PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Tundra 2007

C4IGrant
11-19-07, 13:46
All,

Am looking at getting Tundra CrewMax (2007). Anyone own one and or have any first hand experience with this vehicle?

C4

Erick Gelhaus
11-19-07, 13:49
Nope. Mine's an '06 - well, an '06 double cab. Really like it. Gas mileage isn't what my Tacoma was, but years ahead of my old Blazer.

Any thing specific?

rob_s
11-19-07, 13:53
How funny, I'm looking at these too. I am trying to find a Crewmax with the factory nav but without all the other "bling" they seem to like to bolt on these things (like $2600 20" rims).

I was hoping to find an '07 to take advantage of the 0% but nothing's popping up.

I also beginning to look at the Taco as well, since the gas mileage is just a little bit better.

C4IGrant
11-19-07, 14:07
How funny, I'm looking at these too. I am trying to find a Crewmax with the factory nav but without all the other "bling" they seem to like to bolt on these things (like $2600 20" rims).

I was hoping to find an '07 to take advantage of the 0% but nothing's popping up.

I also beginning to look at the Taco as well, since the gas mileage is just a little bit better.

I would pass on the NAV. Just get Garmin Nuvi then you can take it from car to car. It is also small enough to fit into your pocket. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=400

I want the limited model with 5.7L, 4X4, moonroof and 20" wheels.

C4

rob_s
11-19-07, 14:08
The factory nav comes with the rearview camera and an upgraded JBL stereo, that's why I am looking at it. I know the JBL won't be top of the line, but I don't want to bother with aftermarket.

Patrick Aherne
11-19-07, 14:12
Very nice for people who don't use trucks like trucks. When my F150 dies, I will buy one.

C4IGrant
11-19-07, 14:22
The factory nav comes with the rearview camera and an upgraded JBL stereo, that's why I am looking at it. I know the JBL won't be top of the line, but I don't want to bother with aftermarket.

Roger on the camera. Didn't want that so didn't look at that option.

Gotta tell ya, the new slim line after market GPS's are simply fantastic. They are really nice for traveling in big cities as you can just put it in your pocket. Ideal for finding a restaurant, hotel, etc without having to pull out a map while walking around.

C4

rob_s
11-19-07, 14:34
If I go the Taco route, I'll undoubtedly be running a Nuvi.

dubb-1
11-19-07, 14:58
Grant, I have been looking at that same model since it was introduced. I already own a large truck, so it really isn't logical for me. That has never stopped me before, though...

Because of the initial cost, and the rise in gas prices, I don't think you'll find a lot of feedback on the usual firearm forums. I would suggest that you join some Toyota specific forums in order to get the straight dope.

rob_s
11-19-07, 15:19
www.toyotanation.com if you want to hear from the "Toyo can do no wrong" camp.

www.tundrasolutions.com if you want to hear that the Tundra is falling off it's axles.

KintlaLake
11-19-07, 15:42
My former employer had a sponsorship deal with Toyota, and two loaner Tundras were part of the deal.

Because the company had nothing invested in the trucks, they got beaten like borrowed mules. They saw dozens of drivers, most of whom conducted "waddle" tests.* Mostly short hops, some 2000-mile drives, a little light towing, no heavy hauling.

I left eighteen months after we got the trucks, and nothing had broken (or hinted that it was about to break) at that point. That may not testify to the current design's durability, but color me impressed.

I'm a Dodge guy myself...

*"Waddle" she do?;)

SHIVAN
11-19-07, 16:21
cliffy109 on TOS works for a Toyota dealership in Springfield, VA.

He also has one of the new Tundras. He might be able to give you the skinny on problems, features, stock levels at certain dealers, etc.....

Might want to see if you can touch base with him.

Dport
11-19-07, 16:23
www.toyotanation.com if you want to hear from the "Toyo can do no wrong" camp.

www.tundrasolutions.com if you want to hear that the Tundra is falling off it's axles.

We have a car tech guy on Saturday afternoon radio here (http://www.goss-garage.com/index.php). He has said that Toyota has been suffering from some QC issues as of late, but he generally praises their products. He advises callers to check out the tech bulletins for whatever car they are about to buy. If I remember correctly, the bulletins can be had for a small fee.

SHIVAN
11-19-07, 16:24
Very nice for people who don't use trucks like trucks. When my F150 dies, I will buy one.

For their first true American full size, they are quite a bit ahead of the curve. They are not quite fully "featured" like, or built just like, the Ford's and Chevy's...but they'll get there.

Likely in a quick minute too....:p

Patrick Aherne
11-19-07, 17:01
For their first true American full size, they are quite a bit ahead of the curve. They are not quite fully "featured" like, or built just like, the Ford's and Chevy's...but they'll get there.

Likely in a quick minute too....:p

I think the T100 was their first attempt and it sucked. The difference between Toyota dn the Big 3 + Nissan, is that if there is a problem with their vehicle, they admit it and fix it. Big 3 will know there's a problem and will do the math to see if a recall costs more than the legal fees and projected payouts if they deny there's a problem. Toyota is far more honest in this regard.

dubb-1
11-19-07, 17:06
Pat, that is part of the reason why so many Toyota owners are "lifers".

Dport
11-19-07, 17:09
I think the T100 was their first attempt and it sucked.

The only complaint I've heard about the T100 was it wasn't a true full-size.

boatclyde
11-19-07, 17:51
toyota lifer here
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd92/boatclyde/DSCN0169.jpg

SHIVAN
11-19-07, 18:24
I think the T100 was their first attempt and it sucked.

Note the words I chose...I know the history. ;)

This is their first true American full size truck, not a 7/8th's truck. It's damn good for their first go at it, I think.

They will make it better. They will do it in a lot shorter timespan than it took Chevy, Ford and Dodge to get where they are now. Bet on it.

Voodoochild
11-19-07, 18:33
05 taco owner here looking at maybe trading up to an 07 or 08 after winter. Yota's are plain out good vehicles that last hell my dads 91 truck has seen abuse from myself and my brother. A few off road mud baths and broke u joints on drive shaft that we still drove for a few hundred miles and still drove fine.

Honestly change the oil and PM them like you should and they will last forever. I would look at a 4 door Taco before a Tundra plenty of room and plenty of power.

cohiba
11-19-07, 18:33
Grant,

I got to borrow my electrician's Tundra that was set up just like you wanted with tons of extra bling. Nice of him to loan it to me, especially since I felt like I paid for it anyway. ;)

Very comfortable, very well made but good Lord the motor. Sounds and feels like they put one of their NASCAR engines under the hood. I believe his sticker was around 44k. :eek:

Toyota has had documented quality issues lately. Getting too big too fast and a slavish devotion to making Lexus perfect (still have yours? Mine's just about ready for trade in time)

I would love to buy American anything nowadays and here is where you can. You owe it to yourself to try the Chevy Silverado. I got a short ride in my gunsmith's the other day (ANOTHER truck I financed) and I liked it better than the Toyota. Excellent interior, mega motor (6.0) and great resale value.

