PDA

View Full Version : Mounting T1 on DD Micro Mount Problem

Devildawg2531
10-21-11, 20:44
This feels like a really dumb question (probably is) but I have googled several times with no success. After spending 2 hours trying to figure this out...

So I have mounted my DD Micro Mount on my DD rifle. My Aimpoint T1 arrived today and I can't mount the T1 on the Micro Mount. I removed the Base of the T1 and it seats firmly on the Micro Mount but the 4 screws for the base aren't long enough to engage the Aimpoint holes. I am missing something?

Thanks

acaixguard
10-21-11, 20:55
I had the same problem recently with 2 of the holes. Check to make sure the threads near the hole opening have not been stripped in any way. Apparently it is very easy to do.
A good test is to press the screw into a hole at the bottom of the sight, and it should sort of "catch", with just the very slightest turn of the screw. If it does not catch immediately, most likely the screw hole has been stripped.

Call up Aimpoint if this is the case and they can likely try to work with you. This is what I have done last week. Only catch is, you may have to wait 6-9 weeks if they were to replace your unit.

Devildawg2531
10-21-11, 21:15
The base screws for the aimpoint are very small. Maybe 3 mm; but definetly aren't stripped as I've only dropped them into the DD micro mount. Wierd I can mount the DD micro mount to the rifle or I can mount the T1 with base to the rifle (but it's too low that way with the front sight in the way). My problem is when I put the T1 on the DD mount. It seems like there should be a longer set of screws included - but no other hardware came with either.

Skang
10-22-11, 02:22
It's possible you got co-witness screws for 1/3 lower co-witness base?

Failure2Stop
10-22-11, 04:55
How much of the screw is exposed above the engagement surface of the mount when they are pushed all the way in without the optic on the mount?

Devildawg2531
10-22-11, 09:34
How much of the screw is exposed above the engagement surface of the mount when they are pushed all the way in without the optic on the mount?

Without the optic the base screws extend approximately 1.5mm past the mount. I am using the 4 base screws that attached the T1 to it's base - the DD Micro Mount didn't ship with any mount screws (only the 2 that attach it to the rifle). I'm thinking the DD Micro Mount was supposed to ship with 4 base screws? The DD mount didn't arrive with any instructional paperwork either so I'm thinking the package was shorted.

nimdabew
10-22-11, 10:52
Doesn't the DD mount come with its own screws like the Larue mount does? The stock Aimpoint screws aren't long enough, but the Larue ones are.

Devildawg2531
10-22-11, 18:21
Doesn't the DD mount come with its own screws like the Larue mount does? The stock Aimpoint screws aren't long enough, but the Larue ones are.

I didn't know that the DD mount was supposed to come with the 4 base screws(this is my 1st T1 and DD mount). Anyway I contacted Midway and to get the 4 screws I have to return the whole mount and wait for the replacement. So I contacted DD and asked for if they could ship me the 4 screws; my rifle is a DD and the mount is a DD and since I live in GA I figure the screws plus shipping would cost them about .50 cents. Kind of in a rush to get these as my club has a 3 gun coming up and I need to get the T1 mounted abd sighted in.

Anyway I'm waiting on DD's response if not I will do the Midway return and replacement RMA of the whole mount.

RPD03
10-22-11, 19:22
I'm sure DD will take care of you. I've dealt with them a few times on very minor things and they have always taken care of me.

saddlerocker
10-24-11, 11:39
I just received my Aimpoint H-1 and DD tall mount from Grant at G&RTactical

I read this thread yesterday before it arrived and was worried. But mine installed fine with the factory screws.
They grabbed the Aimpoint through the DD mount, I applied a drop of blue loctite on the screws per DD instructions.

You sure they wont grab? you have to use a regular allen key, not the Aimpoint tool.
I had to drop the screw in the mount and turn it about 2 rotations before it lined up and began to thread.

Devildawg2531
10-24-11, 19:43
I just received my Aimpoint H-1 and DD tall mount from Grant at G&RTactical

I read this thread yesterday before it arrived and was worried. But mine installed fine with the factory screws.
They grabbed the Aimpoint through the DD mount, I applied a drop of blue loctite on the screws per DD instructions.

You sure they wont grab? you have to use a regular allen key, not the Aimpoint tool.
I had to drop the screw in the mount and turn it about 2 rotations before it lined up and began to thread.

I talked to DD today and no additional screws are shipped with the DD mount. Saddlerocker how much of the screw sticks below the the mount?

saddlerocker
10-24-11, 20:03
Cant say for sure, its loctited in there now, and I didnt think to check that.
I just put the Aimpoint in the mount and turned it upside down, dropped a screw in and began to thread it. It felt like about 3-4 threads grab.

All I can think of is make sure the optic is seated correctly in the mount.
Something must be off, is the Aimpoint New?

Devildawg2531
10-24-11, 20:58
Cant say for sure, its loctited in there now, and I didnt think to check that.
I just put the Aimpoint in the mount and turned it upside down, dropped a screw in and began to thread it. It felt like about 3-4 threads grab.

All I can think of is make sure the optic is seated correctly in the mount.
Something must be off, is the Aimpoint New?

Yes the Aimpoint T1 is new.

saddlerocker
10-24-11, 21:14
you said you have the DD mount on the rifle already?
I dont see how you can install it that way

Make sure you have a normal allen key of the correct size, take the mount off the rifle and turn it upside down and drop the screws in and see if it will work.