PDA

View Full Version : Counterfeit QC?

yellowfin
10-19-11, 10:22
I've been shopping around a bit to stock more BOK's for the wife, relatives, etc. and found something interesting. Combat Gauze is usually pretty pricey but I found a source for a considerably lower $ than usual, and it has me a bit wary since the only photo they have i a stock photo identical to those on every other website offering it for the usual price. Has anyone heard of anyone counterfeiting QC, since you'd have to tear open the package and thus sacrifice the product to find out?

ArmaGlock
10-22-11, 00:21
link?

chuckman
10-22-11, 06:58
I'd like to see a link. I know that expired QC, or close to expiration, will be a bit cheaper, and the non-Z-fold CQ combat gauze will be a it cheaper than the Z-fold, but otherwise have near identitical packaging.

yellowfin
10-27-11, 09:48
How long is the shelf life on it?

chuckman
10-27-11, 12:01
How long is the shelf life on it?

The QC I have seen (i.e., mine and in my department) expire in 2013. I think but don't know that QC's exp date is about 3-4 years out. I was told that the date is only because the FDA regulates it and requires it and that it never trully 'expires' or goes bad, but I don't know how true this is. I imagine that it is pretty safe beyond the exp date based on how it works.

AZwildcat
01-07-12, 13:35
The operant substance in Combat Gauze is Kaolin which really does not deteriorate with time. I think the comment about an expiration date being an FDA requirement is likely correct. Given that it is a fairly expensive item I don't think I'd be in a big hurry to get rid of it unless it were very old and the packaging was in some way compromised.

I am a real believer in Quikclot products and have used them several times to stop major bleeds. I keep some in my home medicine cabinet, in my first-aid kit in my car, in my backpack for hiking, and in my go bag. I live in a retirement community and bleeding seems to be a real problem for senior citizens. Any cut or scratch can turn into an emergency and nosebleeds are common. Unfortunately, I have had a couple if incidents where friends got cut and, fortunately, I have had Quikclot available to quickly deal with the wounds. It works great!

As it becomes more available at retail outlets, I would think the prices might drop somewhat, but even at the current prices, it is a product that should be part of every first-aid kit.