PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend me an accurate .22LR

Univibe
10-21-11, 15:47
I need an accurate .22. I don't have $1800 for an Anschutz. I did buy a CZ 452 but it was defective and I never got it to fire a shot. So I'm still looking. Any ideas?

gun71530
10-21-11, 16:13
I would look at a Ruger 10/22. They have decent accuracy and there is a ton of aftermarket shit available.

austinN4
10-21-11, 16:47
I would look at a Ruger 10/22.
Pretty sure he is asking about 22LR bolt guns.

D.O.A.F.S.
10-21-11, 18:36
Take a look at the Savage MK II TR, accurate, priced reasonable, and has alot of nice features rite out of the box.

PlatoCATM
10-21-11, 20:01
I would also suggest the Savage Mark II for the quality, price, and accuracy. I have a similar model to the above with the threaded barrel and accu-trigger. It came with the scope mount so I could do some skill building reading wind and calculating drop at 50+ yds. I need to wring it out still, but it's proven accurate enough for my purposes. Also, I can buy a similar iron-sighted model and have magazine compatibility and a quick handling little bolt .22.

DOAFS -- what scope do you have on yours?

Artos
10-21-11, 20:38
452's will be hit or miss but really depends on your expectations of accuracy & your ammo budget. The CZ may still be your best bet.

If you can find a clean Remmy 541T, they are really good.

The anschutz 64 is no slouch either & good clean used ones do come up.

Not sure what your bedget is but if you are wanting bug holes at 50yds consistantly, then $5-$10 per box ammo is normally the order of the day.

D.O.A.F.S.
10-21-11, 20:48
I would also suggest the Savage Mark II for the quality, price, and accuracy. I have a similar model to the above with the threaded barrel and accu-trigger. It came with the scope mount so I could do some skill building reading wind and calculating drop at 50+ yds. I need to wring it out still, but it's proven accurate enough for my purposes. Also, I can buy a similar iron-sighted model and have magazine compatibility and a quick handling little bolt .22.

DOAFS -- what scope do you have on yours?

Yeh, the TR has the accu-trigger as well, along with a flutted heavy barrel. Heres a link to Savages website to show specs.. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIITR . I bought everything new and still have less then $800.00 in it. At 50 yards it will shoot 10 round groups under 1 1/4 inches all day and at 100 yards it opens up to a little over 3 inches (10 rounds). I consider myself an average shooter at best and am sure the gun is more capable then me. There's alot of good reading over on The Snipers Hide on the TR if your interested. My build list....
Savage Mark II TR
DIP Products Inc. 25 MOA scope rail
TPS 30mm rings
Mueller 4.5-14x 40 APT Tactical Scope with 30mm tube
Harris bipod

anthony1
10-22-11, 01:06
l shoot 22lrs almost everyday. I'd get a savage BV mark ll can be found for less than 300 if you look around. Only other option is CZ. Marlin and Ruger are ok but on average Savage is the best bang for buck.

What happened with the CZ? CZ's are the best 22lrs until you get into anschutz $'s. Can the cz not be fixed, if so stick with that.

I have 3 marlins, 5 savages, 1 rem40x, 1 rem 541t, 1 kimber 82g, 2 CZ's, and 1 win52.

I've shot rimfires since l was 5yo, (about 25 years now). 99% of the time l recomend Savage or CZ, the main difference being the CZ is a little better made. The Savage mag well area and magazines are lackluster and the bottom metal is so bad it flat out needs replaced.

Accuracy wise they are both usually sub moa right out of the box, but like anything mass produced results will vary. Typically CZ's are reputed to be slightly more accurate, that being said your average shooter probably would never see the difference.

The "difference" would typically only be seen by a benchrest type shooter who shoots alot and is good enough to actually discern a .1 difference in group size over hundreds if not thousands of shots, to actually say one way or the other. Just plinking or hunting in field conditions l dont think anyone in the world could tell an accuracy difference.

Univibe
10-22-11, 10:15
Ok, guys, I bought a 10/22 last night. The regular carbine version. I figured for $200 I could hardly lose. The flip up sights are awful, but I always planned on scoping it; I already have a 4x scope I can mount. I'll take it to the range ASAP and check it out. I understand that there are lots of upgrade parts out there, like a heavy target barrel.

austinN4
10-22-11, 10:53
Pretty sure he is asking about 22LR bolt guns.
I take it back.

greatnw
10-22-11, 12:46
I understand that there are lots of upgrade parts out there, like a heavy target barrel.

