PDA

View Full Version : Question About Donation To PD

GIJew766
10-18-11, 18:59
So, while I'm out here at school, I've been working for the township's EMS unit part time. In doing so, I've established a pretty good working relationship with the local PD. In fact, I've even become pretty good friends with a handful of guys I work with in the detention facility as an overnight medical tech for the drunks and other morons. Well, when sitting with one of the officers the other night on duty, I was informed that the department of 20 some officers only has two Bushy carbines for the entire PD, and only one unit per shift has it in the vehicle. I was shocked. In conversation, I found that the department had to fight to even get them, because the community thought the ARs sent "too aggressive a message." Now that they have them, they cannot afford anything better, or even any more of the Bushies.

I guess what I'm getting at, is how hard would it be for me to make a "charitable donation" of a bunch of Colt carbines to the department. The money is a non-issue at this point in time, it's just a matter of getting in to see the chief and trying to figure out how to go about it. Anything I should know before going in regarding making that kind of a donation. Anyone in the industry I should talk to? That kind of stuff. If you have any suggestions or ideas, it'd be much appreciated. These guys work in a heavy meth area, and can use all the help they can get.

Thanks folks.

H

Collegefour
10-19-11, 02:08
The main thing to keep in mind is: Police chiefs are POLITICIANS, not officers. Most high level brass are anti-gun (for the people, not the police), and they will make screwy decisions based on the fact that their constituents don't like guns. I would make an effort to find out what the decision maker thinks, and go from there. Do not be offended if they refuse your generous offer. I have heard of a PD that declined an entire fleet of new patrol vehicles (unknown what strings might have been attached to the offer).

Iraqgunz
10-19-11, 07:47
Tell the responsible person in their department to look into the 1033 Program. I am 99% sure it is still in effect and it will help them alot. Are you talking about you purchasing them and giving them as a gift or similar? It could be done if you were so inlcined. David Spade did it for Phoenix PD.

Call the Chiefs' secretary and tell her you want to meet with the Chief about making a department donation. You may even find a distributor or someone who will cut you break if you explain the story.

C4IGrant
10-19-11, 09:00
So, while I'm out here at school, I've been working for the township's EMS unit part time. In doing so, I've established a pretty good working relationship with the local PD. In fact, I've even become pretty good friends with a handful of guys I work with in the detention facility as an overnight medical tech for the drunks and other morons. Well, when sitting with one of the officers the other night on duty, I was informed that the department of 20 some officers only has two Bushy carbines for the entire PD, and only one unit per shift has it in the vehicle. I was shocked. In conversation, I found that the department had to fight to even get them, because the community thought the ARs sent "too aggressive a message." Now that they have them, they cannot afford anything better, or even any more of the Bushies.

I guess what I'm getting at, is how hard would it be for me to make a "charitable donation" of a bunch of Colt carbines to the department. The money is a non-issue at this point in time, it's just a matter of getting in to see the chief and trying to figure out how to go about it. Anything I should know before going in regarding making that kind of a donation. Anyone in the industry I should talk to? That kind of stuff. If you have any suggestions or ideas, it'd be much appreciated. These guys work in a heavy meth area, and can use all the help they can get.

Thanks folks.

H

This is a very nice thing. If they agree, we will get you Colt 6920's at OUR COST for the Dept (can ship them directly to them).

Let us know.

C4

GIJew766
10-19-11, 10:01
I would make an effort to find out what the decision maker thinks, and go from there. Do not be offended if they refuse your generous offer. I have heard of a PD that declined an entire fleet of new patrol vehicles (unknown what strings might have been attached to the offer).

I have dealt with the Deputy Chief a few times over an event a few weeks ago, and he seems pretty cool. I've yet to actually meet the chief. No strings attached here, just don't want to see someone gunned down because they didn't have the right gear.

Tell the responsible person in their department to look into the 1033 Program. I am 99% sure it is still in effect and it will help them alot. Are you talking about you purchasing them and giving them as a gift or similar? It could be done if you were so inlcined. David Spade did it for Phoenix PD.

I'll have to give my buddy a call to have him look into this program. My intention was to buy a handful of carbines myself and make the donation. Figure what the hell. Only thing that's hanging me up is paperwork involved in making a charitable donation of actual firearms.

This is a very nice thing. If they agree, we will get you Colt 6920's at OUR COST for the Dept (can ship them directly to them).

Let us know.

C4

Grant, you continue to be a Godsend to the shooting community. As soon as I know something, I will be in touch. Thank you kindly, Sir.

And thank you all for your input. Hopefully, I can get the ball rolling soon.

H

Irish
10-19-11, 10:35
I have a similar question regarding making a donation to LV Metro. I have a membership to Front Sight, given as a gift and have actually never attended, that came with a dozen certificates for free training.

I understand that FS and the knucklehead in charge don't have the best reputation in the serious shooting world but I'd like to donate some of these certificates to Metro in hopes that our local officers will get out and get some additional training.

Is the best person to contact a public relations officer? Would it be best to go to our local area command or the main one? Are donations like these tax deductible?

signal4l
10-19-11, 10:51
You might want to speak to the police union president and ask him what the best way is to go about this. If the chief is anti gun and unconcerned about his officers well being he my politely decline your offer.

GIJew766
10-19-11, 12:07
You might want to speak to the police union president and ask him what the best way is to go about this. If the chief is anti gun and unconcerned about his officers well being he my politely decline your offer.

From conversation with two of the officers a few minutes ago, it isn't that the chief is anti-gun or unconcerned, it's more a long the lines of being in a relatively tight budget and the community at large being unconcerned. Some of the officers have mulled buying their own carbines, but the fact that a department of 20 officers only has 2 carbines is staggering.

H

signal4l
10-19-11, 13:09
From conversation with two of the officers a few minutes ago, it isn't that the chief is anti-gun or unconcerned, it's more a long the lines of being in a relatively tight budget and the community at large being unconcerned. Some of the officers have mulled buying their own carbines, but the fact that a department of 20 officers only has 2 carbines is staggering.

H

You are a generous man. I thank you for your efforts

GIJew766
10-19-11, 14:51
You are a generous man. I thank you for your efforts

No need, brother. If my time with the Border Patrol taught me anything, it's that we need to look out for each other. Now that I'm in school and all, the least I can do is make sure these guys have what they need to make it home to their wives and kids. Stay safe out there.

H

Iraqgunz
10-19-11, 15:32
GIJew,

http://www.justnet.org/Pages/1033.aspx

https://www.dispositionservices.dla.mil/rtd03/leso/1033handout.pdf

GIJew766
10-27-11, 15:54
GIJew,

http://www.justnet.org/Pages/1033.aspx

https://www.dispositionservices.dla.mil/rtd03/leso/1033handout.pdf

Gunz, thank you much. Took that info over to the PD the other day for my meeting. Based on initial conversation, the Chief would not be against the donation, but he does need to get approval before any donations can be made. This would be the same policy if he was receiving a donation of cash, vehicles, toilet paper, etc. We will be having several "informal" meetings as well with some of the more "seasoned" veterans of the department. Apparently, the preferred meeting location is the local bar, which works for me.

Keeping my fingers crossed. I'm heading home for the weekend to be with my aunt in the hospital, but when I get back, I'm hoping this can keep moving forward. Thanks much, guys for all of the input.

H