C4IGrant
11-19-07, 18:41
I think the T100 was their first attempt and it sucked. The difference between Toyota dn the Big 3 + Nissan, is that if there is a problem with their vehicle, they admit it and fix it. Big 3 will know there's a problem and will do the math to see if a recall costs more than the legal fees and projected payouts if they deny there's a problem. Toyota is far more honest in this regard.

Agree. I have been a Toyota fan (own a Lexus) for several years now.

C4

C4IGrant
11-19-07, 18:47
Grant,

I got to borrow my electrician's Tundra that was set up just like you wanted with tons of extra bling. Nice of him to loan it to me, especially since I felt like I paid for it anyway. ;)

Very comfortable, very well made but good Lord the motor. Sounds and feels like they put one of their NASCAR engines under the hood. I believe his sticker was around 44k. :eek:

Toyota has had documented quality issues lately. Getting too big too fast and a slavish devotion to making Lexus perfect (still have yours? Mine's just about ready for trade in time)

I would love to buy American anything nowadays and here is where you can. You owe it to yourself to try the Chevy Silverado. I got a short ride in my gunsmith's the other day (ANOTHER truck I financed) and I liked it better than the Toyota. Excellent interior, mega motor (6.0) and great resale value.

Thanks for the input. I have too many relatives with American cars that don't run or develop major issues within the first year so they are basically off the list.

I still have my Lexus and who do you think is funding this new Toyota??? :D

C4

Alpha Sierra
11-19-07, 18:52
2009 will be a very interesting year for truck (and car) buyers. Lots of mfgs will unveil their light duty car and truck (1/2 ton) turbodiesels that year.

I am already saving up for the 09 Accord 2.2 TDdi. My 01 Dakota 4.7 will still be around, but will be used only when necessary as it is a fuel HOG.

GM is the furthest ahead with turbodiesel development for 1/2 ton trucks and Dodge/Cummins is not far behind. The new GM 4.5 liter V8 TD will be called a Duramax but will not share anything else with the current, Isuzu-designed HD Duramax. The 4.5 is a GM in-house design.

Do not bring up the 80s Oldsmobile diesel fiasco, this ain't the same thing. Not even close. GM has finally broken the barriers that have prevented it from flexing its true muscle, as it has finally broken the isolation between US and GM Europe engineering. The General is not to be underestimated.

Patrick Aherne
11-19-07, 19:17
I still have my Lexus and who do you think is funding this new Toyota??? :D

C4

:D That is the funniest thing I have seen on the internet in a long time.

Trim2L
11-19-07, 19:52

There is a lot of truth to this, I looked at "full size" Toyota a few months ago with a bent frame (the cab was touching the bed) caused by too much weight in the bed.

If you want a full size truck, buy a full size truck. If you want something a little larger than a Tacoma but have no intention of real full-size truck use, the Toyota is for you.

rayray
11-19-07, 20:51
My dad has an 06 Tundra, it barely pulls the trailer i pull with my Dodge Ram 2500. And the tundra isnt that good on gas. I even get more pulling power out of my 1968 Power Wagon, and it needs a new tranny. My dad is going to trade it in. They sure look good though.

Rmplstlskn
11-19-07, 21:59
Oh' what a feeling... Toyota! Nuf said...

Happy FJ Cruiser owner
Rmpl

Alpha Sierra
11-20-07, 07:39
My dad has an 06 Tundra, it barely pulls the trailer i pull with my Dodge Ram 2500.

It shouldn't be a revelation that a not-quite-a-1/2-ton truck can't pull as much as a 3/4 ton........

sonrider657
11-20-07, 07:51
Why is it that the same people that bash foreign-made gun products on this forum are singing the praises of Toyota trucks?

Please don't say that they are "made in USA" - that is a weak and ignorant argument. They may be assembled in America but they are built with mostly foreign parts, made with foreign tooling, from foreign suppliers, and all of the profits go to Japan.

Anyone who tours the Camry plant in Georgetown, Kentucky is shamelessly told how the first Toyota's were complete copies of 1950's era Chevy's - "the parts were interchangeable" they boast. People on this site freak out when foreign companies rip-off American gun accessory designs (and rightfully so) but think that there is nothing wrong with buying a ripped-off truck. :(

rob_s
11-20-07, 07:53
Why is it that the same people that bash foreign-made gun products on this forum are singing the praises of Toyota trucks?

Please don't say that they are "made in USA" - that is a weak and ignorant argument. They may be assembled in America but they are built with mostly foreign parts, made with foreign tooling, from foreign suppliers, and all of the profits go to Japan.

Anyone who tours the Camry plant in Georgetown, Kentucky is shamelessly told how the first Toyota's were complete copies of 1950's era Chevy's - "the parts were interchangeable" they boast. People on this site freak out when foreign companies rip-off American gun accessory designs (and rightfully so) but think that there is nothing wrong with buying a ripped-off truck. :(

What are you talking about?

People on this forum don't like when Chinese companies make duplicate copies of firearms accessories from sub-standard materials and try to pass them off as the real thing.

What on earth does this have to do with buying a Toyota Tundra because it's a better city truck than any of the domestics?

C4IGrant
11-20-07, 08:13

Here is how I look at it. The US made Toyota/Honda vehicles give the following things to the US economy:

1. Blue collar jobs.
2. Parts made in the US (yes some Honda's and Toyota's are considered by the US Govt as a domestic product).
3. Corporate taxes are paid to the US Govt.

Blue collar jobs are much more important to me than white color jobs. Yes, some profit does go back to Japan, but a lot of it stays right here in the USA.

Or you could look at it another way, some US auto manufacturers have parts made in Mexico and then the vehicles are assembled in Canada. Yes the "corporate" office is in the US, but that doesn't help any blue collar jobs. ;)

C4

BravoCompanyUSA
11-20-07, 08:21
Got an 2006 Tundra. It is not quite a full size truck, but more than enough for what I need. (gas mileage sucks)
I got the regular SR5, but I should have got the limited.

The new 2007 bigger and better. I would own one in a minute.

rob_s
11-20-07, 08:25
I got the regular SR5, but I should have got the limited.

How come? I'm avoiding the limited like the plague, largely because I don't want the leather seats. I want a truck to be a truck, and I want a truck that I don't have to be worried about. My intention is to put neoprene seat covers on the cloth seats and maybe vacuum it once a year.

My '01 F150 I had got washed 3 times in the 5 years I owned it, and once was an accident.

boatclyde
11-20-07, 08:26
Toyota replaced (at no cost to me) the V6 in my 3rd owner, run hard put away wet, 91 4X4 at 159,000 miles, due to a leaking head gasket issue.

159,000 miles.
out of warranty for 120,000 miles.

thats why i smack my lips when i drink the toyota kool aid

C4IGrant
11-20-07, 08:29
How come? I'm avoiding the limited like the plague, largely because I don't want the leather seats. I want a truck to be a truck, and I want a truck that I don't have to be worried about. My intention is to put neoprene seat covers on the cloth seats and maybe vacuum it once a year.