That's a major understatement. If you can think it they make it for the 10/22 :dance3: Congrats on the rifle and let us know how it shoots for you. My single favorite aftermarket part is the Volquartsen Recoil Buffer(its cheap too). I like to shoot hyper velocity stuff at water bottles etc. and before the buffer it sounded like I was hitting my bolt with a hammer every shot, now its much quieter and dare I say recoils less :lol:

TomD
10-22-11, 14:49
Too bad you didn't hold out for a 'T' (heavy barrel) model. Mine may be an exception but it is MOA w/good ammo and the trigger is certainly usable. I haven't messed with the trigger on mine which is HIGHLY unusual.

montanadave
10-22-11, 15:18
Ok, guys, I bought a 10/22 last night. The regular carbine version. I figured for $200 I could hardly lose. The flip up sights are awful, but I always planned on scoping it; I already have a 4x scope I can mount. I'll take it to the range ASAP and check it out. I understand that there are lots of upgrade parts out there, like a heavy target barrel.

Check out the RimfireCentral forum (http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)

The 10/22 section there should provide enough ideas to burn through your savings account several times over. :smile:

Dickn52
10-25-11, 19:57
I shoot a D52 in a MacMillan beaded stock, with <3 oz set trigger posted. It also has a wind tunnel attached to the barrel, to allow for bullet stabelization prior to wind getting to it at the crown. I shoot repeat holes at 50yds all day long.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii267/dickn52/wind52.jpg

Javelin
10-25-11, 20:20
Glad you are happy with the 10/22... Good semi auto. But for accuracy and price point right now I would say the savage mark ii fv-sr (threaded barrel included)

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/71899

https://s3.amazonaws.com/savagefiles/firearms/markiifvsr.png

$273 delivered from many different suppliers.

Ark1443
10-27-11, 06:42

Hey, what's wrong with its flip up sights! I got to where I could shoot a quarter sized hole at 25 yards with it a year ago after some practice... :confused:

Standing...

It's a good gun and loves to be fed. As others have mentioned you also have the perk of all of the aftermarket accessories now.

Univibe
10-27-11, 20:40
To answer the question, the CZ 452 was defective out of the box. The bolt would only go into the receiver about an inch, and then got too tight. It looked like a poorly-machined receiver. The store I bought it from wanted quite a bit of money to try to fix it. I called CZ customer service and they wanted me to pay shipping UPS both ways, no guarantee they wouldn't charge me for the repair.

I figured this was throwing good money after bad; if someone started reaming on the receiver, it'd destroy any accuracy the gun might have had.

I smelled a rat with CZ. There was a target in the box with the serial number of my rifle written on it. It showed an extremely small group at 25 meters. Funny thing, how would you get a group of any size out of a gun whose bolt wouldn't go into the receiver? Somebody must have been kidding.

So I sold the stock and the magazines over the net. The rest of it went in the dumpster. I'm $400 poorer but wiser in the ways of euro-trash guns.

I just bought a 10/22. I already had the scope from the CZ deal; I hope I have better luck with the Ruger.

Eliakim
11-05-11, 16:54
So I sold the stock and the magazines over the net. The rest of it went in the dumpster. I'm $400 poorer but wiser in the ways of euro-trash guns.

I had a tear run down my cheek when I read about the CZ-452 barreled action chucked in the dumpster :cray:
I have a Varmint version of that rifle that I bought a few years ago for abut $330 USD. My CZ rimfire is a sweet accurate little rifle that didn't break the bank. My father even got upset that the low budget CZ would shoot better than his Anschutz big $$$ rimfire rifle so he sold the Anschutz and bought a CZ.

Too bad the receiver was defective and bolt wouldn't fit in your rifle. The manual that comes with the rifle from CZ is not clear about this, but the firing pin needs to be cocked before the bolt can be completely inserted in the action. I hope this was not the problem in your case.

Hmac
11-05-11, 17:29
I have a Ruger 10-22 Target Tactical, paid $435 including a couple of 25 round mags, not including the 4-9x scope. That rifle and the 10-22 Target model come with a hammer-forged heavy barrel and a Ruger target trigger. Although better than the standard 10-22 trigger, it was still a stiff pull so I upgraded the trigger group with a Volquartsen ($189 - 2.5 lb pull) and that gun is astonishingly accurate using CCI subsonic or Winchester Super X high speed (i.e. the proverbial "ragged hole" at 100 yards).

