PDA

View Full Version : M&P 45, how did this happen?

Hawkeye
11-20-07, 16:33
Not sure how this happened. I have been very happy with my M&P 45. Somehow though, it went from this.............

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Guns/MP45-1.jpg

To now today, this..........

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Guns/FDEMP45-5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Guns/FDEMP45-4.jpg

Somehow, this seems to have followed me home today. Darn things multiply by sending out signals somehow to friends and have them follow you home, especially after you handle them at the store. Frickin wierd.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Guns/FDEMP45-3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Guns/FDEMP45-1.jpg

Overall, it appears just as nice as my black 45. Biggest initial difference being that the trigger feels a bit nicer on the FDE one.
Couple of things to note......
As said, the trigger feels different on the FDE 45. I noticed that the sear in the FDE one, is different than my black one. It appears to be stainless steel, whereas the black on looks like a forged blued carbon steel one. You can see the difference in both color and shape in these pics............

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Guns/MP45frames1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Guns/MP45frames2.jpg

Also, the front of the frame on the FDE 45 has a stainless steel looking insert molded into the frame, which is not present on the standard black one, as seen here.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Guns/MP45frames3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Guns/MP45frames5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Guns/MP45frames6.jpg

DrMark
11-20-07, 16:59
Great photo essay. Thanks.

That's interesting about the sear. I'm curious to hear if a reason for (and benefits of) the design change are disclosed by S&W.

...the front of the frame on the FDE 45 has a stainless steel looking insert molded into the frame, which is not present on the standard black one...
Is it possible (I cannot tell from the photos) that the steel insert is in both frames, but covered by plastic overmolding in the black one?

Mark

Hawkeye
11-20-07, 17:18
Using the tip of my knife, I poked at the front area of the black one. Didnt feel any metal in it. I admittedly didnt poke to deep or otherwise gouge it for obvious reasons, but I dont think its there. I could be wrong though.

As for the sear, I have someone I am checking with on that...

Hawkeye
11-20-07, 17:24
Now I just need a FDE Masada to pair up with it. That could be one of the most effective combinations since the 1911 and the M1 Garand.

Robb Jensen
11-20-07, 17:25
Some sears have a nickel like finish on them. I see it on a lot of .40 cal M&P pistols (don't know why). The metal in the front of the frame is likely to protect the plastic frame from the slide battering it. I wonder if they newest black frames have that too.

Jay Cunningham
11-20-07, 17:45
That there is pretty nice. Are the 9mm guns available with front cocking serrations?

Hawkeye
11-20-07, 17:45
Some sears have a nickel like finish on them. I see it on a lot of .40 cal M&P pistols (don't know why). The metal in the front of the frame is likely to protect the plastic frame from the slide battering it. I wonder if they newest black frames have that too.

You could be right on the sear Rob. I do note that it is a slightly different shape none the less. I was also thinking the same thing in regards to the frame insert up front. Need to look at some newer 45's and see if they have it as well.

Hawkeye
11-20-07, 17:46
That there is pretty nice. Are the 9mm guns available with front cocking serrations?

No, just the 45's.

C4IGrant
11-20-07, 18:09

Nope and why would you want them???

C4

M4arc
11-20-07, 19:34
You greedy bass turd!

I haven't got my first M&P45 and you already have two?

:D

Very nice!

Hawkeye
11-20-07, 19:40
Cant help that your slow.

RHR
11-20-07, 19:44
Hawkeye,

Did the FDE just come out?

Do you prefer the safety or no safety version?

Lumpy196
11-20-07, 19:54
You greedy bass turd!

I haven't got my first M&P45 and you already have two?

Very nice!

Its my goal to have THREE.....SOON :p

Hawkeye
11-20-07, 20:07
Hawkeye,

Did the FDE just come out?

Do you prefer the safety or no safety version?

Yes, they just recently made it to the market.

I am a HUGE fan of the standard non safety M&P. I just got the FDE one today, so I havent had a lot of time yet to mess with it or shoot it. My plans were to remove the thumb safety. However, I am going to have to withhold judgement for a bit. The safety on the M&P 45 seems to be in a.......interesting.... location.

subzero
11-20-07, 20:24
The safety on the M&P 45 seems to be in a.......interesting.... location.

