PDA

View Full Version : New XCR stock & XCR-M .308 DMR

variablebinary
10-18-11, 00:11
Wraps were taken off the XCR stock, along with the XCR-M DMR.

Stock fits -L and -M. DMR model features a longer rail and gas system, with a stainless barrel.

XCR stock vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN8KbpUnRdc
XCR-M Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5riMjoZHgzQ

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g377/VariableB/XCRL16L1.jpg
http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g377/VariableB/XCRL16L2.jpg

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g377/VariableB/20111014_141456.jpg

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g377/VariableB/20111014_140303.jpg

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g377/VariableB/20111014_140348.jpg

KhanRad
10-18-11, 10:04
It's nice to see the design evolving a bit.

Vitor
10-18-11, 10:18
Looking really good IMO. It's like the XM8 but less toyish.

kest_01
10-18-11, 10:29
I've always kinda liked the XCR, really digging that new stock, might look into getting one of these...who knows, theres always so many new guns I want.

scottryan
10-18-11, 12:42
Finally got the rails with no center groove.

Sensei
10-18-11, 13:21
VB, has Robarms moved beyond the pre-production phases with either the XCR-M or new stock? I've had concerns about their financial solvency based on the long lag times between product announcement and market delivery.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-18-11, 13:37
Hmmmmm. I see and XCR-L and a XCR-M, what would a XCR-H look like?

I think the Robinson is an intersting option mainly because its competitors can't get their crap together. The SCAR doesn't seem to be lighting the world on fire and HK won't release goodies to civies, the ACR might have 1.8lbs of suck taken out of it but options are slow to appear and can Travis still break the new version with his bare hands? Sig still can't seem to get the US 55x series to be taken seriously.

Add a 300 Blackout barrel option. Get it into the hands of trainer and have it run by a the class "that guy' to try to screw it up. Add on a good third-party review of the mechanics, and put people at ease about the companies future and I think they have something.

HK51Fan
10-18-11, 14:24
I have a Robarm M96 recon, an XCR -L and will get the H as well. I have never had an issue with any of my rifles. The fit and finish on them are better than most other "big" company weapons.
As far as the company staying open, I don't see that being an issue. Unlike some companies Robarms decided to stay small and control their business. MSAR comes to mind they tried to grow to fast they over produced and over leveraged themselves and now they're circling the drain. I don't see that happening with robarm. Think about it they opened during the ban and have only gottem bigger and better since then. Also They are talking about doing another run of their m96's. I know a lot of guys that wish they would have bought one when they were around!

Of course this is my opinion and I'm sure a lot of your will share your's that is contrary to mine!

scottryan
10-18-11, 14:56
I think the Robinson is an intersting option mainly because its competitors can't get their crap together. The SCAR doesn't seem to be lighting the world on fire and HK won't release goodies to civies, the ACR might have 1.8lbs of suck taken out of it but options are slow to appear and can Travis still break the new version with his bare hands? Sig still can't seem to get the US 55x series to be taken seriously.

I really have to agree with this statement.

The XCR is about the only "next generation" assault rifle that can be configured the way people want it.

I also think that new XCR stock will be good as it doesn't have a bunch of bulk and crap all over it.

Moose-Knuckle
10-18-11, 21:19
Whoa, how long has it been? Good to see it finally released. Not for me but more power to Alex and his staff.

Iraqgunz
10-19-11, 06:25
I am intrigued by that XCR-L with the short barrel. I want to put my hands on one. Maybe at SHOT?

eternal24k
10-19-11, 09:00
Stock looks good. Sometimes I forget about the XCR, I havent seen one in the wild for a LONG time.

Wasn't there an ambi lower in the works too?

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-19-11, 16:54
I am intrigued by that XCR-L with the short barrel. I want to put my hands on one. Maybe at SHOT?

+1 on this. I don't need another 16inch AR wanna-b. A piston SBR, gas regulation, folding stock with out a frick'in snake logo on it would be really interesting.

They say they have a .221-300 barrel option- that will run the 300ACC round, correct?

Jack-O
10-20-11, 16:50
This should be a good rifle. it's had time to mature and there is certainly demand for it. couple of things I'd like to know:

-is there a 20"+ barrel in the works?
-is there an ambi mag release in the future and what is the status of it?

I suspect that it will be pretty front heavy with the 18" barrel. the gun is already kind of light in the back without a light barrel on the XCR-L.

Stock looks pretty good and very minimalist. it will be a hit for sure.

