PDA

View Full Version : Rail question???

das028
11-20-07, 08:16
I'm currently looking to get some type of rail for my Stag. I plan on taking a training course, and want to mount a light on my weapon. My question is what are the advantages of the free float rail system, as opposed to the two piece rails tha MI makes? The free float rails seem to be a significant amount of more money than the two piece rails. I'm definitely not a "gear queer", and I dont want to spend the extra 150+ on something that is not needed. Thanks int advance fellas:)

markm
11-20-07, 08:25
Grant (GandRtactical) has the blemished KAC RAS systems for a good price.

I bought one and am very happy. I couldn't find anything but maybe some minor finish flaws on the unit.

The Daniel Defense Omega is what most people need to be seen sporting lately. To me, free floating on a short range weapon is not a must have though.

das028
11-20-07, 09:43
The Daniel Defense Omega is what most people need to be seen sporting lately. To me, free floating on a short range weapon is not a must have though.

Whats your reasoning?

C4IGrant
11-20-07, 09:51
FF a rail is never a bad idea, but you might not get the reward out of that you want.

Here is my simple rule of thumg, if you can or can afford to pay someone to do it, get a one piece FF rail.

If you want a FF rail, but cannot do or afford to have someone install it, then look at a two piece FF rail (DD, MI, Troy, VLTOR).

The blemished KAC RAS deal we have going is really a great deal and would work well with your Stag.

C4

das028
11-20-07, 09:59
FF a rail is never a bad idea, but you might not get the reward out of that you want.

Here is my simple rule of thumg, if you can or can afford to pay someone to do it, get a one piece FF rail.

If you want a FF rail, but cannot do or afford to have someone install it, then look at a two piece FF rail (DD, MI, Troy, VLTOR).

The blemished KAC RAS deal we have going is really a great deal and would work well with your Stag.

C4

"The blemished KAC RAS deal we have going is really a great deal and would work well with your Stag."

Is this something I can install myself, like the two piece?

What is the benefit of the FF rail as opposed to the two piece?

Also out of all those two piece rails you suggested, which one do you like?

C4IGrant
11-20-07, 10:11
"The blemished KAC RAS deal we have going is really a great deal and would work well with your Stag."

Is this something I can install myself, like the two piece?

What is the benefit of the FF rail as opposed to the two piece?

Also out of all those two piece rails you suggested, which one do you like?

Yes. The KAC RAS is non free floating and very easy to install.

Remember that there are two types of FF rails. Two piece and one piece. A one piece FF rail is generally going to be more rigid than a two piece. They also tend to be lighter.

For two piece NON FF rails, the KAC RAS is king, followed by the MI.

For two piece FF rails, the DD Omega is my favority followed by the Troy and the MI.

C4

das028
11-20-07, 10:14
Cool deal. Thanks for learning me fellas:)

markm
11-20-07, 10:26
Whats your reasoning?

Free floating is never a bad thing. But for my uses, I really won't realize any significant benefit. I was checking POI shift on my new silencer and mount, and with the KAC my M4 was still shooting the best groups of my life using XM193 ammo. (about 2MOA with the can mounted at 100 yards, and really close to 2MOA unsuppressed)

ZGXtreme
11-20-07, 10:39
Having used the KAC system on my M16's I would highly recommend them. You state that you want to take a training course so I am going to assume that you are not worried about looks and are wanting something reliable and tough. If I am correct, I would recommend you go with the package Grant. Combine the reliability of the KAC with Grant's service and you will not be dissapointed.