PDA

View Full Version : G2 w/ no VFG?

roadstar
11-20-07, 16:17
I have a plane jane 6920 that I plan to put a railed forearm and light on. I'm not really a fan of VFG's and hope that I can find a way to run a simple G2 without one.

All of the mounting options I see for a G2 make it look easy to run with a thumb while holing a VFG. Can a person run a similarly mounted G2 without a VFG?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Thanks for your help.

ygbsm
11-20-07, 16:42
Sure. I have a G2 in a VTAC mount on the SF rail on my carbine alone. It works quite well for me in the roughly 11 o'clock position, but ymmv. My brother just uses the SF that clamps under the barrel and a tape switch, and he seems to like that as well.

wlptpd3
11-20-07, 16:49
I have a plane jane 6920 that I plan to put a railed forearm and light on. I'm not really a fan of VFG's and hope that I can find a way to run a simple G2 without one.

All of the mounting options I see for a G2 make it look easy to run with a thumb while holing a VFG. Can a person run a similarly mounted G2 without a VFG?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Thanks for your help.

Remember there are no stupid questions, I just did the very same thing on a gun I built and wanted to go without any railed forend. I bought a Midwest Industries front sight mount and put my G-2 into a 1" Weaver ring. I put it all together and found the best light position for me, once this was done I took it all apart again and re-did it using lock-tite on all screws. The light sits right at 10:00 o clock and works great for me in this position, YMMV. Give it a try it may work for you as well.

John_Wayne777
11-20-07, 20:12

Yes, you can.

In fact, Larry Vickers ran his weapon that way during the low light course.

C4IGrant
11-20-07, 20:16
I am a right handed shooter, do not use a VG and run my light at the 9 O'Clock position. I activate the light using the thumb on my left hand.

C4

ST911
11-20-07, 21:00
G2 on a rail here, too, at the 6:00. If the mount is tall enough, one can grip it like a VFG and activate it with the heel of the hand.

KevinB
11-20-07, 21:02
Steamlight makes a polymer chuck of rail you can drill and bolt thru a standard handguard (which is what I did on a 10.3 with standard handguards) and add a G2 via a ring mount.

Robb Jensen
11-20-07, 22:01
The Streamlight rail looks like this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/DNTC%20pics/handguardwrail001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/new006.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/primaryweapons001.jpg

ST911
11-21-07, 05:23
One caveat on the polymer rail, esp the Streamlight: Ensure the ring positively engages the rail, preferably along a substantial portion of it's length. Some of the rings out there (such as a conventional 1" scope ring) have insufficient engagement, and simple break off the rail when force is applied.

The range of rail dims in the polymers has been a problem for me, too, depending on the mount.

I've had much better luck with the aluminum bolt-on rails.

MX5
11-21-07, 06:33
GG&G makes metal rails for attachment on the forend.

roadstar
11-21-07, 06:41
Thanks for all the good advice guys!

I'll give some of this stuff a try. I'm glad you don't think a VFG is required to properly run a simple light setup like I want.

John Wayne777:
In what location did Larry run his G2 in on his carbine? Is he right or left handed. Thanks.

Dport
11-21-07, 07:36
Thanks for all the good advice guys!

I'll give some of this stuff a try. I'm glad you don't think a VFG is required to properly run a simple light setup like I want.

John Wayne777:
In what location did Larry run his G2 in on his carbine? Is he right or left handed. Thanks.

Larry is right handed, but left-eye dominant, if I recall correctly. So he shoots pistols right handed but long guns left handed.

markm
11-21-07, 08:08
I'm glad you don't think a VFG is required to properly run a simple light setup like I want.

Yep. I was messing with my G2 on my first rail system I got from GandR. It'd work fine in the 3 or 9 o'clock position for me without a VFG.

sonrider657
11-21-07, 08:28
I have been very pleased with my Elzetta mount. It attaches to the FSB and allows the front sling swivel to operate the G2'spushbutton switch. See www.Elzetta.com (http://www.Elzetta.com)

Jay Cunningham
11-21-07, 09:17
One thing that I learned from recent training is that a tailcap activated light at the 9:00 is best activated with a thumb forward from a vert grip, while shooting with your hand out on the forearm works better mounted at 11:00.

For me, of course... YMMV. ;)

DocGKR
11-21-07, 15:12
Almost all my lights are at 11 o'clock--they work equally well with or without a VFG.

We just started receiving our X300's-very impressive light; seems to have more throw than our G2L's, Scout Light's, and L4's.

markm
11-21-07, 15:17
Almost all my lights are at 11 o'clock--they work equally well with or without a VFG.

My old Home D set up was an M3 light at 11 and a G2 at 1 o'clock as a back up light. I could work both or either with the same support hand position.

John_Wayne777
11-21-07, 19:01
John Wayne777:

He runs his rifles left handed, but his pistols right handed. I've never asked him why myself, but I suspect it is a cross-dominance issue as I've seen a couple of guys who are left eye dominant run things that way.

As to the location of his light, it was mounted on the right side rail of his 416. (I believe it was the 3 o' clock position in a basic ring type mount for the G2) His normal firing grip places his support hand (in this case, his right hand) right up by the tailcap of the light so that all he has to do is bump it with the web of his hand near the base of the thumb to activate as needed.

EDIT -- You can see LAV's light setup in this picture shamelessly stolen from John Chapman's AAR thread on page 2 of the Training and Tactics forum. (Which, by the way, is a darn good read if you haven't read it yet...)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/mountaincop/malfunctionsetup416.jpg

Jay Cunningham
11-21-07, 20:46
Not to pick nits, but I could swear LAV changed his light arrangement for our class. I thought he was running it at 11:00 (or maybe it was 1:00)...

Not a big deal, but it's what I thought I remembered...