PDA

View Full Version : Good Reasons Not To Buy Gen4 G26?

Submariner
10-20-11, 10:28
I found no references to the G26 in the Gen 4 Glock thread.

How different is the Gen4 G26 from the Gen3 G26?

Are there issues with the Gen4 G26?

CoryCop25
10-20-11, 10:46
I just bought one last week. I have only had it out twice now but I have had no issues with it. I have shot many types of ammo through it but no cheap steel stuff. The gen 4 model has the interchangeable back straps and different mag release.

eternal24k
10-20-11, 11:47
mag release, grip texture and backstraps are the only differences. The 26 has always had the duel recoil spring assembly that was the center of controversy/issues in the compact and full size 4th Gens

jmlshooter
10-20-11, 11:51
The Gen3 works. No idea if the Gen4 does or not.

eternal24k
10-20-11, 11:53
The Gen3 works. No idea if the Gen4 does or not.

why wouldn't it work?

BigBen66
10-20-11, 13:02
Have a Gen4. No problems. 500+ rounds. Just a little different feel with the grip.

jmlshooter
10-20-11, 13:11
why wouldn't it work?Because other Gen4's don't work very well out of the box.

Grizzly16
10-20-11, 13:14
Because other Gen4's don't work very well out of the box.

I'd say that is a weee bit of an overstatement.

CoryCop25
10-20-11, 14:08
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=51356

JasonA
10-20-11, 14:42
I purchased a Gen4 G26 a little over two months ago, but I haven't been able to shoot it as much as I would like due to work. So far, I've put just under 600 rounds through it with no issues, and 200 of those were Wolf WPA 115gr.

mrosamilia
10-20-11, 14:42
I'd say that is a weee bit of an overstatement.

No overstatement at all. Sold both of my Gen 4's and have returned to Gen 3's along with M&P line.

awad
10-20-11, 19:11
only have abou 500 rounds through my gen4 g26 and no problems at all.

wish i could say the same about my gen3 g23.

Denali
10-20-11, 19:18

We call this hyperbole...;)

msiley
10-20-11, 23:19
I have had a Gen4 G26 for awhile. It's my primary carry. I've probably put about 3,000-4,000 rounds through it without a single hiccup. I had a Gen 3 G27. I really like the grip texture on the Gen4 and the larger mag release. Those 2 points alone would make me pick the Gen4 over the Gen3.

Submariner
10-21-11, 02:09
No overstatement at all. Sold both of my Gen 4's and have returned to Gen 3's along with M&P line.

Were they G26s?

Mike169
10-21-11, 09:20
Personally, I find the gen4 texture to be uncomfortable for IWB carry. There are many who will disagree with this, but I do not care for it. I carry my Gen3 Glock 26 over my Gen4 Glock 19 for this reason alone.

During the winter months, when a t-shirt can be added, the gen4 wouldn't even be noticeable, but that's not the case right now.

eternal24k
10-21-11, 12:19

If you read my previous post you would see that I highlighted the fact that Gen4 Glock 26s have the same recoil systems as the Gen3, the 26 has always had the duel recoil spring and it was the implementation of the DRS on larger frame Glocks that gave them the initial teething issues.

A Gen 4 glock 26 is a Gen3 with a different grip and mag release

jmlshooter
10-21-11, 13:41
It's not the recoil spring assembly. It's the extractor.

It doesn't take much science to figure this out.

eternal24k
10-21-11, 13:55

FWIW, my Gen3 26 has the exact same extractor as the Gen4s, so simply separating it by generations doesn't solve your concern, if you are going on the extractor argument.

Most issues with Gen4s I have seen were with the original duel recoil spring, Glock has changed the design and distributed replacements for many of those affected.

Like I said before, the 26 does not have the scope of change between 3rd and 4th gens that the compact and full size glocks have.

TAZ
10-21-11, 14:05
If the extractor was the root cause then the only safe Glocks to purchase would be Glocks manufactured prior to the release of the Gen4 line. As far as I know, Glock did not change the extractor design, but rather the manufacturing process to reduce factory cost. The new MIM extractors are going into all new production guns. I think the new extractor process needs debugging much like the stupid dual recoil system (which IMO should have been done by Glock and not end users), but if the extractor is the root cause of all Gen 4 failures then you are screwed no matter which generation you buy new.

jmlshooter
10-21-11, 15:17
Just drop in the older extractor. You can buy them all over the internet.

Or buy used. It's a Glock.