Iraqgunz
10-20-11, 17:09
Variable,

How about this. I know you have some connection or whateverwith these guys, so here's the deal. Tell them to build that XCR-L thing in the SBR version like it's pictured and I am 99% sure I would get one.

I see potential in it- but we don't need anymore regurgitated bullshit or vaporware that won't hit the market until the Führer bans guns.

Jay Cunningham
10-20-11, 17:26
Variable,

How about this. I know you have some connection or whateverwith these guys, so here's the deal. Tell them to build that XCR-L thing in the SBR version like it's pictured and I am 99% sure I would get one.

I see potential in it- but we don't need anymore regurgitated bullshit or vaporware that won't hit the market until the Führer bans guns.

+1

Not a bad looking gun in theory.

variablebinary
10-21-11, 00:27
Variable,

Just as an FYI, that upper length has been available for a couple of years now. I posted an AAR when I took it through class a ways back. The only difference is the new stock which should be out in a bit.

I've had it with 7.62 and 5.56 caliber conversions, but my upper is the older design. I might get a new design though once the stock is done.

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g377/VariableB/021.jpg

thmpr
10-21-11, 01:00
I want a 16" or 14.5" version so bad!

skatz11
10-21-11, 08:13
I would buy a SBR in 300 BLK. Looking forward to some reviews.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

KhanRad
10-21-11, 08:35
I'm seriously considering the XCR-M over the SCAR. Anyone know of the the Robinson takes .308 PMAGs?

scoutfsu99
10-21-11, 09:01
I swear I'm asking this because I'm genuinely curious, not stirring the pot... I don't know much of anything about these and I've never seen one in person.

What's the big deal with this rifle? Just glancing at it, what does it do that other ARs don't? Two things that jump out immediately: It's a piston (which seems to be a big negative here) and has quick change barrels (another negative here).

Doesn't the XCR have a history of tight chambers, terrible customer service and something wrong with some of their triggers or firing pins (I can't remember exactly what, just remember reading it).

The rifle does look interesting and I for one, do like QC barrels. It's nice that they seem to have multiple barrel lengths that are *ahem* available.

bubba04
10-21-11, 09:03
my thoughts as well.

I would buy a SBR in 300 BLK. Looking forward to some reviews.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

caporider
10-21-11, 10:13
I swear I'm asking this because I'm genuinely curious, not stirring the pot... I don't know much of anything about these and I've never seen one in person.

What's the big deal with this rifle? Just glancing at it, what does it do that other ARs don't? Two things that jump out immediately: It's a piston (which seems to be a big negative here) and has quick change barrels (another negative here).

Doesn't the XCR have a history of tight chambers, terrible customer service and something wrong with some of their triggers or firing pins (I can't remember exactly what, just remember reading it).

The rifle does look interesting and I for one, do like QC barrels. It's nice that they seem to have multiple barrel lengths that are *ahem* available.

I don't think anyone has a problem with piston guns in general -- it's retrofitting a piston onto an AR that is typically less than ideal. The AR was designed as a direct impingement rifle and does not have design features that make it a good candidate for piston operation.

As for quick-change barrels -- LMT does it pretty well on an AR, so I think it's less about the feature and more about the implementation.

TOrrock
10-21-11, 10:16

There's nothing at all wrong with a gas piston system that was designed from the ground up to use a gas piston, like an AK, FN FAL, FN FNC, FN SCAR, HK G36, Armalite AR-18 (original)....etc.

It's when you take a rifle system that was designed to work with a DI system and try to re-engineer it to take a piston that you run into problems.

scoutfsu99
10-21-11, 11:01
I don't think anyone has a problem with piston guns in general -- it's retrofitting a piston onto an AR that is typically less than ideal. The AR was designed as a direct impingement rifle and does not have design features that make it a good candidate for piston operation.

As for quick-change barrels -- LMT does it pretty well on an AR, so I think it's less about the feature and more about the implementation.

I agree that LMT does it well. I think the SCAR does it well too....it would be nice if they had extra barrels available though. What about LMT's piston barrel? I haven't read of anyone having a problem with it.
Isn't a big part of the complaint the extra weight the QC brings to the rifle?

ETA: Not trying to get away from the XCR. If people are complaining about the QC feature on the SCAR, 901, MRP, etc.......how is it any different on the XCR?

JPB
10-21-11, 15:00
I agree that LMT does it well. I think the SCAR does it well too....it would be nice if they had extra barrels available though. What about LMT's piston barrel? I haven't read of anyone having a problem with it.
Isn't a big part of the complaint the extra weight the QC brings to the rifle?

ETA: Not trying to get away from the XCR. If people are complaining about the QC feature on the SCAR, 901, MRP, etc.......how is it any different on the XCR?

