PDA

View Full Version : USMC03's Rules for GLOCK Owners

USMC03
08-17-06, 21:35
After seeing numerous new Glock owners modify their pistols, only to see their modifications start to cause malfunctions (drop in barrels, extra capacity magazine base plates, titanium firing pins, steel guide rods, etc, etc, etc).

After much frustration I wrote the following "Rules for Glock Owners". For the iniated it's old news, but may have some entertainment value. For those that don't "know better", they may learn something new. Enjoy:

"Jeff's Rules for Glock Owners"

I heard a wise woman once say: "It's in a man's blood to tinker with things".

I think it's in most of our blood to thinker with things in an attempt to make them better.

Glocks are one of those things in life that come "perfect" from the factory.....So if you have a Glock follow these simple rules....AND DON'T MESS WITH YOUR GLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff's rules for new Glock owners:

1) Get a Glock

2) Get a set of quality sights for it (ie. Henie, Straight 8's, XS Big Dot, Trijicon, etc).

3) Don't mess with anything else on the pistol.

4) Get PLENTY of ammo.

5) Shoot the heck out of your Glock.

6) Change the mag springs as needed and change the recoil spring with a factory recoil spring assemtly ($3 from Glock) every 5,000 rounds or so. Also change out the trigger return spring when you change out the recoil spring assembly.

That is everything you need to know about Glocks.

Semper Fi,
Jeff

DBautista
08-17-06, 21:53
Talk about bone stock?

I have the original sights, they work fine, I work fine...

But... I do have a threaded Jarvis barrel for my 19, to keep quiet...

TacDoc
08-18-06, 08:35
What about 3.5# connector and NY1 spring? A lot of people here seems to like this upgrade.

zombie
08-18-06, 11:36
The only changes from factory on any of my Glocks is on my 23. 3M stair tread tape grip panels and Pearce grip base plates because the cutout on the front strap eats my pinky finger.

USMC03
08-18-06, 11:58
What about 3.5# connector and NY1 spring? A lot of people here seems to like this upgrade.

The Department I work for has a strict policy against modifying the trigger.

If the gun is for self defense, I would recommend modifying the trigger in anyway.

I have reviewed a couple court cases over the years that were pretty good shoots, and trigger modification became a huge issue brough up by the defense. None of the cases were lost due to the trigger modification, but was was stated it became a huge issue, in some court cases it doesn't take much to tip the scales one way or the other. Thus I would rather leave the trigger alone and not have it be an issue, than modify the trigger and have it be just one more issue that I may have to fight if I were to have to use the pistol in defense of my live or a 3rd party.

Harv
08-18-06, 16:16
I can tell you that I followed Jeff's Advice when I first got my G17. The only thing that was changed was the Stock sights to some Mepro Nite sights. It's been about 2 years later and a few thousands rds and His advice still holds true.

Don't worry about different triggers and springs and all that, it won't make you shoot better, your fooling yourself. get out and shoot and take a few classes, The stock 5.5# trigger on mine is just fine and I can usually whoop up on some one at the range who has a decked out one that can't shoot for Shite......;)

nickdrak
08-18-06, 16:58

If the gun is for self defense, I would recommend modifying the trigger in anyway.

Just to clarify, You meant to post "would not recommend" correct?

USMC03
08-18-06, 18:39
Just to clarify, You meant to post "would not recommend" correct?

That is correct, I would NOT recommend modifying the trigger on a defense / duty gun.

Typo, thanks for catching it Nick.

BMMC
08-28-06, 22:45
One of my local Police Academy's policy is to have their armorer put the NY1 trigger spring in every Glock used there. I don't know if this is required for the regular PD or not. My friend failed to make the cut and the armorer was required to remove it before she was released. I assume they didn't want to be liable for a trigger mod. after they were employed by them.

She also had her stock recoil rod break at the breach end and cause her Glock to fail, would have been bad news on the street. I would estimate less then 1000 rounds fired.

Personally I would change the sights AND the recoil rod to a steel or tungston rod, and add the NY1 trigger if it's a CCW or duty weapon. Other than the guide rod I would not install any non-glock parts.

I have done the NY1 reigger spring and 3.5lb connector, and it is nice, but for range guns only.

Robb Jensen
08-29-06, 03:43
Jeff,
I would add changing out the slide lock spring (take down lever spring, not slide stop) when the trigger and recoil spring are replaced. The slide lock spring is probably the 2nd most common spring to break just not as often as the trigger spring.

Robb

M4arc
08-29-06, 06:24
Jeff,
I would add changing out the slide lock spring (take down lever spring, not slide stop) when the trigger and recoil spring are replaced. The slide lock spring is probably the 2nd most common spring to break just not as often as the trigger spring.

Robb

Robb - Glock 'upgraded' the take down lever spring and I haven't heard of the new ones breaking...yet. HotRod9mm has pictures of the two side by side and they are easy to identify even when installed.

Robb Jensen
08-29-06, 06:33
Robb - Glock 'upgraded' the take down lever spring and I haven't heard of the new ones breaking...yet. HotRod9mm has pictures of the two side by side and they are easy to identify even when installed.

They're better but I've broken 2. One in my G31 and one on my G32.

M4arc
09-05-06, 05:18
They're better but I've broken 2. One in my G31 and one on my G32.

I better watch the one in my G32 then!

ROSS4712
09-05-06, 07:15
I have to agree with USMC03.....If it isn't broke don't fix it.

In the past I have owned approx 12-15 Glocks all different models and calibers. I currently carry a G21 for duty/swat and an OD G21 for my personal competition gun.

The only mods (if any) to any of the Glocks that I have used would be Heine Straight 8's (which are on both 21's) and maybe an extended slide stop lever here or there.

Bryson
09-07-06, 02:38

I have reviewed a couple court cases over the years that were pretty good shoots, and trigger modification became a huge issue brough up by the defense. None of the cases were lost due to the trigger modification, but was was stated it became a huge issue, in some court cases it doesn't take much to tip the scales one way or the other. Thus I would rather leave the trigger alone and not have it be an issue, than modify the trigger and have it be just one more issue that I may have to fight if I were to have to use the pistol in defense of my live or a 3rd party.

Can you cite sources for this? I'd be very interested in reading these cases as well. I've never heard of this being an issue, and always chalked it up to being one of those myths you hear about from the same people who say not to use hollowpoints (they are cop killer bullets, apparently -- who knew!?).

USMC03
09-07-06, 05:58
I don't have that info readily avalible. I don't keep every bit of info that I read / get emailed to me / shown to me by co-workers / cases used for instructional purposes in classes / etc.

I do remember that one of the cases was used as an example in a police liability class that I had to attend a several years ago.

IDCC
09-12-06, 21:34
Can you cite sources for this? I'd be very interested in reading these cases as well. I've never heard of this being an issue, and always chalked it up to being one of those myths you hear about from the same people who say not to use hollowpoints (they are cop killer bullets, apparently -- who knew!?).

I believe Mossad Ayoob writes about such incidents and potential liabilities in his articles.