So do you sweep it with your thumb during a reload and knock it on as well?

Not that that's ever happened to me. Nope. Though I am asking myself how to make the safety more positive, and how far I can narrow it and have it still be useful.

M4arc
11-20-07, 20:58

Wait a minute...hold the phone...

Who are you and what have you done with Lumpy?

Hawkeye
11-20-07, 22:22
So do you sweep it with your thumb during a reload and knock it on as well?

Not that that's ever happened to me. Nope. Though I am asking myself how to make the safety more positive, and how far I can narrow it and have it still be useful.

Have just practiced a few dry reload runs, but didnt notice that. I'll have to look for that issue and see if it happens. Havent live fired it yet either. The safety on mine is very positive. Clicks on and off very nicely, much nicer than previous versions I have tried.

Hawkeye
11-20-07, 22:23

He said in a M&P thread a while back, that he was going to own 2. He just upped it one. :cool:

militarymoron
11-20-07, 22:43
that's weird how that happens huh? (new guns suddenly appearing out of nowhere). very nice, dude :D

Hawkeye
11-20-07, 23:02
Its the darndest thing.... :confused:

Lumpy196
11-20-07, 23:54

Dont worry, Im not odd like Hawkeye.

No plans on having DIRT colored handguns :D

Hawkeye
11-20-07, 23:55
Ok, as I am understanding it from a friend at S&W, the FDE frames are a slightly different polymer than on the black ones. The insert in the front of the frame is just a little added insurance. This makes sense though looking back, because that was one of the things that was causing the FDE ones to be slow in getting out. S&W was taking its time finding exactly the polymer mix that they wanted for them and that met their specs. Not sure if they will be incorporating the insert in any other models or not.

Hawkeye
11-20-07, 23:55
Dont worry, Im not odd like Hawkeye.

No plans on having DIRT colored handguns :D

Dont make me remind you of a few things.........

M4arc
11-21-07, 07:56
This thread is making it very had for me to figure out if I want a M&P9c or a M&P45 next...

I blame you Hawkeye!

Hawkeye
11-21-07, 08:08
Kharma is weird that way.

RHR
11-21-07, 08:10
A local shop has the M&P45 without safety for $469.99. Is that a good price?

Sam
11-21-07, 08:13

Yes, that's a good price.

markm
11-21-07, 08:28

et tu, Lumpe?

C4IGrant
11-21-07, 09:04

That is a fair price, but we offer M4C members better deals on them.

C4

DrMark
11-21-07, 13:12
This thread is making it very had for me to figure out if I want a M&P9c or a M&P45 next...
I guess it will depend on what's available for a deal at the Hampton gun show this weekend, huh?

Jay Cunningham
11-21-07, 13:58
Nope and why would you want them???

C4

To give me another option on how to press check.

Am I missing something?

C4IGrant
11-21-07, 14:03
To give me another option on how to press check.

Am I missing something?

Yes, as it puts your hand next to the business end of the muzzle.

If I am going to do a press check (which I rarely do and don't really think is a good idea) I use the rear serrations.

C4

markm
11-21-07, 14:07
Anyone remember the "Pinch Check" for 1911s? :eek:

Jay Cunningham
11-21-07, 14:19
I've read and heard many different theories on press checks.

In good light I usually do a simple overhand grasp of the rear serrations and a visual in the chamber, let go and then a smack on the back of the slide.

Of course, that won't cut it in total darkness; Farnam teaches an eyes-off tactile chamber check which is a bit ponderous.

Ken Hackathorn demo'd the press check using the front of the slide and touching the chambered round with the trigger finger - at least that's what I remember, maybe I was hallucinating.

Sorry to take this OT, so I'll have to do my part by showing you what I just bought about 2 hours ago:

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/4559/mp45jo6.jpg

My 1st ever .45 and it's not a 1911...:eek:

Nathan_Bell
11-21-07, 15:57

In good light I usually do a simple overhand grasp of the rear serrations and a visual in the chamber, let go and then a smack on the back of the slide.