My '01 F150 I had got washed 3 times in the 5 years I owned it, and once was an accident.

Have you ever owned a vehicle with leather seats? I have two kids and would NEVER own a vehicle with cloth seats.

C4

rob_s
11-20-07, 08:31
Have you ever owned a vehicle with leather seats? I have two kids and would NEVER own a vehicle with cloth seats.

C4

GTO had 'em, and the 'Lade has 'em. I hate 'em. All I do is worry about the damn seats all the time.

C4IGrant
11-20-07, 08:38
GTO had 'em, and the 'Lade has 'em. I hate 'em. All I do is worry about the damn seats all the time.

I would never own a vehicle without leather as it wipes clean. Cloth absorbs whatever is put on them.

C4

rob_s
11-20-07, 08:41
I would never own a vehicle without leather as it wipes clean. Cloth absorbs whatever is put on them.

C4

I worry more about rips than stains. I don't want to have to worry about paying to have leather seats replaced. I intend to take this truck hunting, to training classes, etc. and to use it to haul match supplies. I don't want to have to worry about the expensive leather seats ripping. Cloth rips and I can repair it cheaply. Not to mention, blood doesn't just "wipe clean" off of leather. :eek:

C4IGrant
11-20-07, 08:47
I worry more about rips than stains. I don't want to have to worry about paying to have leather seats replaced. I intend to take this truck hunting, to training classes, etc. and to use it to haul match supplies. I don't want to have to worry about the expensive leather seats ripping. Cloth rips and I can repair it cheaply. Not to mention, blood doesn't just "wipe clean" off of leather. :eek:

I have never been able to rip or damage leather seats. Some of examples of what my lever seats have been through:

Training classes:

Wife incidents:

Left moofroof open during a 2 hour long down poor.
Spilt a full smoothie on the seat.
Spilt sodas on the seats.

Children incidents:

18month old puking on the seats.
3yr old dropping every type of food/juice known to man on the seats.

Dog Incidents:

English Springer getting car sick multiple times on the seats.

C4

LOKNLOD
11-20-07, 08:50
Anyone who tours the Camry plant in Georgetown, Kentucky is shamelessly told how the first Toyota's were complete copies of 1950's era Chevy's - "the parts were interchangeable" they boast.

And now the latest malibu ads are all about "look out, Camry!"

Here is how I look at it. The US made Toyota/Honda vehicles give the following things to the US economy:

Grant gets it. Much better to support the US economy with jobs and facilities here than in Mexico.

Although, really my only complaint about Toyota would be that their quality has dropped since they moved more production here. That's a shame. Also their falling into Americanized marketing and design and getting away from a lot of the simple, rugged nature that always made them so great (to me). It seems to be working for them in the marketplace though, so obviously my opinion is in the minority.

I read an article a while back that said $1000-$1500 of every new GM truck sold went straight to health care costs of retired UAW workers. The big three's woes come from their own employees bankrupting them through their entitlement mentality. Combine that with putting out a lot of lame models and cars with bad reputations for quality over the years, and now they've got troubles and nobody's suprised. Architects of their own demise. A union autoworker complaining about losing jobs overseas is like a pack of cigarettes complaining about lung cancer.

BravoCompanyUSA
11-20-07, 09:24

I really don't use the "truck" part of my truck very often. I just have the bed in case I need to haul something for this business. Magazines, barrels, misc parts, etc...
I almost could have gotten away with a mid size SUV for my purposes.
And since the Tundra is my only vehicle (bike not included), I wouldn't have minded a bit of extra luxuary.

cohiba
11-20-07, 09:29

C4

AGREED!!!! Manufactuers spend millions on crash tests, emissions, long term durability. You want to test a car's interior? Get a series of two year olds to sit in it. It's freaking biological warfare contained in a small battlefield. Formula, milk and other unmentionables.

My past dozen cars have all had leather and never so much as a small tear which is remarkable given how many times my holstered 1911 and/or pocketed Strider clip have been run across the seats. If I can't get leather I will NEVER buy the vehicle.

rob_s
11-20-07, 09:35
I really don't use the "truck" part of my truck very often. I just have the bed in case I need to haul something for this business. Magazines, barrels, misc parts, etc...
I almost could have gotten away with a mid size SUV for my purposes.
And since the Tundra is my only vehicle (bike not included), I wouldn't have minded a bit of extra luxuary.

Gotcha, makes sense.

C4IGrant
11-20-07, 09:39
AGREED!!!! Manufactuers spend millions on crash tests, emissions, long term durability. You want to test a car's interior? Get a series of two year olds to sit in it. It's freaking biological warfare contained in a small battlefield. Formula, milk and other unmentionables.

My past dozen cars have all had leather and never so much as a small tear which is remarkable given how many times my holstered 1911 and/or pocketed Strider clip have been run across the seats. If I can't get leather I will NEVER buy the vehicle.

Parents of small children know what's up. :D

Now go and buy something from our website so I can afford to buy this truck! :eek:

C4

rob_s
11-20-07, 09:42
The only kid that'll be in mine is 10 and growing (other than the adult children I often find in my vehicles). I also have a strict no food/drink in the vehicle rule. Wanna eat and drink in the car? Take mom's car! :D

I guess I've just had good luck with the cloth, know that blood will stain the leather just as much as cloth and cost way more to replace, and don't want to pony up for the extra cost of the leather.

SHIVAN
11-20-07, 10:03
I absolutely love this truck and will replace it with another Silverado when I break this one.

Sellout. :D

Trim2L
11-20-07, 10:09
I have never been able to rip or damage leather seats. Some of examples of what my lever seats have been through:

Training classes:

Wife incidents:

Left moofroof open during a 2 hour long down poor.
Spilt a full smoothie on the seat.
Spilt sodas on the seats.

Children incidents:

18month old puking on the seats.
3yr old dropping every type of food/juice known to man on the seats.

Dog Incidents:

English Springer getting car sick multiple times on the seats.

C4

I am with you. Leather is totally where it is at. My kids do the same thing, with clothe it would have been a nightmare, with leather it is a job for only a wet a rag. Heated seats also work a lot better with leather.

My last truck had Leather, my current truck has leather, and my next vehicle will have leather.

Trim2L
11-20-07, 10:11

The large US auto manufacturers farmed a lot of their production to Mexico and Canada, where is their loyalty?

GlockWRX
11-20-07, 10:16
Ahhhhh Trucks.

I've spent most of a year researching the purchase of a truck (that's why I haven't spent much time here). I eventually landed a GMC 1 ton diesel, but that is probably more truck than you are looking for.

Re: American vs Foreign....
Ford probably makes the most 'American' trucks out there. Most of the components and assembly is done here in the states. Corporate HQ is US based.