The QC feature is a single allen head bolt (with a thread locking helicoil insert in the aluminum receiver) on the underside of the rifle that indexes into the barrel extension. You can see the head of the bolt just forward of the mag well on the underside of the forend. Little to no weight penalty associated with this setup. I tend to think the LMT set up (clamping the receiver around a proprietary barrel extension) is a bit more robust, but you pay a weight premium with the beefed up receiver and barrel extension.

I really like my XCR, but I understand what it is and isn't. It is a good performing rifle for someone who is "into guns" and frequently goes through, takes care of, and checks their gear. It isn't a general issue type rifle where it can be handed out to anyone and everyone and it be trusted to run and run forever (like a good quality AR/AK). Everything on an XCR is held on with threaded fasteners. Not the best arrangement for long term neglect. It's a fun gun for sure, but I think that most casual shooters would be better served with an AR. The performance tradeoffs aren't, in my opinion, significant enough to warrant the additional attention the XCR needs. Buy one to play with, but I'd suggest taking the time to really learn it before using it as a serious use rifle.

Jack-O
10-22-11, 01:05
It is a good performing rifle for someone who is "into guns" and frequently goes through, takes care of, and checks their gear. It isn't a general issue type rifle where it can be handed out to anyone and everyone and it be trusted to run and run forever (like a good quality AR/AK). Everything on an XCR is held on with threaded fasteners. Not the best arrangement for long term neglect.

This.

It's a next generation rifle, and close to the best of the breed at that. It has it's idiosyncracies like any gun tho.

the benefit and hallmark of a next generation arm is that they are largely modular allowing the operator to change configuration and service the rifle with a very moderate amount of skill and no specialty tools. in this respect the XCR leads the pack. The entire rifle can be torn down to the component level with a folding hex wrench set, a screwdriver, a 1/4" box wrench and a crescent wrench.

It's not for the conscript level owner, but most others might benefit from the system.

scoutfsu99
10-22-11, 01:12
Since it's a QC barrel, how well does it retain zero b/w barrel changes of the same length? If I pop out a 14.5, go to 10, and then back to 14.5, will it retain the zero of the 14.5?

Jack-O
10-22-11, 10:02
Since it's a QC barrel, how well does it retain zero b/w barrel changes of the same length? If I pop out a 14.5, go to 10, and then back to 14.5, will it retain the zero of the 14.5?

I've never noticed a change in zero after I've removed it for cleaning.

that said, it's just common sense to re-check zero if it's critical after doing things like removing the scope and swapping barrels.

zacbol
10-22-11, 11:02
I think anyone interested in an XCR should first read this:
http://xcrforum.com/index.php?topic=9168.0

96 SS
10-22-11, 11:50
My main beef with them is not their weapon systems, it it their commitment to their product and consumer.

Try to find M96 parts, or Vepr stuff prior to the new importation.

No thanks.

Jack-O
10-22-11, 13:17
I think anyone interested in an XCR should first read this:
http://xcrforum.com/index.php?topic=9168.0

Thanks for posting that. It's good to hear they are doing well and have taken steps to improve. I wish more companies would adopt that policy!!

scoutfsu99
10-22-11, 13:58
Thanks for posting that. It's good to hear they are doing well and have taken steps to improve. I wish more companies would adopt that policy!!

That was your take away from the open letter? I'd had never seen that before. Wow.

Peshawar
10-22-11, 16:52
Yeah, I was really jazzed about the XCR until I read that (and some other posts dating back to 2008 or so). Not gonna give them any of my money, despite the fact I like a lot of the design features they've created. My desire for toys said yes but my brain said :stop:.

morbidbattlecry
10-22-11, 19:21
The Xcr-M needs to be able to be converted to run 7.62x54r. So i can make use of all the cheap surplus sitting around. If its able to that is. God i've been looking for a good handling 7.62x54r carbine/rifle forever.

Dano5326
10-22-11, 20:07
This rifle is a step up in ergos. Now with the adjust folder should be able to adjust to 95% body types / armor / techniques. I look forward to American innovation. As it evolves, does it run?

btw OAL of x54 prohibitive.. O' yeah.. RIMMED too

KhanRad
10-22-11, 20:10
btw OAL of x54 prohibitive.. O' yeah.. RIMMED too

Exactly. A pain in the ass to make reliable magazines with a capacity greater than 10rds.

11B101ABN
10-22-11, 20:15
I'm seriously considering the XCR-M over the SCAR. Anyone know of the the Robinson takes .308 PMAGs?

