PDA

View Full Version : Bobro compact ACOG mount?

Amicus
10-23-11, 14:34
I remember some time ago someone stated that Bobro was working on a compact ACOG mount. Any word on this?

Singlestack Wonder
10-23-11, 20:29
Haven't heard anything about the Bobro but the American Defense AD-B2 is hard to beat.

http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/14/

Skang
10-24-11, 02:47
Trijicon is the Bobro mount.

Bobro is currently under Trijicon contract.

Amicus
10-24-11, 12:46
Haven't heard anything about the Bobro but the American Defense AD-B2 is hard to beat.

http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/14/

I appreciate the suggestion, but this mount would replace an AD-B2. The AD-B2 is a fine mount, superior in many ways to some alternatives. The problem I have with it is that it is just too damn low for use with a fixed FSB. I am quite used to shooting with the "shadow" of a FSB in the lower portion of the sight view: most of carbines are set up this way. But, the ADM is lower than the LaRue compact by just enough to bug me. I just thought, if my memory held true, that Bobro was working on such a mount.

Trijicon is the Bobro mount.

Bobro is currently under Trijicon contract.

But, as I understand it, not for ACOGs. The current mounts are for Accu-points, etc.

kwilkin
10-24-11, 13:32
The issue of Bobro T-1 and mini ACOG mounts was brought up recently on TOS. Apparently, they are in prototype stage. On TOS there are a few pics of the new Bobro EOTech XPS mount, but none of the others.

Skang
10-24-11, 13:52
They do make quick release mount for Acog, but not compact model. :p

Singlestack Wonder
10-25-11, 17:50
I appreciate the suggestion, but this mount would replace an AD-B2. The AD-B2 is a fine mount, superior in many ways to some alternatives. The problem I have with it is that it is just too damn low for use with a fixed FSB. I am quite used to shooting with the "shadow" of a FSB in the lower portion of the sight view: most of carbines are set up this way. But, the ADM is lower than the LaRue compact by just enough to bug me. I just thought, if my memory held true, that Bobro was working on such a mount.

But, as I understand it, not for ACOGs. The current mounts are for Accu-points, etc.

For me, the TA44SR-10 mounted on the AD-B2 gave me a 1/3 lower co-witness (or very close to). I never noticed the front sight. Should the glass ever go down, a quick unlatch of the AD-B2 and one was ready to go.

YMMV

Doc Safari
10-28-11, 12:46
Maybe one of you guys can answer this one: which mount lets the mini ACOG sit closest to the original height of the A2 iron sights? The LaRue LT-105? The TA60?

nimdabew
10-28-11, 14:07
Maybe one of you guys can answer this one: which mount lets the mini ACOG sit closest to the original height of the A2 iron sights? The LaRue LT-105? The TA60?

Does it really matter?

Doc Safari
10-28-11, 14:16
That's the height I'm going for because I like the cheek weld I get at that height.

nimdabew
10-28-11, 14:29
I don't believe it will be a noticable difference. I can't tell the difference between my Irons and my ACOG. My TA31 is in a Larue mount FWIW.

Amicus
10-28-11, 15:48

I assume that you mean the solid carry handle sight (2.8" height over bore [HOB]), as opposed to the detachable model (2.6" HOB).

Actually, I think that is something I'd like to know as well, just to have the info handy. That might take a while to get to though; I do have a life, and, as it happens, houseguests.

Of course, your comfortable use at various heights depends on a lot of factors , including stock shape and type, sighting practice (e.g., long eye relief cheek-on-stock, NTCH with irons or RDS, RDS absolute or lower 1/3 cowitness setups, fixed or flip-up irons and whether you like to look over or through them (I used to look over my irons when I ran an EoTech) ... The list goes on.

I can say right now, without measuring, that the relative heights of various mounts are (from lowest to highest): Trijicon TA51 ACOG mount, ADM B2, Larue Compact Mount, TA60 compact ACOG mount.

Finally, I am not sure if all the centerpoints of ACOG compacts are going to be the same height. Trijicon uses, by my count, at least four different body styles for the compacts, with objective lenses approximately 16, 20, 24, or 30 mm in diameter. Representative examples are: TA44/45/47 (similar but not the same), TA44S, TA50, TA33. The TA26S (special ring) is another question altogether. I don't own a TA33 anymore (traded it for a TA45 and am very happy that I did), but someone might try to figure out that spec.

Anyway, I'll try to figure this out over the next week or so, if anyone is interested.

Doc Safari
10-28-11, 16:10
That sounds like a plan, Amicus. :)

I just always use the height of the A2 sights as a reference and go from there as far as mount height. I certainly would not want any sight to mount much lower than the A2 sights.