Of course, that won't cut it in total darkness; Farnam teaches an eyes-off tactile chamber check which is a bit ponderous.

Ken Hackathorn demo'd the press check using the front of the slide and touching the chambered round with the trigger finger - at least that's what I remember, maybe I was hallucinating.

Sorry to take this OT, so I'll have to do my part by showing you what I just bought about 2 hours ago:

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/4559/mp45jo6.jpg

Are you some kind of Commie?!?

Hawkeye
11-21-07, 16:52
TheKatar.......:cool: Excellent! Just wait until you shoot it.

As for press checks, I do them, but not in a way that puts my hand in front of the muzzle in any way. Also, as TheKatar mentioned, I use my trigger finger to physically feel for the round. Most people I have seen do them though, do them very wrong.

C4IGrant
11-21-07, 16:53

I have never been taught to use the front serrations for a press check as it put digits too close to the bad end of the weapon.

There is a good article in this months SWAT about bad habits. Press check was one of the things discussed. The author of the article is on this forum and I have sent him this link so he can provide some feedback.

C4

Jay Cunningham
11-21-07, 17:01
I have never been taught to use the front serrations for a press check as it put digits too close to the bad end of the weapon.

There is a good article in this months SWAT about bad habits. Press check was one of the things discussed. The author of the article is on this forum and I have sent him this link so he can provide some feedback.

C4

Roger that - thanks Grant.

M4arc
11-21-07, 17:56
Oh man, everyone is getting M&P45s except me!

:(

mark5pt56
11-21-07, 18:22
My guess for why SW put those on the .45 is for looks and to maybe sway the 1911 crowd a bit, since you tend to see those on some of them. True, I never use those either.

mark5pt56
11-21-07, 18:22
Oh man, everyone is getting M&P45s except me!

:(

The Armory has one with your name on it!

C4IGrant
11-21-07, 18:44
Roger that - thanks Grant.

So as to not hijack this thread, I have started a new one here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=97121#post97121

C4

C4IGrant
11-21-07, 18:45
The Armory has one with your name on it!

Good LORD, don't buy it from them! I have one with your name on it. ;)

C4

C4IGrant
11-21-07, 18:46
My guess for why SW put those on the .45 is for looks and to maybe sway the 1911 crowd a bit, since you tend to see those on some of them. True, I never use those either.

I do think that the M&P in 45 with the external safety will attract a lot of 1911 buyers. The gun already rides high like a 1911 so I think it would be an easy transition for them.

C4

M4arc
11-21-07, 18:49
Good LORD, don't buy it from them! I have one with your name on it. ;)

C4

Now that Dinger and I found an outstanding FFL in Va Bch my next M&Ps will be purchased from you ;)

John_Wayne777
11-21-07, 19:23
TheKatar.......:cool: Excellent! Just wait until you shoot it.

As for press checks, I do them, but not in a way that puts my hand in front of the muzzle in any way. Also, as TheKatar mentioned, I use my trigger finger to physically feel for the round. Most people I have seen do them though, do them very wrong.

You mean I'm *not* supposed to use my teeth?

John_Wayne777
11-21-07, 19:26

I believe I saw the same thing.

Low light training course tuition: 700 dollars
Hotel bill: 300 dollars
Gas: 300 dollars
Beer tab: Unknown
Ammo: First-born child

All the stuff you get hot and bothered to buy after seeing it work in the training course: Priceless.

Hawkeye
11-21-07, 19:55
You mean I'm *not* supposed to use my teeth?

Exceptions are to be made of course.....for the exceptional. Sadly (or maybe not) that excludes us both.

mark5pt56
11-21-07, 20:20
Now that Dinger and I found an outstanding FFL in Va Bch my next M&Ps will be purchased from you ;)

True, forgive me sir. But then you will miss the expert advise from tactical Bob:cool:

BY THE WAY, ANSWER THAT PM!

I've been thinking real hard on the .45 M&P. I need to move some of the High Power equipment to free up some funds.

mark5pt56
11-21-07, 20:27
I do think that the M&P in 45 with the external safety will attract a lot of 1911 buyers. The gun already rides high like a 1911 so I think it would be an easy transition for them.

