PDA

View Full Version : CASV Questions

m4brian
10-19-11, 16:14
Anyone use this handguard and can comment on:

1. What is the profile like compared to a 'regular rail'? How does it feel and balance in the hands?

2. What type of rear BUS needs to be used?

3. How is the weight compared to say, a DD Omega or Omega X?

Thanks.

justin_247
10-19-11, 17:20
Good lord, dude. I don't mean to be a jerk, but this must be the fifth or sixth thread you've created over the past two months regarding hand guards and rail systems.

There is no such thing as a "regular rail" - they are all different.

Here is a chart of the weights and dimensions of most of the rail systems out there, and it has been posted hundreds of times on this forum.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsFnUZMkZNF2DQ&output=html

... and the weights of the CASV are all posted on the VLTOR website. It took me literally 15 seconds to find it.

m4brian
10-19-11, 17:22
Thanks - glad someone is counting.

Sheet does it.

Fuzzy-Reticle
10-23-11, 19:42

1. What is the profile like compared to a 'regular rail'? How does it feel and balance in the hands?It does not have a quad rail profile. It is octagonal in shape. Smaller than a Midwest Ind. rail but larger than one of the newer tube type that are growing in popularity. I like how it feels without rail covers.

2. What type of rear BUS needs to be used?I have a Troy BUIS currently mounted on mine and I have used an ARMS 40L also with no issues. Magpul sites do not work and YMMV with others.

3. How is the weight compared to say, a DD Omega or Omega X?It adds about 1 pound to the rifle. It is heavier than the Omega and the Omega X.

Thanks.
The CASV is not everyone's cup of tea. Mostly people are not fans of the weight and the inability to cowitness sites through a red dot optic without a low mount. Forget Eotech. Personally I like it.

crazymoose
10-23-11, 21:04
The CASV is not everyone's cup of tea. Mostly people are not fans of the weight and the inability to cowitness sites through a red dot optic without a low mount. Forget Eotech. Personally I like it.

I believe the stepped models were specifically intended to allow the EO Tech, but you have to mount the pretty far forward.

Rekkr870
10-24-11, 10:47

1. What is the profile like compared to a 'regular rail'? How does it feel and balance in the hands?

2. What type of rear BUS needs to be used?

3. How is the weight compared to say, a DD Omega or Omega X?

Thanks.

I just finished a build using the CASV-M. The fit and finish is very nice. Like the others said, you either like it or you don't. I really like mine. Most people are turned off by the inability to cowitness. However, I was not worried about that due to going the 1-4 variable route. For BUIS I use the Troy rear folding battle sight. For the front sight, I use the VLTOR Casv FS. I cannot comment on the weight comparison to the DD rails because I have no experience with them.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk