PDA

View Full Version : To sell or not to sell.....

duece71
10-22-11, 16:02
All,
I have a fairly new Beretta 92FS that has maybe 3-400 rounds through it. Honestly, I like the gun. Despite its size, it fits my hand well and I have never had a problem with it as far as FTF FTE and so forth. I never intended it as a carry gun, only a gun that I would use at the range or maybe with some dedicated training classes.
It is a gun that is becoming more and more of a safe queen. I recently posted about selling a BHP to attain a Glock G19 for CC. Well, I kept the BHP, bought the G19 and now find that there is no real reason to have 4 different 9mm platforms. I bought the Beretta because I have always wanted one (having shot many before) and decided to buy when they were on sale at my LGS.
What say all of you?? The funds from the sale would be for my Glocks and 1911s, specifically for more magazines and ammo for both platforms. I am trying to narrow down and thin my gun selections based more on using than just collecting. The Beretta is never going to be collectable (one would hope).
Thank you for your input.

n517rv
10-22-11, 16:12
I say sell it, but of course I'm a glock fan and I never liked shooting the 92... Didn't feel good in my hand. To each his own I suppose.

Sent from my Sprint EVO via Tapatalk

maximus83
10-22-11, 17:35
It's hard to tell someone else what to do as far as selling. Some folks might regret selling a gun sometime in the future. Some friends of mine have the approach of never selling a gun (they also tend to collect a lot of clutter and a lot of unused gear, which I think is nuts). I can tell you that I'm a big fan of selling stuff you don't use (Or don't need or don't have a big personal attachment to. An exception would be a Grandfather's WWII 1911 or something). If there no's compelling reason to keep something, I tend to thin it out and then use the funds to buy ammo, training, or better quality gear that I WILL use. I recently just sold several nice guns that were good deals for somebody else, but for me, not so much because I was no longer using them. I used the funds to get a nicer optic I'd been waiting for, and to build a new upper around a BCM barrel and a Centurion rail.

If you aren't USING the Beretta actively, and have no strong ties to it, I guess I'd say sell if it were me. In general, I like your idea of narrowing done to fewer pistols. Stick to fewer pistol platforms, train more and get better on those, rather than collecting more that you don't use. That's what I'm trying to put into practice as well.

Vlobb
10-22-11, 18:45
If you aren't USING the Beretta actively, and have no strong ties to it, I guess I'd say sell if it were me. In general, I like your idea of narrowing done to fewer pistols. Stick to fewer pistol platforms, train more and get better on those, rather than collecting more that you don't use. That's what I'm trying to put into practice as well.

I second this. ^^^

I got rid of an Beretta 84FS and several other pistols I had but rarely shot, then put the money towards more ammo and gear for the pistols I want to concentrate on shooting the most. I had to many different pistols/platforms and I was never able to get really good with any one of them. I've since shifted over to mostly Glock and my shooting has gotten way better.

Outrider
10-22-11, 18:49
I agree with Maximus83's last paragraph. -I have owned a Beretta in the past. It worked reliably and I was able to shoot it accurately but it never really clicked for me. I sold it. No regrets.

Denali
10-22-11, 23:35
I think of the Beretta 92FS(Italian manufactured)as one the three or four best 9mm pistols ever made, however some folks just can't make a connection with them, for whatever the reason.

If you're not strapped for cash, and you actually like the pistol, then keep it! The 92FS is one of the slickest pistols made, sooner or later it'll be singing your name...:)

Nephrology
10-23-11, 00:56
Sell it. If you are going to use a pistol for anything beyond looking at or playing with and want to develop an actual skillset then focus on one system that appeals to you. I still have a 1911 i keep around sort of sentimentally but all of my ammo is fed through 1 of my 3 9mm glocks.

elnino31
10-23-11, 13:30
I say sell.

