PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a Retention system Holster for a M&P 9 Pro

Tzoid
10-21-11, 20:25
I have a M&P 9 Pro 5" and I'm interested in a Retention system holster for training. Black Hawk Serpa holsters are not an option.

G-Code looks nice but no go on the 5" Pro. If you know of any other options please post a link or model number.

Thanks

polydeuces
10-21-11, 22:01
Regular Safariland would work if you don't mind having abit of the slide/barrel exposed
Will try to upload pic shortly.
Have mine mounted in a leg-rig, so the part of the barrel peeping out of the holster is covered.

polydeuces
10-21-11, 23:02
picks added.

Tzoid
10-22-11, 00:47
How does the retention work on that holster? I was thinking more like the hood on the SLS System. I currently have a BladeTech that works great but I don't want it falling out when I'm running drills with my carbine.

BaronFitz
10-22-11, 04:47
Take a look this link: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=56530

I used the 6004 for the HK45 as described, and it's a great fit with no barrel protrusion. The only catch for you might be that this particular holster is light compatible... Don't know if you want to run with a light mounted.

rjacobs
10-22-11, 09:10
How does the retention work on that holster? I was thinking more like the hood on the SLS System.

That is an SLS holster if I am not mistaken. Has a thumb retention device that grabs onto the ejection port.

If the only reason you want active retention is to keep the gun from falling out and not to keep somebody else from getting the gun, then IMO a kydex rig is the way to go. Raven, Atomic Dog, Peters, etc...

They dont have active retention, but they are plenty tight to keep the gun from coming loose. I have never felt my guns were going to fall out of any of the kydex holsters I run. There was a video somewhere of a guy riding a BMX bike in a half pipe or course of some kind and doing flips and what not and the gun stayed perfectly in the holster.

polydeuces
10-22-11, 09:28
Ooops - forgot to point that out, yes it does have the thumb-release, which is very solid in retention, yet very fast and easy in release.
By the way - I also have an el-cheapo Uncle Mike's "plastic" holster (don't think it's kydex), both for a Sig 226 and M&P9, rock solid. These are simply held by tension. With the tension screw it's really easy to adjust, and it is rock solid.
I believe CDNN has them for 9.99 (but call now....and wait, there's more....)

kcmo83
10-22-11, 14:33
Are you all referring to the ALS (thumb 'button') or SLS (rotating hood)? The pictures seem to be of the ALS persuasion (which I happen to absolutely prefer over the SLS).

rjacobs
10-22-11, 15:18
Are you all referring to the ALS (thumb 'button') or SLS (rotating hood)? The pictures seem to be of the ALS persuasion (which I happen to absolutely prefer over the SLS).

yea sorry about that, meant ALS. Ive got one of the ALS M&P holsters that I never use. Looking it over I guess I dont really see, without cutting the bottom off, that the long slide would fit. If you cut about 1/2" off the bottom on a band saw it would be no problem, just hang out the bottom.

turdbocharged
10-25-11, 14:31
I prefer the ALS to the SLS. Have used it in a couple classes so far and it hasn't had an issue whatsoever. It locks in very secure and the thumb release lever doesn't seem to slow me down much at all.

B Cart
10-25-11, 17:35
I agree that the ALS is a great option for a good retention holster. I like the thumb release of the ALS much better than the hood style, and I think the thumb retention offers better retention than the hood anyway.

And I must say, it's good to see you've done your homework and aren't rushing to get a SERPA like so many out there:lol:

SMJayman
10-26-11, 10:28
Another thumbs up for the ALS, I've carried in both an ALS and a SLS, my 100% preference is the ALS. I believe it is more secure and it is faster to draw from as well. Also when you re-holster the retention automatically engages. I can't tell you how often I see cops walking around with their hoods down, having no idea that they have no retention on their gun.

Backstop
10-26-11, 11:20
Good thread; I'm ditching the SLS, and probably going ALS.

Doing some reading this week to verify the ALS' reliability, functioning, etc.

3 times now, the hood has opened on me.

Twice during classes, while crawling.

3rd time I'm not sure what opened it.

Smash
11-09-11, 12:21
I have an SLS for the issued M9 and an ALS for my personal m&p's. The ALS will fit all three versions(pro/reg/C). I like the ALS much better. The only thing I had to get used to was the release movement to the rear on the ALS when I was used to the forward movement of the SLS.