C4

That's a fair statement. Actually, although long gone, that was a deciding factor when I sold my Colt Combat Government model years ago and purchased a HK 45 USP full size. It was in my opinion a better choice at the time. I kind of regret it, trading that HK because I did like it. I did sell at the same time my G21 because the HK felt and shot better.

macman37
11-21-07, 20:48
Hopefully one of these days... I've been looking at these long and hard since Hawkeye started raving about them.

I still need to rent one to make sure they shoot the way I like handguns to shoot. It certainly does feel like a great gun in your hand though. I've fondled several.

Nice guns Hawk!

KevinB
11-22-07, 00:09
Ironically the same day Hawkeye told me he has gotten one and that I shoudl consider checking one out -- I had just gotten a FDE M&P45 (I kinda picked it up on trade by accident...)

I'm going to have to get in touch with Grant for the Laser Grip add on -- but I was pretty impressed
Damn now I need a new fricken holster - another X300 (maybe I'll swap one off a Glock I dont use :D and put a X200 on it) and more mags.

williejc
11-22-07, 15:58

In years past, S&W chose not to use stainless hammers and triggers in otherwise stainless handguns because the sear engagement surfaces would lose their structural integrity. They solved this problem by using chrome plated , carbon steel hammmers and triggers which also looked stainless.

Might this be the case here?

Williejc

subzero
11-24-07, 16:16
FWIW VA guys, there were 3 FDE 45s with the thumb safety at Trader Jerry's table at the Hampton gun show today.

If I hadn't dropped a pantload on ammo I woulda bought one.

DrMark
11-24-07, 17:08
FWIW VA guys, there were 3 FDE 45s with the thumb safety at Trader Jerry's table at the Hampton gun show today.
...plus one black one with night sights (no thumb safety).

mark5pt56
11-24-07, 17:13

If I hadn't dropped a pantload on ammo I woulda bought one.

Dang, if those where the none safety models I might be tempted. Good thing I'm not going!

Jay Cunningham
11-24-07, 17:19
I'm curious if anybody has plans on carrying their M&P45 concealed, or is it strictly going to be a (including training classes) service pistol?

Hawkeye
11-24-07, 19:30
Dang, if those where the none safety models I might be tempted. Good thing I'm not going!

Look at DrMark's post right above yours..... ;)

Hawkeye
11-24-07, 19:32
I'm curious if anybody has plans on carrying their M&P45 concealed, or is it strictly going to be a (including training classes) service pistol?

I've been carrying my M&P 45 concealed a LOT ever since I got it. For a while I rotated it with one of my 9's, but here lately I've been carrying it all the time. Just have to get a new holster so I can carry my FDE one now. The thumb safety hits the shirt guard on my Blad Tech IWB holster for my other 45.

mark5pt56
11-24-07, 19:56
Look at DrMark's post right above yours..... ;)

You see, it's like how Ex Va. Govenor Robb got in trouble. What did he expect to happen when he went to a hotel room with Tia Collins? He claims to have only gotten a back rub-- that's like me only saying I picked up one at the table to look at.

Hawkeye
11-24-07, 20:23
I aint saying nuttin.

JLM
11-27-07, 02:33
Marc keeps pestering me to buy one of these. He's wearing me down...almost daily :eek:

Did anyone get a definitive answer on the sear? I sent an email to David Bowie and asked him to look at this thread, so maybe I'll get us an answer.

Marc, why don't you just get me one for XMAS dude, and then I'll tell you how it is? :p

M4arc
11-27-07, 05:09
Marc keeps pestering me to buy one of these. He's wearing me down...almost daily :eek:

Did anyone get a definitive answer on the sear? I sent an email to David Bowie and asked him to look at this thread, so maybe I'll get us an answer.

Marc, why don't you just get me one for XMAS dude, and then I'll tell you how it is? :p

Who me???

What was your question about the sear?

JLM
11-27-07, 14:06
The difference between the sears in the FDE gun and the black gun.