Chevy/GMC is also pretty domestic, though not entirely. Some of their full size trucks are assembled in Canada, although I think all of the crew cabs are built here in the states. At least mine was. Corporate HQ is in the US.

Dodge was actually the least domestic until a few months ago. Built in Mexico for the benefit of a foreign company (Daimler). It's back to US based, but still built in Mexico.

Know next to nothing about the Titan, as I didn't research them.

The Toyota Tundra actually benefits quite a few Americans, as has already been pointed out. Designed in California (do they still count as Americans....j/k) and built in San Antonio. Toyota Galactic HQ is in Japan.

Re: The actual trucks (IMO)
The Tundra is a nice rig for sure. The engine/tranny combo is the strongest out there in the half-ton segment (with the exception of the GMC Denali). The payload capacity is not as high as others, but it doesn't sound like that is the most important thing to you (meaning Grant). The CrewMax is pretty much the biggest thing going, even bigger than the Dodge MegaCab. As long as you remember it's a 1/2 ton, you should be fine. When I was researching the different trucks, I was amazed at how many people assumed the Tundra had the same capability as a 3/4 or 1 ton. It doesn't, no matter how many fancy commercials they make. The only knock I have against the CrewMax is the bed is tiny, less than 6 ft (I think 5.5). If you are using it for trucky things that's a bit of a liability. But if you don't haul lumber or an ATV, it should be fine.

The Ram has a decent gas engine and probably the best diesel engine. The rest of the truck leaves something to be desired. The Quad cab is a bit too tight for adults, but the MegaCab has tons of room.

Ford makes some of the best trucks around. I think they have the best interiors out there, even better than the Tundra and my GMC. The 5.4L motor is just not up to snuff IMO though. You can get the V10 in the 3/4 and 1 tons, which is an awesome motor, but will slurp dead dinosaurs so fast it will make your head spin. The 6.4L diesel is a good motor by most accounts, but many people (including me) are still trying to get over the many problems that the previous diesel had.

The GM trucks (Silverado and Sierra) are very nice trucks. They ride much smoother than most, and have good powertrains. I got the Duramax/Allison combo which is amazing. If you wanted the 1/2 ton gas motor, I would look at the 3/4 ton. It has a more durable 6spd vs the 4spd in the 1/2 ton. The interiors are very nice, and include all of the chick stuff like leather, heated seats and remote start. You might look at the GMC Denali, it's a nice truck with a lot of luxury features.

Re: Diesel vs Gas...
Diesel engines are much more powerful and fuel efficient. I can get close to 20mpg on the highway in my Duramx (which weighs about 7200 lbs.) City driving is a lot less. All of the current diesels make at least 350hp and 650lb-ft of torque. They can move loads a gas motor can only dream of. But if your idea of a heavy load is an M4 with a light on it and a couple cases of ammo, it's overkill (or just enough kill depending on how you look at it....)
Diesel fluctuates in price, right now it's more than premimum fuel, summer time it's less than regular. On average I'd say it's about 25 cents more. The engines themselves are much more expensive, at least $6000-$8000. You will probably not make that back in fuel savings unless you drive a lot. However, GM has announced a 'pocket' 4.5L Duramax that is supposed to get 29mpg, and fit in a 1/2 ton truck. That could be an intriguing option.

Re: Payload....
You might be suprised here. If you add up the weight of your typical passengers, and then subtract that from your available payload, you might be surprised at how little your truck can carry. I budget about 500lbs for me, my wife, two kids, and the associated crap that goes with us everywhere (car and booster seats, diaper bag, roadside kit, etc.). I think the CrewMax has a capacity around 1500 lbs.

Re: 1/2 ton vs 3/4 and 1 tons....
Obviously, I went for the bigger truck because I tow an RV and carry a bunch of crap in the back. If you aren't towing, a 1/2 ton is fine. If you plan on towing or carrying a heavy load (1500lbs and up), a larger truck may be in order due to the better brakes and stronger frame and suspension. Another thing to consider is tax liability. I don't know the exact rules, but I think a truck over a certain Gross Vehicle Weight Rating can be purchased by a business as a tax deductible expense. Both of my brother-in-laws bought their trucks through their business. Maybe the Tundra qualifies?

Re: Things I like trucks to have...
Backup sensors: I originally thought these were for drunks and graybeards that don't pay attention to what they are doing. But I love these things. It's great for tight parking lots and night time. The Tundra has them on the front which is nice. If you get a shell on the back, I would definately look into them.

Seats: I originally wanted a bench seat with manual adjusters. It's a truck right? But the more I thought about it, the more I wanted the chick seats. Long road trips can be agony in bad seats, so the power adjustable seats are great. My longest trip in my GMC is about 10 hrs, and no saddle sores. I also like them heated. It's great for a tight back or a cold morning. Leather is also good for durability and ease of cleaning. My back seats are already covered in junk from my kids, but it just wipes off. It's easier to clean the seats than the kids.

Remote start: This is another handy feature. If you have auto climate control you can start the truck and let it heat or cool the vehicle before you get in.

Tow package: Obviously I wanted a tow package because I tow things. But even if you don't tow, there are things that might prove handy, like a rear swaybar and auxiliary transmission cooler. And you never know, you could end up with a trailer some day.

4wd: I know guys live without it, but in snow and mud it can be a life saver.

Bed liners: The plastic ones aren't bad, but I really like the spray in liners like Line-X. They keep stuff from sliding around, and they don't allow moisture under neath to corrode. Take the plastic cover off a truck after 5 years and see what the bed looks like.

Good luck!

Nathan_Bell
11-20-07, 10:16
Come on Grant, get a real fullsized truck :p

On topic. The Tundra I checked out while bored a few months ago had almost enough cab room for me. Not as much head room as my current vehicle, but pretty close in the leg room.

sonrider657
11-20-07, 10:22
If you want to buy Japanese trucks, you are free to do so but please don't try to justify your purchase by thinking that it benefits the U.S. economy.

The financial benefit of a domestic car or truck being sold is several times greater than a foreign make, even if it is assembled here.

When you buy a GM, Ford, or Chyrsler product, not only do you employ blue collar workers, you also employ white collar workers (which are better paying jobs that contribute more to the tax base and economy). The trickle-down effect then leads to supporting American toolmakers, American machinery manufacturers, and other American suppliers. And at the end of the day, the profits stay here.

Take a tour of a Japanese trans-plant and you will see that almost every machine, tool, and supply comes from overseas (even the bumpcaps worn in Toyotas Georgetown plant are from Japan). You will also see that the vast majority of upper level management is from Japan (24 of the 25 Toyota Board Members are Japanese).

Buy what you want but please don't make stupid arguments that your Toyota benefits the American economy.

rob_s
11-20-07, 10:29
If you want to buy Japanese trucks, you are free to do so but please don't try to justify your purchase by thinking that it benefits the U.S. economy.

The financial benefit of a domestic car or truck being sold is several times greater than a foreign make, even if it is assembled here.