The first gun I ever bought was a beretta 92f. I went back and forth about selling. Finally, sold it and have never regretted it. I think they are beautiful pistols, but I didn't like the feel of it. Plus I had many FTF's with it. It would not feed hollow points reliably. Plain and simple, I had zero confidence in it and back then I really liked Sigs (Still do, I guess)

But your reasons are your own. Having a few extra wilson mags or quality holsters will make you forget that thing quickly.:D

duece71
10-23-11, 13:37
Having the Beretta is not really a burden, although money for other platforms would be nice. The gun has 6 mags, some are Beretta factory (with the "PB" marked on the bottom of the mag) and the others are made by a sub contractor that makes Beretta mags (no PB mark but they say made in italy) This is a tough decision. I think the honest thing to do would be to sell it and concentrate on the Glock platforms as the "user" pistols. I can't see why I need to have 4 9mm platforms. The Beretta is not going to be carried in anyway.

deercop
10-23-11, 14:13
With very limited exceptions, sooner or later I've always regretted selling or trading away reliable firearms.

BigBen66
10-23-11, 18:31
The BHP,G19,and the Beretta are all good weapons. But if you are thinning the heard,the Beretta would be the first to go.

jaxman7
10-23-11, 19:13
I think it also may boil down to a financial decision. I WANT an M9 because it is a military firearm and I like collecting anything military. With that said I know if I had one it would not be a safe queen because I would want to get proficient with it. That means gun specific holsters and of course magazines. Besides a .22 I solely shoot M&P handguns because that's the gun I've settled on and that's the gun I carry and shoot competitions with. I practice as much as free time will allow. With buying another handgun I would have to practice twice as much (not to mention the different manual of arms, especially on a Beretta vs a Glock) to become proficient in that one as well. This is something I cannot do because of time and money constraints and won't do because I want to focus all my efforts on becoming master of one and not jack of all trades.
Financially if you could afford it I'd say keep it and make it a safe queen. I always regret selling guns if its not a P.O.S. but if you can, sell it and continually try to master that Glock. If that's the gun you carry then that's the gun you'll potentially save your or your families lives one day with. Makes sense to devote as much time to that gun than the others.

ralph
10-23-11, 21:23
Having the Beretta is not really a burden, although money for other platforms would be nice. The gun has 6 mags, some are Beretta factory (with the "PB" marked on the bottom of the mag) and the others are made by a sub contractor that makes Beretta mags (no PB mark but they say made in italy) This is a tough decision. I think the honest thing to do would be to sell it and concentrate on the Glock platforms as the "user" pistols. I can't see why I need to have 4 9mm platforms. The Beretta is not going to be carried in anyway.

I think you've answered your question..For a long time I "collected" and also had a C&R, which made things that much worse..I've now got 2 safes full of rifles/handguns I rarely use.Sure, there's a few I'll always keep, But, I've been thinning the herd as time allows, and now it looks like I'll have some time to get rid of some more rifles, handguns I no longer use. I look at it this way,By selling a rifle/handgun I no longer use, Hopefully, it'll get sold to someone who will use it, They were made to be used,not to sit in a safe..

samuse
10-23-11, 21:31
I am trying to narrow down and thin my gun selections based more on using than just collecting. The Beretta is never going to be collectable (one would hope).
Thank you for your input.

I've been doing the same thing.

I used to have Glocks, XDs, Hi Powers, Beretta, CZ, 1911s, revolvers.

For the past couple of years I've been slowly but steadily thinning everything out and the 9mm Glocks are all that I am keeping.

I say sell it.

scubadds
10-26-11, 11:52
I also have a 92, given to me by a good friend for graduation from college. He has the serial number one down from mine. Its a nice shooting gun, I've not sold it partially due to the sentimental attachment; but I thought it would make a smooth 9mm for my kids when they are older, or for my wife, etc.

But I have sold lots of other guns along the way to fund other guns.
I used to have lots of "odd" H&Ks ( MK23, P7M8) but got tired or random mags. Decided to keep the 1911 and revolvers but trim down the odd semi's towards glocks.

Guinnessman
10-26-11, 15:13
Unless you have a sentimental attachment to your Beretta 92, I would sell it to fund another purchase, ammo, or a class.

I had a CZ-75b that fit my hand like a glove, was reliable, and accurate. It was a great pistol and I never had any problems with the CZ. I sold it to buy another Glock, since Glocks seem to work best for me.

duece71
10-26-11, 20:31
With very limited exceptions, sooner or later I've always regretted selling or trading away reliable firearms.