Looking at the last pic, it appears that the mag in the rifle case is a DPMS pattern mag.So, I assume that at least the rifle in the pic does....

NorthDakota
10-22-11, 22:12
Thanks for the pics OP.

Iraqgunz - I have handled both the XCR-L w/pencil barrel in 16 inch and SBR "standard" weight barrel at 12 inches, both in 5.56. I actually preferred the pencil for balance. YMMV of course.

I own a 6.8 1/11 Spec II XCR with the updated standardized rails and initial accuracy is very promising with no issues in function or reliability.

So far only SSA or Hornady 110 gr hunting loads - nice cloverleaf at 100 with the Hornady.

Not very scientific I know but I haven't had chance to wring out 10 groups of 10 yet. But, it is a nice system given what it brings.

I have had an M96, VEPR II 16in and VEPR II 20 inch from Robarm. They have been good to deal with for me.

FWIW, I agree with others in that while they are slow to market, they seem to be moving fwd and lack the bureacratic inertia that ties up the bigger companies.

I'll likely get the .308 going fwd if it is nicely done as my 6.8.

NorthDakota
10-22-11, 22:19
I know all you have to do is crack the seal by slightly charging the bolt with the AR but this propaganda was interesting:

XCR:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db8mmURVswc&feature=related

M4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3TMh1qkjFk&feature=related

variablebinary
10-26-11, 12:26
XCR-M with "mini" length upper and 13" barrel. FDE obviously

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g377/VariableB/XCRMSBR1.jpg

KalashniKEV
10-26-11, 12:37
So is there going to be an XCR-H .50 cal?

I get that it's "Light" and "Medium" but it's almost like a "Large" and "Medium" Iceland/Greenland thing...

I like the SBRs though!

AEnemaBay
10-27-11, 18:35

Sweet Jesus...

I for one love my XCR. I'm running conversion kits in 5.56, 6.8, and 7.62x39 all in 10.5" barrels (the 5.56 barrel I got from you VB :laugh:).

I already put my pre-order down for the FAST stock and I'm about to pre-order the M. Also, I read that the ambi-mag release is ready, they're just waiting on the parts.

Tzoid
10-27-11, 19:35
Nice to hear Robinson is still kicking...They are small and take forever to release products but when they do the product is GTG...Usually. I have owned a XCR-L since 2007 and it always performs well at the range. It get's little to no trigger time since I started building and buying AR DI Guns but I'll keep it.

Mine has the pencil barrel and lightening cut rails....I consider it a RA Classic. :big_boss:

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t124/tzoid08/Halloween2010009.jpg

DMR
10-28-11, 10:03
variablebinary,

How am I going to get hands on my name sake rifle to shoot? Interested in the 16" version of the DMR, but will have to talk to the staff about the stock since I live in such a messed up state.

DMR

Failure2Stop
10-28-11, 11:23

I like that stock waaaaaaaay more than the previous offerings.
It would be nice to see the XCR become a serious competitor in the "next generation" category.

I really like the bolt release on them, just wish they could lower that top rail closer to the barrel and get the top of the stock closer to rail height..

JPB
10-28-11, 12:31
I really like the bolt release on them, just wish they could lower that top rail closer to the barrel and get the top of the stock closer to rail height..

I run HK416 irons on mine with great success. Due to the 416s higher than standard top rail, and therefore, lower than standard height bolt on irons, they are a perfect candidate for this rifle. Hopefully, the stock will reconcile the stock/rail geaometry. Honestly, I didn't mind the standard ACE type configuration though.

AEnemaBay
10-28-11, 12:39
variablebinary,

How am I going to get hands on my name sake rifle to shoot? Interested in the 16" version of the DMR, but will have to talk to the staff about the stock since I live in such a messed up state.

DMR

Alex Robinson said they would be offering a non-folding version of the stock soon. It will still collapse though.

Javelin
10-28-11, 12:44
Variable,

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g377/VariableB/20111014_141456.jpg

I will add that I would like to see it in 300 Blackout.

justin_247
10-28-11, 13:43
OK, I'm impressed.

But I still have one major, major concern - the allen head bolts littered all over it, particularly on the bolt release and barrel quick change mechanism.

Did they modify the barrel quick change mechanism so that it won't come unscrewed? At a minimum, I'd like to have spots for the attachment of safety wire on this critical component.

Tzoid
10-28-11, 14:25
I wonder what the price is for the Stock and how long the lead times are for shipping one?

