PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in Ohio Just Went to the Next Level

Spurholder
10-19-11, 08:27
http://news.yahoo.com/police-seek-escaped-exotic-animals-ohio-083936950.html

ZANESVILLE, Ohio (AP) — Schools closed and motorists were warned to stay in their vehicles as officers with assault rifles patrolled a rural area in eastern Ohio Wednesday, a day after police killed dozens of escaped animals from a wild-animal preserve, where the owner was found dead.

Heard a Jack Hanna quip this morning - the gist was that the authorities had a couple of days to fix this, and then...

mtdawg169
10-19-11, 11:12
There was a trailer load of elk being transported through GA a few years ago that wrecked & the elk got loose. A couple were hit on the road and at least one was shot by a hunter. In GA, non-native species are not regulated and can be taken at any time. My guess is that most of the escapees won't survive a winter in the wild.

Mr. Goodtimes
10-19-11, 11:14
These is why you don't bring these animals out of their natural habitats. Not only is it stupid but it's going against the way things were meant to be. If you want to see a lion, go to ****ing Africa, if you want to see a grizzly bear, go to Kodiak, Alaska etc... I'm by no means a tree hugger but zoos make me sick with all these exotic animals pulled out of their habitats thousands of miles away so that some fat family can go gawk at them.

People will argue "well we saved them from dying." People need to quit feeling like we need to impede with natural selection. If you want to rehabilitate the animal whatever, but then release it back into it's habitat, don't stick it in some theme park/zoo/attraction.

ST911
10-19-11, 11:41
Wild animal sanctuaries aren't all that uncommon. Local area LE that's equipped to deal with them and planned for these types of events, is.

skyugo
10-19-11, 12:07
i imagine a little impromptu safari will be more enjoyable than chasing down tweakers for the ohio pd.

Sensei
10-19-11, 12:17
I'm by no means an environmentalist or vegetarian. However, I am a little bummed that so many animals had to be killed.

Suwannee Tim
10-19-11, 16:43
There was a trailer load of elk being transported through GA a few years ago that wrecked & the elk got loose........

There was a semi load of chickens being transported through Whitehouse that wrecked. We went after them with 22s. Then we had to clean them. Cleaning a couple of hundred chickens is a lot of work.

Moose-Knuckle
10-19-11, 16:50
Here kitty, kitty. . .

Army Chief
10-19-11, 18:12
Look like this would have been a convenient way to potentially knock out a couple of the Big Five without incurring the staggering costs of the typical African safari. ;)

AC

C-grunt
10-19-11, 20:54
I wonder how the duty handguns and, most likely, AR-15s did against the lions and tigers?

Dave_M
10-19-11, 23:09
I heard about it on the news when it happened. If there were any Hyenas I would've driven to Zanesville (I've wanted a spotted Hyena as a pet forever; though I hear it's better to get them when they're young :D )

I mean seriously, what is creepier when someone pounds on the door? A really loud dog or direful laughter?

Moose-Knuckle
10-20-11, 00:53
I am an animal lover at heart, and as the details keep coming in on this case it really chaps my ass. The son-of-a-bitch who owned the exotic animal preserve committed suicide just after releasing ALL the animals and he has an extensive history of charges that include animal cruelty and neglect. The bastard is responsible for the deaths of those animals many of which are endangered species.

I don't fault the LEOs for having to put down the animals as they don't have the resources to safely capture them and the safety of the community and that of their own is above the animals.

I hope the owner is roasting on a spit up his keester in hell. . .

Story here:
http://news.yahoo.com/lions-tigers-shot-ohio-owner-freed-them-212126865.html

platoonDaddy
10-20-11, 03:22
I wonder how the duty handguns and, most likely, AR-15s did against the lions and tigers?

Same question has been going through my mind, haven't read anything on the weapons the sheriff department used. One would think they were using their duty shotgun and AR (whatever their long gun is).

kwelz
10-20-11, 13:23
I am an animal lover at heart, and as the details keep coming in on this case it really chaps my ass. The son-of-a-bitch who owned the exotic animal preserve committed suicide just after releasing ALL the animals and he has an extensive history of charges that include animal cruelty and neglect. The bastard is responsible for the deaths of those animals many of which are endangered species.

I don't fault the LEOs for having to put down the animals as they don't have the resources to safely capture them and the safety of the community and that of their own is above the animals.

I hope the owner is roasting on a spit up his keester in hell. . .

Story here:
http://news.yahoo.com/lions-tigers-shot-ohio-owner-freed-them-212126865.html

This. This 10 times over.