When you buy a GM, Ford, or Chyrsler product, not only do you employ blue collar workers, you also employ white collar workers (which are better paying jobs that contribute more to the tax base and economy). The trickle-down effect then leads to supporting American toolmakers, American machinery manufacturers, and other American suppliers. And at the end of the day, the profits stay here.

Take a tour of a Japanese trans-plant and you will see that almost every machine, tool, and supply comes from overseas (even the bumpcaps worn in Toyotas Georgetown plant are from Japan). You will also see that the vast majority of upper level management is from Japan (24 of the 25 Toyota Board Members are Japanese).

Buy what you want but please don't make stupid arguments that your Toyota benefits the American economy.
You must be a union guy. :eek:

Robb Jensen
11-20-07, 10:35

I kinda thought that too. In my previous job I was a Teamster.

Jeff_M
11-20-07, 10:38
Grant,

I have an '05 Tundra Double Cab with about 40K miles.

It is used for hauling kids, dogs, and guns mostly. I don't tow anything.

The rear seat is very comfortable and spacious. I have had 4 adults and kid in the truck for multiple 4+ hour road trips.

For my purposes the Crewmax would probably be even better. The larger cab and shorter bed would be nice. However, I probably have another 8 or 10 years before I will be ready to replace it.

You will be very happy if you go with the Tundra.

sonrider657
11-20-07, 10:38

No, actually I have never been a union member. I have just seen town after town in America devastated by the eroding U.S. Auto Industry and the American industries which have supported it. The few jobs generated by the trans-plants do not even come close to making up for it.

rob_s
11-20-07, 10:41
No, actually I have never been a union member. I have just seen town after town in America devastated by the eroding U.S. Auto Industry and the American industries which have supported it. The few jobs generated by the trans-plants do not even come close to making up for it.

I don't disagree with you, but even if every single member of m4carbine.net went out and bought a Tundra tomorrow it wouldn't affect it one way or the other.

It's a global market now, like it or not. Adapt or die.

Nathan_Bell
11-20-07, 10:58

2nd highest corporate taxes, 3rd most expensive regulatory environment, and local, state and fed governments who see any new industry in their AO as a mark to fleece. I wonder why the US mfgs jobs are going away.

I could, and have written papers on this, but Grant buying a Tundra, my mother buying an ML, the guy up the street buying a Lexus are not the problem.

ErnieB
11-20-07, 11:01
I recently sold my '01 Tundra and bought an '06 TRD Sport Tacoma Quad Cab long bed 4x4 from a friend that is moving overseas. I love Toyota's. My girlfriend had a '86 extra cab 4x4 that she bought with 100,000 miles on it and when she sold it had over 320,000 miles! The head had been redone twice in its lifetime. It just wouldn't die and became a novelty to see how long it would last. She sold it for $2000!!

Impact
11-20-07, 11:15
I myself just bought a Nissan Pathfinder SUV with the new V8 5.6L ( same engine than Titan and Armada)...I'm very happy with it. I'm getting slightly over 20mpg on freeway. Trunk hold a lot of stuff ! and you even have 2 optional seats to haul up to 7 people.
Not what you are looking for but just sharing the experience.

how about the Titan ? it's a great truck too.

C4IGrant
11-20-07, 11:26

Right back at ya! Don't buy an American auto believing that you are benefiting the US economy either. ;)

Disagree. Companies profits are eaten up with labor, taxes, health care etc. All of which stays in the US.

The Japanese companies have tons of white collar workers in the US as well. You cannot run the plants like they do without them. Japanese companies also employe US machinery manufacturers and suppliers. Let's not forget that US auto makers ALSO employee mexican manufacturers.

For instance, I have a friend that is an engineer with Honda.

Maybe their machinery is better? Something has to account for the high quality in Japanese cars than US cars. If so, I can live with that.

Same goes for you. Don't be so blind to think that just because the corporation is in the US that all the profits are going to US workers.

C4

C4IGrant
11-20-07, 11:29

Unions. Yeah, there is another good idea huh. :rolleyes:

C4

C4IGrant
11-20-07, 11:31

There is a reason for the US auto industry losing their strong hold. It is called quality and as a GENERAL rule, they cannot compete with Japanese auto's.

Unions are also sucking them dry.

More and more foreign automakers are building plants in the US. Who do they employee to do the work? That's right, US workers. This is of course very good for the US Economy.

C4

SHIVAN
11-20-07, 11:49
Profits of publicly owned companies go to the shareholders. All over the world.

Who do you think is employed at the US Toyota plants?? Martians? Austrailians? They are American workers. American engineers. American designers. American QC/QA.

Whose coffers does Toyota's American plants line at the state and local level? Does that tax money get sent to Japan after Tennessee or Kentucky takes a cut? Of course not. That money goes, AND STAYS, in the state and local coffers.

Taxes from the wages paid to the American workers at Toyota plants in the US go to the US Federal government, and to their states and localities.

This is not a difficult equation to figure out.

Lastly, who is working in the Toyota dealerships in every state of this country?? Again, it must be an all Japanese workforce - right?

Wrong.

I bought my Toyota Tacoma from a white dude from California who transplanted to Virginia and worked for another white dude from America who both have houses, mortgages and tax payments going to American companies and governments.

While GM, Dodge and Ford are cutting jobs and plants, Toyota and Lexus are adding jobs and plants. Keeping Americans, formerly of the UAW, employed and fed.

It's not a tough concept to grasp.

DrMark
11-20-07, 12:23
What are you talking about?

People on this forum don't like when Chinese companies make duplicate copies of firearms accessories from sub-standard materials and try to pass them off as the real thing.

What on earth does this have to do with buying a Toyota Tundra because it's a better city truck than any of the domestics?

Right.

Many on this forum also don't like supporting Communist China.

It's not like Toyotas are made in China, North Korea, Vietnam, or Syria.

BravoCompanyUSA
11-20-07, 12:45
Toyota Motor Company is a publically held company traded on the NYSE (as TM).

Profits go to stockholders.

k9dpd
11-20-07, 21:40
I have an FJ now and love it, but just for fun I built a crewmax and with all I wanted it was 50K, so I will stick to my FJ until I hit the lottery, ;)

C4IGrant
11-29-07, 18:15
Well the deal is done! Bought a 2007 Limited CrewMax with 4wd, Moonroof and 20" wheels.

Having never owned a truck before, all I can say is that this truck rides nicer than my lexus, is faster and is more comfortable. Am very impressed with it to say the least.

I will get some pics up shortly.

C4

LOKNLOD
11-29-07, 19:00
Well the deal is done! Bought a 2007 Limited CrewMax with 4wd, Moonroof and 20" wheels.
C4

Ya bastid! That's a nice ride...a bit plush for my tastes but I'm just jealous! That's a lot of Pmags, Aimpoints, and Larue mounts ;)

I've been shopping for a truck since late '04. Unfortunately no amount of research, loan calculators, and comparison spreadsheets will make a truck payment come out of my budget. My '94 flatbed Yota will have to keep gettin' 'er done for now.

