PDA

View Full Version : quickie anyone?

GunSlinger
10-19-11, 11:57
Out of curiosity anyone know of a documented instance where the quick detach feature on an optic has been useful in a hostile situation, or any for that matter. The kind of example I'm looking for is something along the lines of someone being in a fight (or class) and the sight got damaged,clogged with mud or stopped working and the shooter was better off being able pull the sight off quick and use the irons alone.

lately I find myself buying more Daniel Defense mounts for their lightness and strength (sacrificing the quick detach option)

BCmJUnKie
10-19-11, 12:09
Is there any documented instance of the B.A.D lever being useful in a hostile situation?

No, but everyone puts them on cause they are convenient.

Do you really need to close your bolt that much faster than hitting the bolt release?

I like the Q.D lever on my optics because its fast and convenient, for multiple reasons, cleaning, switching to irons, stowing my weapon etc.

Its fast and its strong, its a little on the heavy side but it works.

I guess it just comes down to preference.

I have been wanting to try the mounts youre talking about though.

Maybe on my next build.

BrigandTwoFour
10-19-11, 12:12
Reposting someone else's picture on another forum...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5250/5245197655_179b62824c.jpg

Pretty sure that guy would have liked to QD his scope and use irons.

But you're probably not THAT guy.

BCmJUnKie
10-19-11, 12:15

I think you might be correct.

Thanks for posting that pic.

markm
10-19-11, 12:18
I'm sure the gun that scope came off of didn't have irons anyway.

C4IGrant
10-19-11, 12:23
Out of curiosity anyone know of a documented instance where the quick detach feature on an optic has been useful in a hostile situation, or any for that matter. The kind of example I'm looking for is something along the lines of someone being in a fight (or class) and the sight got damaged,clogged with mud or stopped working and the shooter was better off being able pull the sight off quick and use the irons alone.

lately I find myself buying more Daniel Defense mounts for their lightness and strength (sacrificing the quick detach option)

All of the above do happen and I have removed optics for reasons like not working or not being able to see through them.

With that said, the BIGGEST reason for QD mounts is because you can remove them for weapon maintenance or wanting put a different powered optic on the same gun and have everything return to zero.

Can you get a screw on mount to return to zero? Yes (have done it). You just need to use a calibrated torque wrench. If you do not have that, just draw witness marks across the screws and base and the optic should be pretty close to zero.

C4

MistWolf
10-19-11, 14:05

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5250/5245197655_179b62824c.jpg

But you're probably not THAT guy.

"That Guy" put duct tape over the hole to keep the dust out and finished his mission with that scope. If I recall, NF had that photo posted on their website

GunSlinger
10-19-11, 14:17
Thank you for the replies guys.

Just never experienced or recalled anyone removing a non-serviceable optic to keep with the task at hand.