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Tactical/images/1230.jpg

Polymerhead
11-05-11, 19:10
How accurate do you want? I am starting to get sub-1/2" 5-shot groups out of my Savage MKII BV at 50 yds. The thing cost me like $220 on sale at a big box outdoor shop. HArd to beat for the price.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Polymerhead/Targets92511.jpg

bm176
11-06-11, 03:58
wow, sorry to hear of your dilema with the cz 452, actually thats the first particular problem i heard of regarding the 452. i have had the experience of owning 5 cz firearms 3 of them being bolt actions never had any issues what so ever, and just recently picked up a ultra-lux. this is some of my shots
best shots on its first day out
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/kadiindo/019-5.jpg
some shots w/different ammo 25y/irons
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/kadiindo/002-4.jpg
just in case you decide on giving the cz another chance

Irish
11-06-11, 10:26
Glad you are happy with the 10/22... Good semi auto. But for accuracy and price point right now I would say the savage mark ii fv-sr (threaded barrel included)

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/71899

https://s3.amazonaws.com/savagefiles/firearms/markiifvsr.png

$273 delivered from many different suppliers.

I like the looks of that and it's nice to see manufacturers offering threaded barrels right out of the gate. The Savage 64 TRR-SR looks to be the semi-auto version with the threaded barrel and not a bad price at MSRP $315.

Todd.K
11-06-11, 12:46
I smelled a rat with CZ. There was a target in the box with the serial number of my rifle written on it. It showed an extremely small group at 25 meters. Funny thing, how would you get a group of any size out of a gun whose bolt wouldn't go into the receiver? Somebody must have been kidding.

So I sold the stock and the magazines over the net. The rest of it went in the dumpster.

Unfortunately you threw away a functional or easily repairable rifle. All CZ rifles are inspected and proof fired by a third party proof house so the bolt was capable of fitting in the receiver.

anthony1
11-07-11, 00:50
I dont understand, so you purchased the rifle without even working the bolt a few times or what? Always go over any firearm you are considering buying (short of field stripping the thing and even that if they will let you).

I'm thinking you threw away a perfectly fine rifle, (sounds like you just didnt have the firing pin cocked). When you took out the bolt did you twist the bolt around at all, l've done it just wiping the bolt off then when you try to put it back in it dont fit. Even so if your rifle was legitimately defective you would rather throw it away then pay shipping, doesn't add up to me ?

Spengo
11-09-11, 16:38
I use a CZ-452, it's laser-beam accurate. I've never had a single malfunction of any sort either. It even feeds if I load the magazines with .22 short!

If that dumpster hasn't gone off to the landfill yet I'd be happy to take it off your hands for ya... I'll pay for shipping! :D

Pork Chop
11-09-11, 16:47
Another vote for the Savage mkII.

readyme
11-09-11, 18:48
This is my dream 22. I have a Marlin 60 that works, and it just over $100. Though I want the 10/22 Tactical, I simply can't justify the cost right now.

I have a Ruger 10-22 Target Tactical, paid $435 including a couple of 25 round mags, not including the 4-9x scope. That rifle and the 10-22 Target model come with a hammer-forged heavy barrel and a Ruger target trigger. Although better than the standard 10-22 trigger, it was still a stiff pull so I upgraded the trigger group with a Volquartsen ($189 - 2.5 lb pull) and that gun is astonishingly accurate using CCI subsonic or Winchester Super X high speed (i.e. the proverbial "ragged hole" at 100 yards).

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Tactical/images/1230.jpg

Univibe
11-09-11, 19:01
To answer the questions, yeah, you have to cock the bolt before you can insert it in the receiver. That was done. I took the 452 back to where I bought it, and the gunsmith there checked it out. He diagnosed machining as the problem. It would have cost a lot of money to try to fix it there, and I didn't want to spend any more trying to make it work.

I'm not tolling or bashing CZ, anybody can make a bad one now and then. But I did think it was odd that the target had been shot by "my" rifle, which neither I nor the smith could assemble.

No more for me. I'll be trying out my new 10/22 next week. I hope it works.

austinN4
11-09-11, 21:20
I have a Marlin 60 that works, and it just over $100.
I have a Model 60 and it was a tack driver right out of the box. It fully meets my needs for a 22 semi-auto. I am considering, however, a 22 boltl, probably the CZ, for a training companion to my 308 bolt.