under 2k rounds through it, so I don't know about long term. However, I have dealt w/ their customer service on two occasions and was always able to get someone fairly quickly. Very friendly in my experience as well.

txf15crewchief
10-23-11, 15:02
I owned an m&p15t and never had an issue with the bolt. I had under 2k rounds through it, so I don't know about long term. However, I have dealt w/ their customer service on two occasions and was always able to get someone fairly quickly. Very friendly in my experience as well.

I believe he was alluding to PSA not Smith & Wesson.

steelonsteel
10-23-11, 15:07

That is exactly what I meant - you can actually GET service with S&W. Good luck with PSA. Likewise, thier carbines haev their feedramps aligned, generally work right, and so on.

OldState
10-23-11, 20:39
My buddy was in the market for his 1st AR back in June. I told him don't buy anything until you research for a month or so ( I emailed him a few dozen links). A week later he called and said he bought a M&P Sporter for $575 at a local shop.

When he brought it over for me to instal the $360 RIS II rail his wife bough him:blink: I got to take a close look at it.

I went over the rifle and it is actually very well made and put together. Everything staked correctly and the BCG checked all the boxes. It had the cleanest breaking GI trigger I ever felt. Maybe 5.5lbs and zero creep. The hand guards are a joke though.

I don't know how well it shoots because he has not shot it yet:rolleyes:

m4brian
10-24-11, 11:32
While S&W customer service is HUGE, I don't know if their ARs are covered for lifetime - if so... this is a plus.

it is HARD to find dissatisfied customers on the www. But, are these MPI/HPT'ed? A melonited barrel is a nice thing, and no bolt assist is fine. I always thought this was useless - from the first time I was familiarized decades ago...

The issue with Palmetto State and customer service: from what I've read, I think I would trust them to make good on their products. Also, being a startup in the weapon end, and knowing the competition, I believe they would be extra good about it, so I don't necessarily think it would be a matter of good luck. They have been first rate in ALL their business from what I can tell, and their current AR offerings have the right materials/components unless proven otherwise.

sundance435
10-24-11, 18:57
The no dustcover is the biggest issue that I see as far as using it for a patrol rifle. If its carried in a trunk and not in a case, more of a chance for debris/dirt/etc to works its way into the upper receiver. ALso, deploying it in inclement weather, no dustcover will allow more rain/etc in. I'm not thrilled about the MIM hammer either but if it holds up, it holds up. Honestly though, most officers will not run it hard enough to cause a breakage. I've seen them listed for about $550 so price wise, its not so bad.

I've never seen this "MIM hammer" thing confirmed. Can anyone shed light on this?

Also, i'm not really sure if the dust cover argument holds much weight, especially if the gun is in a case and well-lubed. In inclement weather, is the dust cover really going to prevent that much from getting in there?

thehun
10-24-11, 20:31
You cant go wrong with Smith and Wesson...they have great internal guts (which is what is most important in my book) I've had mine for a while now with thousands of rounds through it...shoots like new...never had a jam with any ammo..even the cheapie russian kind...the trigger is a great trigger...like it much better than RRA triggers

My SW MP15 OR had MP markings on the bolt....I know all MP15 have milspec internals inside

thehun
10-24-11, 20:34
My buddy was in the market for his 1st AR back in June. I told him don't buy anything until you research for a month or so ( I emailed him a few dozen links). A week later he called and said he bought a M&P Sporter for $575 at a local shop.

When he brought it over for me to instal the $360 RIS II rail his wife bough him:blink: I got to take a close look at it.

I went over the rifle and it is actually very well made and put together. Everything staked correctly and the BCG checked all the boxes. It had the cleanest breaking GI trigger I ever felt. Maybe 5.5lbs and zero creep. The hand guards are a joke though.

I don't know how well it shoots because he has not shot it yet:rolleyes:

Smithies do have a great trigger...I love mind...zero creep as you mentioned

Blayglock
10-26-11, 06:54
Here is what I ended up with:

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv239/BlayGlock/Black%20Guns/BlackGuns001.jpg

I want to replace the stock with something I can get a higher cheek weld on.

Thank You all for your help.

usmcvet
10-26-11, 07:23
Can you add a dust cover to it if you want? The forward assist is nothing I'm interested in either. The dust cover is something I want. Does it have a brass deflector?

Blayglock
10-26-11, 07:31
Thats not the Sporter version. It is an M&P15 A I think. It has a dust cover already.

sundance435
10-26-11, 11:14
Can you add a dust cover to it if you want? The forward assist is nothing I'm interested in either. The dust cover is something I want. Does it have a brass deflector?

There's no provision for adding a dust cover. Which, now that I think about it, I don't know why they didn't just leave the attachment point in place on the upper and just not include the cover.