Looking forward to pics!

KintlaLake
11-29-07, 19:00
Congrats, Grant!

Profits go to stockholders.

Profits? Or maybe dividends? ;)

Nathan_Bell
11-29-07, 19:36

Having never owned a truck before, all I can say is that this truck rides nicer than my lexus, is faster and is more comfortable. Am very impressed with it to say the least.

I will get some pics up shortly.

C4

Dude, you were scary enough to ride with in the Lexus, you did not need anything faster

N.Y.45 ACP
11-29-07, 20:43
Grant,

Congratulations on the new truck ; it sounds great.

Everyone should own a nice truck!!

BravoCompanyUSA
11-29-07, 20:59
Congrats, Grant!

Profits? Or maybe dividends? ;)

Yes sir, you are correct ;-)

G,
very cool.
lets see some pics!!

C4IGrant
11-30-07, 08:58
Dude, you were scary enough to ride with in the Lexus, you did not need anything faster

LOL, I'm not that bad. I will say that it is amazing to me that a truck this size will do 0-60 in 6.3 seconds! Good thing that the local Sheriff owes me some favors! :D

C4

C4IGrant
11-30-07, 09:00
Grant,

Congratulations on the new truck ; it sounds great.

Everyone should own a nice truck!!

Thanks. This is our first truck so I am going to enjoy it.

C4

Bulldog1967
11-30-07, 09:25
WORTHLESS W/O PICS!

BTW, I've been in Panama all week now, and the Toyota Forreunner and Hilux Diesels here are the cats ass.....did someone say that the manufacturers are actually considering TURBO DEISELS in 09? Does that include Toyota? :confused:

KintlaLake
11-30-07, 09:33
I will say that it is amazing to me that a truck this size will do 0-60 in 6.3 seconds!

Ain't it great? :cool: My daily driver is a 4,200-pound station wagon that does 0-60 in 5.7, and I gotta warn you, the permanent grin starts to hurt after a while. :D

C4IGrant
11-30-07, 09:50
WORTHLESS W/O PICS!

BTW, I've been in Panama all week now, and the Toyota Forreunner and Hilux Diesels here are the cats ass.....did someone say that the manufacturers are actually considering TURBO DEISELS in 09? Does that include Toyota? :confused:

Panama huh. Spent about 2 years there when I was in the Navy. Good times. :D

C4

JG1911
11-30-07, 16:33
Damn nice truck, I know a few people who own them and they are happy as can be. I drove one when my 4Runner was being serviced and I was super impressed with the 5.7l, how the truck drove, and the interior... I'm sort of eehhhh on the exterior. I've been real, real tempted to buy one, but there is a rumor that the 4Runner gets a revamp for 2009 and may get the 5.7l :D

Funny thing: Many are reporting better MPG with the 5.7l than with the 4.7l... In fact one of my friends gets better MPG than I do with my 4.7l 4Runner.

I suppose I'm a real dirt bag for buying the 4Runner, because they are 100% made in Japan. A friend just bought a Ford (not truck) and the thing is like 60% made in Mexico.

Whatever QC issues the Tundra is having, Toyota is pretty good (but slow) about fixing them. I had the 2nd 4thGen 4Runner in town and have had zero problems in 100k.

Get a True Flow airfilter when they start making one for your motor, 100 times better quality than the OEM and K&N, I actually noticed a performance and MPG difference.

C4IGrant
11-30-07, 16:46
Damn nice truck, I know a few people who own them and they are happy as can be. I drove one when my 4Runner was being serviced and I was super impressed with the 5.7l, how the truck drove, and the interior... I'm sort of eehhhh on the exterior. I've been real, real tempted to buy one, but there is a rumor that the 4Runner gets a revamp for 2009 and may get the 5.7l :D

Funny thing: Many are reporting better MPG with the 5.7l than with the 4.7l... In fact one of my friends gets better MPG than I do with my 4.7l 4Runner.

I suppose I'm a real dirt bag for buying the 4Runner, because they are 100% made in Japan. A friend just bought a Ford (not truck) and the thing is like 60% made in Mexico.

Whatever QC issues the Tundra is having, Toyota is pretty good (but slow) about fixing them. I had the 2nd 4thGen 4Runner in town and have had zero problems in 100k.

Get a True Flow airfilter when they start making one for your motor, 100 times better quality than the OEM and K&N, I actually noticed a performance and MPG difference.

Thanks for the info.

C4

texasyid
12-02-07, 16:52
I looked at a Tacoma the other day. ( I know not a Tundra) and it said on the sticker that the final assembly point was Tiajuana, Mexico.
I figure I am supporting enough mexican nationals already with my tax dollars.
I don't have anything against mexicans just feel it is Calderons job to support them not mine. I walked.

C4IGrant
12-02-07, 17:17
I looked at a Tacoma the other day. ( I know not a Tundra) and it said on the sticker that the final assembly point was Tiajuana, Mexico.
I figure I am supporting enough mexican nationals already with my tax dollars.
I don't have anything against mexicans just feel it is Calderons job to support them not mine. I walked.

Mine says Princeton, IN. :D I guess I should have walked on it since it wasn't made in my state of Ohio.

I would suggest that you do not look at the stickers on a lot of "US made cars" as you will either be supporting those crazy Canadians or the Mexicans that actually have jobs and are not trying to come into this country illegally.

C4

Alpha Sierra
12-02-07, 18:27
Working in Ohio's Japanese auto industry I can safely say that most of what you claim is false bullshit.

Voodoochild
12-02-07, 18:29
Grant I hate to do this to you buddy but "THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS"

:D

texasyid
12-02-07, 18:49
"Mine says Princeton, IN. I guess I should have walked on it since it wasn't made in my state of Ohio.
I would suggest that you do not look at the stickers on a lot of "US made cars" as you will either be supporting those crazy Canadians or the Mexicans that actually have jobs and are not trying to come into this country illegally."

Who says they do not come to this country illegally? They are right across the border. (they come here for free medical care all the time) And what does something made in one state have to do with another as far as criminals entering this country illegally?(which is what they are). Please come and visit here you are more than welcome and I will show you some things. You are up there in Princeton and I am down here right in the thick of things as far as illegals go.
I am not trying to make an enemy or disrespect you in any way.

C4IGrant
12-02-07, 19:09
."

Who says they do not come to this country illegally? They are right across the border. (they come here for free medical care all the time) And what does something made in one state have to do with another as far as criminals entering this country illegally?(which is what they are). Please come and visit here you are more than welcome and I will show you some things. You are up there in Princeton and I am down here right in the thick of things as far as illegals go.
I am not trying to make an enemy or disrespect you in any way.

I don't think you read what I wrote correctly.

First, I was talking about US car manufacturers having US cars assembled in Mexico by workers in plants (in Mexico). Generally speaking, people with good paying jobs (in their country) are not generally trying to come accross the border illegally.

