PDA

View Full Version : How do Trijicon Reflex Sights compare with EOTech?

sonrider657
11-19-07, 21:34
I know that L3/EOTech is a sponsor of this sight but does anyone have an objective comparisons between between a Trijicon Reflex and an EOTech?

usaffarmer
11-20-07, 00:16
there are pros and cons to both. First the Eotech is battery powered that is really the only down fall i have run into. Run a 552 AA system and you shouldnt have any problems. As for the Reflex it doesnt run off a battery. This is about the only thing i liked about it. The Triangle dot or sighting dot is in some lighting conditions not the best. Case in point is sutting against a white back ground like snow. It washes out. For easy of target aquisition the eotech with the larger sight window is easier. I think.
I have used both and continue to use the eotech. hope this helps

rykyard
11-20-07, 00:47
I know that L3/EOTech is a sponsor of this sight but does anyone have an objective comparisons between between a Trijicon Reflex and an EOTech?

I apologize for not addressing your primary question, don't have any experience with Trijicon Reflex sights. However, from my experience on M4Carbine.net (lurking mostly) I can say that typically the information here is unbiased, especially in terms of who sponsors the site or doesn't. The equipment, tactics and methods are discussed by authorities and novices alike in professional manner, and the "cream rises to the top".

Take that for what it's worth, I'm the definition of novice but I can spot a "company shill" from a mile away, and you will rarely seen that here.

Failure2Stop
11-20-07, 09:03
The Trijicon Reflex is not even in the same league as the EoTech.

My very first exposure with non-magnified optics was with the Reflex. I thought it was great. I accepted that the dot didn't work all that well from in dark areas pointing into light areas, and that it wasn't too good at night when using the VLI, and that the dot was more like a soft-ball than a point, but it was fast; I didn't have to waste precious tenths of seconds to align sights. No batteries required.

Then I used the Aimpoint. Gen I M68 CCOs, horrible battery life compared to today's, but I realized that they were far superior to the Reflex.

I thought that the EoTech was going to be the bestest thing ever since individually wrapped cheese, but the limitations of the system (battery life, buttons, auto-kill, spring compression, water proofing, etc) far outweighed the 65 MOA circle and 1 MOA dot.

I would much rather have an EoTech (553) than a Reflex, but would prefer an Aimpoint over both.

Erick Gelhaus
11-20-07, 10:42
I have a Trij Reflex ... it sits on my Blue Gun.

The mount frequently came loose - even with lock tite; the dot was fine in the morning and evening hours, but it bit in bright sunlight or when the SF light came on; the threads on the polarizing filter are too fine to install quickly but the thing is too dark for the other times of day.

I bought the Trij Reflex about eight years ago, because of electronics issues that I encountered with an Aimpoint 5000. The Reflex got replaced fairly quick by an Aimpoint CompM.

Maybe M4Guru will drop his latest Aimpoint / EOTech quote here.

Lumpy196
11-20-07, 20:01
The reflex sucks in different lighting conditions. It disappears in fadding light like sunrise and sunset. It sucks with flashlights against certain backgrounds. It suck under sodium vapor parking lot lights. It suck when aiming from inside an enclosed structure out into bright sunlight. It fogs up easily.

People that play on the range love them.

USMC03
11-20-07, 21:16
From this thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=4209

Trijicon Reflex I & II

The first time I had a "wash out" (ie. where you can't see the aiming dot because you don't have proper contrast between lighting / target / illuminated aiming dot) problem with the Trijicon Reflex was in 1998 on a SWAT call. It was a no knock drug raid, in one of the back bedrooms I encounter a gang banger who is wearing a long white shirt. He won't comply with my commands and is slightly bladed to me, I can't completely see his right arm / hand.

The house is extreemly dark, all the windows are covered and the only ambient light in the entire house is coming from the television in the front room.

I have a Surefire 9v classic weapon mounted light illuminating the suspect. I'm looking for the dot, I can't find it. The bad guy complies and we take him into custody.

As we are searching the rest of the rooms, I use the light intermitenly, turing it off and on. When the light is off I can see the dot perfectly, when it's on if the light is on a dark object like a black or dark blue bed sheet I can see the dot fine. If the light is illuminating a white or light colored object like a wall, etc. I can't see the dot as the white light on the light colored object washes out the amber dot.

I also tried the Reflex II and had the same problem. I was also using the Polarizing filter on both Reflex sights. The filter is like putting a pair of sunglasses on your optic but it gave more contrast and I could see the dot better (until I ran into the problem noted above).

The Reflex technology is over 10 years old and there are so many better optics on the market today.

Aimpoint and EO Tech

(non magnified electronic red dot optics)

I have been using the Aimpoints prior to the XD models coming out (since around 1999 or 2000).

I attend several tactical carbine classes, shoot in matches, and have taken several Patrol Rifle and SWAT carbine courses. I have yet to see an Aimpoint go down.

On the other hand I have seen several EO Tech's go down (they were all prior to the Rev F). I have also seen several fall off guns. I know of at least 3 different Officers who had their EO Techs go down DURING a SWAT call out.

I don't like dropping names, but Pat Rogers and several other trainers have witnessed the same problems with EO Techs (check the posts in the 2001 - 2004 timeframe on http://www.tacticalforums.com for further info).

That being said, the Rev F has been out for a couple years, I have seen several in classes, matches, etc. and have never seen one fail.

I highly recommend both the Aimpoint or the EO Tech (Rev F). Both are extreemly durable. The deciding factor comes down to your personal preferences. I find the controls on the Aimpoint easier to operate with glove on or when your fingers are extreemly cold, the battery life is in the 10,000 to 50,000 range (EO Tech has a battery life in the hundreds of hours depending on which model you get), both EO Tech and Aimpoint have night vision models, with the Aimpoint if the sight goes down you can use the tube as a large ghost ring at CQB disances, etc, etc, etc.

I don't care for the reticle on the EO Tech (pixilated), the buttons, the auto shut off feature, the battery life, etc. These are just *my* personal preferences. I highly recommend the EO Tech or the Aimpoint.

If you go with an Aimpoint, I perfer the 4 MOA dot instead of the 2 MOA dot. The 4 MOA dot is easier to see under extreemly bright conditions (sun reflecting off the snow). Some guys get wrapped around the axel about precision shots with a 4 MOA dot. This is a non-issue because at 300 yards the dot is only 12" in diameter, not big enough to cover a man's chest. At distances over 300 yards you are going to be holding over the target, so you don't have to worry about the dot covering up your target.

I have been using the Aimpoint on entries for the last 6 or 7 years in all types of conditions.

Semper Fi,
Jeff