I didn't mean to kill any sacred cows.

packinaglock
10-21-11, 20:28
About 1000 rounds through my gen 4 G26 no issues
about 400 rounds through my gen 4 G27 no issues
about 300 rounds through my gen 4 G23 no issues

msstate56
10-21-11, 21:58

Where specifically "all over the internet" can you purchase an old style extractor, and be sure that you will actually get the old style? My usual sources only have the new "dip" style extractors.

lewis
10-22-11, 10:24

Wow, I somehow completely missed this in all the stupid internet chatter. All 5 of my Gen4 Glocks work great. And they all have a bunch of rounds through them. Including a very early Gen4 22 that fired 4000 rounds on the original recoil spring assembly before I was able to get a new one. I'm glad I bought the only 5 Gen4 Glocks that work (sarcasm).

Back to the question:
The Gen4 26/27 are fine. They already had the captive double recoil spring. Only the mold for the fram was changed.

SmokeJumper
10-22-11, 14:31
I do not own a Gen4 G26 but several guys I work with and shoot with have bought Gen4 G26 and G27's for BUG's, of which I have shot on several occasions. To my knowledge they have put several hundred rounds through them without issue. That being said, the only complaint I've heard from two of them is that they are not keen on the new grip texture due to how it rubs in certain carry modes. Everyone's experience is different though.

TAZ
10-23-11, 18:07
Where specifically "all over the internet" can you purchase an old style extractor, and be sure that you will actually get the old style? My usual sources only have the new "dip" style extractors.

If by dip you mean loaded chamber indicator then that design has been with us for a while. My 21SF has it as did my 19 and 34.

Lone Wolf makes a replacement that is still a forged unit ASFAIK.

brushy bill
10-24-11, 20:20
If by dip you mean loaded chamber indicator then that design has been with us for a while. My 21SF has it as did my 19 and 34.

Lone Wolf makes a replacement that is still a forged unit ASFAIK.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=155971&TERM=extractor

"Lone Wolf extractors are investment cast from A1 tool steel."

GJM
10-24-11, 22:25
If you send a Gen 4 Glock back to Glock this week, they do the following Gen 4 "improvements" -- new RSA (except for 26/27), new ejector, dot connector, and check fit of extractor.

Bill Rogers, at the Rogers School, identified the ejector as being the primary problem with their Gen 4 17's early this year, and started modifying their ejectors to improve function. Glock just recently got a new ejector for the 9 and 40 models, and while they will send it out to LE customers, only install that ejector in non LE pistols if you send them your pistol.

JHC
10-25-11, 09:04
If you send a Gen 4 Glock back to Glock this week, they do the following Gen 4 "improvements" -- new RSA (except for 26/27), new ejector, dot connector, and check fit of extractor.

Bill Rogers, at the Rogers School, identified the ejector as being the primary problem with their Gen 4 17's early this year, and started modifying their ejectors to improve function. Glock just recently got a new ejector for the 9 and 40 models, and while they will send it out to LE customers, only install that ejector in non LE pistols if you send them your pistol.

I saw your early post quite awhile back about that on another forum and I think that was the key discovery that really will have sorted things out in the final analysis. Now as to root cause for the need of such, I dunno.
Thanks

glocktogo
03-06-12, 10:17
Bumping this thread because I'm about to order a Gen 4 G-26 with the Nickel Boron slide & barrel finish on agency letterhead. I have to order it from the regional (out of state) LE distributor and wanted to do one last check that the Gen 4 issues are not an issue with the G-26 specifically. Any updates from those that have them or those that work on them? Thanks.

jrmymiles
03-07-12, 08:17
I picked up a gen 4 G26 with a test fire date of 12/11. 1000 problem free rounds down range. It ejects brass just fine.

jamaicanj
03-07-12, 08:17
Fwiw...issues of erratic ejections are not only seen in the gen 4 models. I recently worked on a new production gen 3 26 that was experiencing weak and erratic ejections. New ejector, extractor, and recoil spring installed and issues continued. Gun is back at the factory now...

High Altitude
03-07-12, 13:35

Then good luck with the gen 3 9mms, same extractor.

Doesn't take much science to figure this out.

High Altitude
03-07-12, 13:47
The 26 is good to go. Glock basically just changed the grip/mag release.

This is what glock should of done with all the 9mms, not just the 26.

But, it looks like the latest 9mms with all the updated parts are doing pretty good. 750 rounds on my new gen4 19 and no malfunctions.

dialM4murder
03-07-12, 15:39
The problem is that they have a generation 4 extractors which are a piece of crap. Just bought one Saturday, and it has erratic ejection.

KCabbage
03-07-12, 16:40

Or buy used. It's a Glock.

I didn't mean to kill any sacred cows.

Where exactly can these be found?