Secondly, the comment that I shouldn't have bought my Tundra because it wasn't made in Ohio was a joke.

Thirdly, I am not in Indiana. I am in Ohio.

C4

texasyid
12-02-07, 19:51
I would be willing to bet the Toyota worker in Mexico is not making what the US Toyota worker is making in the US. In Mexico you have to pay for your medical care up front. Why not take a cab ride or walk across the border and get it for free at the emergency room. (happens all the time)

Yes you were making a joke.

Yes you live in Ohio.

What the heck come on down here I will put you up and we can go to the range and you can give me some pointers ( I'm serious) and then we can go to the Texas Roadhouse have a great steak and throw back some cold frosties all on me.

KintlaLake
12-02-07, 20:10

Ditto what Alpha Sierra said -- that's a bear of an argument you don't want to bait. :rolleyes: Read: Don't go there.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled thread...camera on the fritz, Grant? ;)

davemm14
12-03-07, 05:40
Mine says Princeton, IN. :D I guess I should have walked on it since it wasn't made in my state of Ohio.

C4

My brother works on the Tundra line in Princeton. He says "Thanks!" :D

Where are those pics? I'm still trying to decide between the CrewMax and the 4Runner...I know, apple and oranges.

C4IGrant
12-03-07, 09:03
I would be willing to bet the Toyota worker in Mexico is not making what the US Toyota worker is making in the US. In Mexico you have to pay for your medical care up front. Why not take a cab ride or walk across the border and get it for free at the emergency room. (happens all the time)

I am willing to bet that they do not make the same amount, but am willing to bet that they make a much better living than the average Mexican.

Yes you were making a joke.

Yes you live in Ohio.

What the heck come on down here I will put you up and we can go to the range and you can give me some pointers ( I'm serious) and then we can go to the Texas Roadhouse have a great steak and throw back some cold frosties all on me.

Sounds good! When can I come down? :D

C4

C4IGrant
12-03-07, 09:13
Ditto what Alpha Sierra said -- that's a bear of an argument you don't want to bait. :rolleyes: Read: Don't go there.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled thread...camera on the fritz, Grant? ;)

Got pics, but need to up load them.

C4

texasyid
12-03-07, 12:23
Sounds good! When can I come down?

Just e-mail me and we can set it up.

rayray
12-03-07, 20:32
It shouldn't be a revelation that a not-quite-a-1/2-ton truck can't pull as much as a 3/4 ton........

Your right, but we also drag that trailer around with a 1984 Chevrolet 1/2 ton pickup.

LOKNLOD
12-03-07, 22:15
Got pics, but need to up load them.

Grant! Stop arguing about M&Ps and come load the pics of your truck! :D

Or at least come over here and argue about Tundras being better than Fords or something :p

Impact
12-03-07, 23:50
pics pics pics ! :D

C4IGrant
12-04-07, 08:05
Grant! Stop arguing about M&Ps and come load the pics of your truck! :D

Or at least come over here and argue about Tundras being better than Fords or something :p

LOL.

I cannot argue that Truck A is better than Truck B because this is my first truck. :) I am not like most everyone else on the errornet that will choose a side without ever firing (or driving) said item.

C4

rob_s
12-04-07, 09:12
I think I've put off my Tundra purchase for another year. No reason to replace one gas-guzzler (Escalade) with another. Not Until I see what the Dems can do about gas prices. :eek:

jmtgsx
12-04-07, 09:24
... Not Until I see what the Dems can do about gas prices. :eek:

Not holding your breath, I hope. :rolleyes:

C4IGrant
12-04-07, 16:30
Ok, I finally got off my butt and uploaded some pics for you guys.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Toyota%20Tundra/Front.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Toyota%20Tundra/Side.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Toyota%20Tundra/Rear.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Toyota%20Tundra/Inside.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Toyota%20Tundra/Back%20seat.jpg

SHIVAN
12-04-07, 17:13
That's ugly!!! :rolleyes:

You should send it to me immediately to spare yourself the pain of looking that abomination of a truck.

KintlaLake
12-04-07, 17:16
That's one cool truck, Grant...in a New Philly kinda way...:D

You can lose the paper placemats, y'know. Deer whistles behind the grille? ;)

C4IGrant
12-04-07, 17:33
That's ugly!!! :rolleyes:

You should send it to me immediately to spare yourself the pain of looking that abomination of a truck.

Ya I know. I hate it and think it is ugly. Everyone on the road thinks its ugly as well as they all keep pointing and slowing down to look at it. :)

C4

C4IGrant
12-04-07, 17:34
That's one cool truck, Grant...in a New Philly kinda way...:D

All weather floor mats are now in it so the paper placemats are history.

No deer whistles.

Next on the agenda is Line-X and some kind of cap.

C4

Nathan_Bell
12-04-07, 17:48
All weather floor mats are now in it so the paper placemats are history.

No deer whistles.

Next on the agenda is Line-X and some kind of cap.

C4

The man buys a new pickup and the first thing he does is try and turn it into a station wagon

Alpha Sierra
12-04-07, 18:13
Not Until I see what the Dems can do about gas prices. :eek:
They are not coming down, no matter what anyone does or tries.

If you want a big vehicle and don't have unlimited funds for fuel, wait for the 1/2 ton turbodiesels to hit the market as 09s starting late next year.

Alpha Sierra
12-04-07, 18:15

Grant, throw the airbag death warning tag in the trash while you're at it. ;)

Nice truck. That rear seat looks huge. Is it?

SHIVAN
12-04-07, 18:32
Everyone on the road thinks its ugly as well as they all keep pointing and slowing down to look at it. :)

See!!!

I'll even come up and pick it up so you don't have to pay for the gas when I take it off your hands, and dispose of it properly.

LOKNLOD
12-04-07, 18:53
Truck looks great, Grant! Congrats.

The man buys a new pickup and the first thing he does is try and turn it into a station wagon

LOL :D He makes a good point...You know, the new-Tundra-based '08 Sequoia SUV is hitting showrooms soon. Sounds like you should donate the truck to me, and get one of those.

sjc3081
12-04-07, 20:37
It is good idea to rust proof the trucks under carriage. My 05 Tundra is getting some surface rust on the belly. Also pour oil in the open ends of the tail gate cables. And then grease the open ends. Water gets in the cables and rusts them from the inside out.

condition 1
12-05-07, 09:01
Nice color, now just spend more on the wheels than the truck cost, and you be tight... :cool: 4x4/snow/ice you did good, congrats,

Robb Jensen
12-05-07, 09:06
Ok, I finally got off my butt and uploaded some pics for you guys.

C4

Is that a Bel STi Driver radar detector? I have one of those for road trips. Works VERY well.

C4IGrant
12-05-07, 09:19
Grant, throw the airbag death warning tag in the trash while you're at it. ;)

Nice truck. That rear seat looks huge. Is it?

The rear seat is MASSIVE. I positioned the drivers seat (am 6ft) and then had my step father (who is 6'2) get into the back seat. He had at least 4 inches before his knees would touch my seat!