I have a older XCR and may move to the new stock if and when they start shipping... Maybe I'll call Kermit and see what he says.

variablebinary
10-28-11, 19:15
Per Robarm, the price will be the same as the current "tube"/"ACE" stock.

The cheek height is adjustable for those that want to use AR15 sights. Personally, HK 416 sights or Troy Micro sights are the better option because they are shorter.

Tzoid
10-28-11, 20:22
I called Kermit today and placed a Pre-order for a stock. He told me he has orders placed for the .308 and stocks.

AEnemaBay
10-28-11, 20:24
I called Kermit today and placed a Pre-order for a stock. He told me he has orders placed for the .308 and stocks.

Yep, I placed my pre-order for the stock with Kermit as well. He said he should be the first to get them when they ship. Now I just have to squirrel my pennies away for two more months and I'll pre-order the M.

Tzoid
10-28-11, 20:44
I have always been a big supporter of Robinson Arms and I want to see them do well but I bought a LMT .308 MWS and I'm happy with it. If i want another .308 I have to look at La Rue before RA based on the predicted quality and ability to deliver quality products to market, Alex Robinson has pissed on customers in the past( not me ) but his own personality has hurt him.

KhanRad
11-06-11, 09:23
I know all you have to do is crack the seal by slightly charging the bolt with the AR but this propaganda was interesting:

XCR:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db8mmURVswc&feature=related

M4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3TMh1qkjFk&feature=related

I'm curious if all 3rd generation 5.56 piston rifles will do this? MR556?...FN SCAR?...ACR?.... From what I remember from the old Vietnam manual, you keep your rifle above water, and charge the weapon fully in combat if you're bringing the M16 out of the water.

Jeremy
11-28-11, 14:24
Got my pre order in for the ambi mag release and the stock.

There is a guy making folding charging handles for the XCR as well. In for two of them as well.

If you get a chance to shoot one, you'll like it.

As for return to zero, I haven't noticed a change in zero between barrels. Before I got multiple guns, I'd swap between a 14.5 thin barrel and a 16 inch heavy with no change of zero.

AEnemaBay
11-28-11, 16:28
Got my pre order in for the ambi mag release and the stock.

There is a guy making folding charging handles for the XCR as well. In for two of them as well.

If you get a chance to shoot one, you'll like it.

As for return to zero, I haven't noticed a change in zero between barrels. Before I got multiple guns, I'd swap between a 14.5 thin barrel and a 16 inch heavy with no change of zero.

How much did the mag release set you back? I didn't even know they were taking orders on that yet.

I'm the one that designed the folding charging handle (well, more like adapted an existing design) and I'm having mountainman from the FALFiles produce them:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/AEnemaBay/Designs/IMG_4592Large.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/AEnemaBay/Designs/IMG_4594Large.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/AEnemaBay/Designs/IMG_4595Large.jpg

Littlelebowski
11-28-11, 17:54
Gotta admit, these are piquing my interest.

HK51Fan
11-28-11, 19:52
as well they should. i have an L model with the light barrel, and an M96 recon carbine. I think RA makes a nice weapon and can't wait to add the .308 to the stable.

BAC
11-29-11, 10:05
I want to like it, but...

But I still have one major, major concern - the allen head bolts littered all over it, particularly on the bolt release and barrel quick change mechanism.

This.

Make it as stupid-proof as an AR, fully ambidextrous, and reduce the weight. It's trim physically but ACR-like in weight with a skinny barrel.

-B

Eddiesketti
01-26-12, 17:40
XCR-M should be shipping in February. Anyone already have the fast stock?

morbidbattlecry
01-26-12, 18:27
Anyone have pricing yet?

Jack-O
01-26-12, 18:55
I've played with the fast, and I think there are one or two in the wild.

pricing on the new stock will be the same as the old folder, which (correct me if I'm off) was around $250

it's got some nice features looks pretty good and seems strong enough.

Eddiesketti
01-27-12, 19:52
Anyone have pricing yet?

The XCR-M will retail for $2400 (+$100 for barrels over 18.6") with the new XCS/FAST stock.

Vitor
01-28-12, 00:06
The XCR-M will retail for $2400 (+$100 for barrels over 18.6") with the new XCS/FAST stock.

Not cheap, but if the hype of very low recoil is true, it will be a worthy opponent to the Scar-H.

Good to see combat rifles with modern design and ergonomics hitting the market.

Eddiesketti
01-28-12, 09:03
Not cheap, but if the hype of very low recoil is true, it will be a worthy opponent to the Scar-H.

Good to see combat rifles with modern design and ergonomics hitting the market.

Plus it takes SR25 pattern magazines which are readily available.