Honestly I think this is what is really holding me back. I have 2 serious calibers for handguns (9mm and .45) now I just need to get the number of guns down to a more reasonable level. 3 different 9mm platforms does not make a whole lot of sense. However I only have 2 different platforms for .45 (Colt and Sig) and that to me in my opinion is more reasonable. Being proficient in essentially 5 different platforms sounds like a lot. I know, I am thinking way too much about this. Then again, if it were that easy to rationalize, we would all have perfect lives.............:rolleyes:
Thanks to all for your replies.

straitR
10-26-11, 21:16
Keep it. If it was a 96 and you were consolidating calibers, that's one thing, but it's still a caliber you're supporting. Just because you own it doesn't mean you have to be an expert in it's use or must have 20 mags for it. Put it back in your safe, and bring it out now and again to have some fun. Save up money for more Glock/1911 mags, ammo, or training. Don't cannibalize your collection for instant satisfaction just because today you don't have that warm and fuzzy feeling about the 92 that you once had. Sooner or later a friend will buy one or you'll be sitting around and the Lethal Weapon marathon will come on and you'll get the same feeling about the 92 that inspired you to purchase it.

My experience, anyway.

duece71
10-27-11, 05:57
Keep it. If it was a 96 and you were consolidating calibers, that's one thing, but it's still a caliber you're supporting. Just because you own it doesn't mean you have to be an expert in it's use or must have 20 mags for it. Put it back in your safe, and bring it out now and again to have some fun. Save up money for more Glock/1911 mags, ammo, or training. Don't cannibalize your collection for instant satisfaction just because today you don't have that warm and fuzzy feeling about the 92 that you once had. Sooner or later a friend will buy one or you'll be sitting around and the Lethal Weapon marathon will come on and you'll get the same feeling about the 92 that inspired you to purchase it.

My experience, anyway.

Gosh, you too? Yeah I will bring it out of the safe during that movie marathon so I can shoot all the bad guys with Mel. Heck I may even roll around on the floor like he does in that one scene......;)

Reagans Rascals
10-27-11, 06:52
I say just keep it, throw it and a few mags into your glove compartment just to have as a vehicle weapon. Maybe in a vehicle that doesn't get driven all the time if you already have the others covered.

I paid $400 for a 92FS last year for just that purpose. Too clunky to carry daily as a civilian, and I don't really like to sell my weapons once I have them unless I'm specifically selling it to purchase its replacement. So I take it to the range monthly to stay proficient with it, and when not at the range it resides in my center console. It's beat up and really shows it's use but meh.. it's like a dick.. it's built for use not for looks.

ralph
10-27-11, 07:17
Honestly I think this is what is really holding me back. I have 2 serious calibers for handguns (9mm and .45) now I just need to get the number of guns down to a more reasonable level. 3 different 9mm platforms does not make a whole lot of sense. However I only have 2 different platforms for .45 (Colt and Sig) and that to me in my opinion is more reasonable. Being proficient in essentially 5 different platforms sounds like a lot. I know, I am thinking way too much about this. Then again, if it were that easy to rationalize, we would all have perfect lives.............:rolleyes:
Thanks to all for your replies.

I would'nt let the comment you quoted in your post hold me back, I mean, you want to sell it, and use the money towards ammo, training, or just to lower the number of platforms you're trying to stay proficent with, then sell it.You're far better off staying proficent with a couple diffrent platforms rather than trying to stay proficent with 5.Trying to stay on top of 5 diffrent platforms will usually end up with you being a mediocre shot with all 5, I'd lower the number even more, 2-3 being more managable, and realistic.As far as the Beretta goes, They make 'em everyday, they're not rare or hard to find,just about every gunshow you go to has them for sale,If you sell it and regret it, and want a replacement, one is easily found. I myself had a Commerical version of the M9, nice pistol, shot well, accurate, downsides were it was huge for a 9mm IMO, difficult to carry concealed, lack of sight options, and frankly did'nt do anything better than my P-2000, or my PPQ It was a safe queen. So, I sold it, with no regrets. Anyway, it's your decision, There's alot of food for thought in this thread, Good luck.