C4

C4IGrant
12-05-07, 09:21
Is that a Bel STi Driver radar detector? I have one of those for road trips. Works VERY well.

No, its an older model Bel. Honestly, I really don't need a radar detector in the county that I live in. All the cops are either customers, friends, or both. ;)

C4

Hootiewho
12-05-07, 09:52
Didn't read the whole post, so this may already be mentioned, but in 09 they are suppose to come out with a diesel tundra. I think it will have an Isuzu diesel motor.

KintlaLake
12-05-07, 14:21
Um...Grant, I don't see the mounts for the plow blade...sure hope you remedied that before this morning... :D

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Toyota%20Tundra/Front.jpg

Half a foot over here in the heart of Buckeye Nation -- schools closed, snow emergency, and just about every sign of TEOTWAWKI except the National Guard. :rolleyes: Gawd.

C4IGrant
12-05-07, 14:28
Um...Grant, I don't see the mounts for the plow blade...sure hope you remedied that before this morning... :D

Half a foot over here in the heart of Buckeye Nation -- schools closed, snow emergency, and just about every sign of TEOTWAWKI except the National Guard. :rolleyes: Gawd.

No plow on the Toyota, but do have a Honda RINCON with a 62" plow and winch. Plowed my entire drive way in 30 minutes. ;)

C4

KintlaLake
12-05-07, 14:46
Plowed my entire drive way in 30 minutes. ;)

Took me 30 minutes, too, this morning...and another 30 minutes this afternoon...200'x10'x4%, with a shovel...didn't think I'd need the blade on the tractor so soon. :rolleyes:

Seems I need either a Tundra, a Rincon or a Farmers Almanac...or half a brain. :D

DrMark
12-05-07, 18:22
http://members.cox.net/drmark/Tundra.bmp

Nice truck, Grant!

GlockWRX
12-05-07, 18:24
Grant,

Nice truck! Love the color. Like my wife says "The truck/gun/ATV is the cheapest part of the whole thing. The accessories are the killer!"

Here are some covers I've been thinking about, and might be worth looking at. I like this one because you can put an ATV on the back (holds up to 1600 lbs) and still have plenty of room underneath for other stuff. They have a side loading ramp that would work well with the short box on the Tundra....
http://www.diamondbackcovers.com/products_atvp.asp

Also, the Truckvault Extreme is another good one that would let you load an ATV or whatever and still have room for storage. Truckvault also has versions meant for under a shell.
http://www.truckvault.com/products/extreme.asp

M4arc
12-05-07, 20:19
Nice truck, Grant!

BBBBBBBWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAA!!!

I think it should GLOCK PERFECTION instead :D

Robb Jensen
12-05-07, 22:11
Nice truck, Grant!

http://members.cox.net/drmark/Tundra.bmp

Damn that's just beat up! :p

VA_Dinger
12-06-07, 12:10

Oh my God, that is funny.

C4IGrant
12-06-07, 12:15
Love me some shrubmaster! :D

No more discounts for your DrMark!

C4

TOrrock
12-06-07, 12:26
Nice truck, Grant!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Funny%20stuff/Tundra.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Funny%20stuff/anim_wow.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Funny%20stuff/icon_lol.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Funny%20stuff/icon_lol.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Funny%20stuff/icon_lol.gif

Al U. 5811
12-07-07, 00:44
I have a 2007 standard cab 4x2 Tundra 5.7L. I live in Minnesota where it's winter about 6 months of the year. I don't go off road at all and figured that I could get along w/o 4x4.

The first real test has been this past week when we have had about 12 inches of snow. The traction control kicks ass. I really don't slip much and cannot kick out the ass end even if I try. I figured it was a sales pitch but I now have no regret with the 4x2 decision. It's what I could afford at the time, just plain bang for the buck compared to the other manufacturers and the 381hp, 5.7L V8.

To be honest, if I don't tell people it's a 4x2 they don't even know. This is my 3rd Toyota and definately not my last. Not that I'm anti-American vehicle but I'm personally done with the big three. I worked for a Chrysler supplier and know how they operate. Ford's have been good to me except for my last 2. I have never owned a GM product (unless you count the Chevette I had when I was 18).

I consider it an American built truck anyway seeing how it was built at the San Antonio plant by American workers.

YMMV - but I am a Toyota lifer.

tinman44
12-08-07, 14:48
besides my suzuki katana i had when i was in high school (girls dig it) i have always driven fords, i bought my wife a 4Runner and i'm considering when my f-150 dies i may go with the tundra.

adon
12-09-07, 09:50
Grant,

When the OD hits 5000 miles -put some Mobile 1 in the engine.
You will find out that the 0-60 of 6.3 is very, very conservative.
Going from 60 mph to 100 mph is amazing!
I can get 21 mpg going 68 mph with the 5.7.
Did I say I really like this truck?

Alpha Sierra
12-09-07, 10:00

That is impressive. Is that the average displayed by the trip computer or actual between fillups?

WS6
12-10-07, 23:39
All,

Am looking at getting Tundra CrewMax (2007). Anyone own one and or have any first hand experience with this vehicle?

C4

My friend has one. I know it well, I detail the bloody thing for $40 a pop wash/wax every month or so.

It has some balls as well. I have a video of him racing a late-model stock F150 lightning if you are interested I will post up or PM it.

WS6
12-10-07, 23:45
Grant,

When the OD hits 5000 miles -put some Mobile 1 in the engine.
You will find out that the 0-60 of 6.3 is very, very conservative.
Going from 60 mph to 100 mph is amazing!
Did I say I really like this truck?

I would argue the oil issue. Most high-end cars come with synthetic in the crank case, yet conventional wisdom says to break a car in with dino oil. Which one is best? Well, Dodge, GM, BMW, and many others say synthetic is fine for break-in.

Custom engine builders such as Keith Craft swear up and down that synthetic should never be put in an engine.

Me? I think it is just old-school meets new and there is conflict, do it how you want because I don't think it matters a hill of beans, if the piston/wall is clearanced correctly and the rings are spinning and not gummed up and the PCV system is functioning properly and the end-gap on the rings is in-spec and you don't get ring flutter or too much piston rock then you will not lose oil or power. Period. (unless you have an oil-leak, which is VERY rare now days with all the synthetic gaskets, ect. unless you just neglect your car or your PCV valve and it clogs and blows something out).

Also, Mobil 1 is about the worst of the synthetics when it comes to their add-pack and their shear numbers. I refuse to run anything but a true group 4 or 5 oil in my LS1, but I am OCD about such things. I DO know that Mobil 1 5-30 would use about 1qt of oil every 3K miles and the 0-30 German Castrol I now run I use about 1/2 qt every 4K miles. Driving more aggressively to boot. Mobil 1 is on the thin side for the listed weights and quickly can shear into a lower catagory (By the time you take 10-30 out, it may well be on the upper end of 5-20 spec).