Tzook
03-07-12, 16:50
Glock hasn't ever not made a problem with a Gen 4 right. The added features are worth the potential hassle, which is still unlikely.

Half of Taurus guns get sent back, but idiots still buy em. Just sayin.....

High Altitude
03-07-12, 18:29
The problem is that they have a generation 4 extractors which are a piece of crap. Just bought one Saturday, and it has erratic ejection.

Are you talking about a glock 26?

glocktogo
03-07-12, 21:08
I went ahead and placed the order today with the LE distributor. They are on order with Glock currently, so what I'll finally get will be the latest available iteration of the platform. I'll probably run a thousand rounds or so through it before putting it into rotation. Perhaps by then Apex will have their Glock extractors available, because I'm leery of MIM parts. Sure, they can be fine, but they can also be crap if improperly made.

Alaskapopo
03-08-12, 00:28

Early Gen 4's had issues but that seems to be less and less of an issue. How long does it take before people will trust them. My Gen 4 17 has not stopped yet with 500 rounds so far and I plan on putting a hell of a lot more rounds through it.
Pat

Jfkudla
03-08-12, 07:50
Gen. 4 Glock 26 is an outstanding platform. Highly recommended.

mizer67
03-08-12, 08:17
Early Gen 4's had issues but that seems to be less and less of an issue. How long does it take before people will trust them. My Gen 4 17 has not stopped yet with 500 rounds so far and I plan on putting a hell of a lot more rounds through it.
Pat

I trust mine, now.

My early Gen 4 17 was problematic. First several K rounds were frustrating. After a trip to Glock for a new ejector and extractor, I have about ~17K total with no malfs. but those I encountered prior to the fix at Glock.

I get a casing to the face once in ~300 rounds over the last few K, but I'm not above thinking my thumb could be dragging on the slide.

moonshot
03-08-12, 08:21
The gen 4 model has the interchangeable back straps and different mag release.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the new back strap mandate a new frame, which in turn mandated a new and shorter trigger bar?

I believe trigger bars are not interchangeable between Gen 4's and all previous generations. Not sure if the locking block has been tweeked as well.

In addition, the Gen 4's (and late production Gen 3's) come with the "new and improved" extractor. These also seem to be central to the reliability concerns many have with the Gen 4's.

I haven't shot a Gen 4 so I can't comment one way or the other with first hand experience. They do feel nice in the hand, though. Still, with all the internet chatter, I'd be skeptical of the Gen 4 if I was looking for a new Glock and would look hard for an early Gen 3.

glocktogo
03-08-12, 12:29
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the new back strap mandate a new frame, which in turn mandated a new and shorter trigger bar?

I believe trigger bars are not interchangeable between Gen 4's and all previous generations. Not sure if the locking block has been tweeked as well.

In addition, the Gen 4's (and late production Gen 3's) come with the "new and improved" extractor. These also seem to be central to the reliability concerns many have with the Gen 4's.

I haven't shot a Gen 4 so I can't comment one way or the other with first hand experience. They do feel nice in the hand, though. Still, with all the internet chatter, I'd be skeptical of the Gen 4 if I was looking for a new Glock and would look hard for an early Gen 3.

In this case, "new" is a literal translation and "improved" means "improving Glock's bottom line". :(

High Altitude
03-08-12, 20:17
trigger bars are interchangable. First thing I did with my gen4 19 is put in a gen3 17 trigger w/trigger bar. No issues.

moonshot
03-08-12, 22:20
trigger bars are interchangable. First thing I did with my gen4 19 is put in a gen3 17 trigger w/trigger bar. No issues.

Thank you for the info - I had thought the trigger bar on the Gen 4's was too short to fit in earlier Gen frames. Something to do with the need to redesign the trigger bar to fit in the shortened frame (shortened from back strap to trigger).

Just out of idle curiosity, why did you take a Gen 3 G17 trigger bar assembly and place it in a Gen 4 G19? Just to see if you could, or was there some operartional reason for doing so?

High Altitude
03-08-12, 23:03
Thank you for the info - I had thought the trigger bar on the Gen 4's was too short to fit in earlier Gen frames. Something to do with the need to redesign the trigger bar to fit in the shortened frame (shortened from back strap to trigger).

Just out of idle curiosity, why did you take a Gen 3 G17 trigger bar assembly and place it in a Gen 4 G19? Just to see if you could, or was there some operartional reason for doing so?

Glock redesigned the trigger housing to accommodate the shorter frame.

I changed out the trigger w/trigger bar in order to get a smooth faced trigger instead of the serrated trigger.

It also gets rid of the small bump on the side of the firing pin safety portion of the trigger bar. I believe this reduces the trigger weight a little bit.