PDA

View Full Version : Upper and lower quality differences

Oracle00
10-23-11, 19:07
Hello all, I am putting this up as my first post and introducing myself on this forum. I became unemployed a few months back and this forum has been my spot since in that time. Thanks for giving me a place to have endless knowledge of all makes and models of rifles and handguns. I have a 1911 Officer's and G19 (Both have been treated by Boresight Solutions) and will hopefully be adding an AR to my arsenal soon.

My thread topic is concerning the quality of stripped uppers/lowers and the prices of them. Is there a real difference in quality between an upper from DD, BCM, or Noveske and others like say DPMS or Spike's? I ask because at a local show yesterday (Miami) there were stripped Spike's uppers/lowers for sale at $98. I know there are differences in barrels and bcg's, but i also read in one of the threads that there are four main producers of uppers and lowers. In looking at prices for various parts I find that there is such a difference that there must be something adding to the price.

Is it demand, popularity, or quality? All three? I think Smith's M&P lower is a great product at a great deal and backed by a greag company. Why would one of their lowers be inferior in price to a DD or a Noveske? I imagine it is because of the availability vs size of company and volume produced.

I ask purely from a learning standpoint as I thought the Spike's deals were fantastic yesterday. Thanks to those who read and respond. I look forward to any knowledge I can get from all of you.

Franky

a0cake
10-23-11, 19:32
As far as stripped uppers / lowers go...all the brands you mentioned with the exception of DPMS are of equal quality and to be trusted.

Where you really make your money on the lowers is with the parts kit. You might be surprised how much something so small as a take down pin spring can have an effect on the overall feel / performance of the rifle.

Example: I recently bent the hell out of a takedown pin spring while putting a burnsed loop on an A2 lower. Unfortunately, I had no spares laying around so I went to a local store and got a DPMS LPK (that's all they had). Normally, I use Colt or DD LPK's, but I figured I only need the one spring and I'll just keep the rest of the DPMS LPK for spare parts. Well, upon installation, the takedown pin now slides in and out way too easily. I'm fairly certain I could pull it out with minimal effort. I'm not at all comfortable leaving it like it is. The DPMS spring was apparently not in spec.

If they can't get a tiny ass spring right, something is seriously wrong.

Anyhow, BCM, DD, Spikes, Noveske etc. all make quality products. For a stripped upper / lower...go with what's cheapest.

Oracle00
10-23-11, 19:46
As far as stripped uppers / lowers go...all the brands you mentioned with the exception of DPMS are of equal quality and to be trusted.

Where you really make your money on the lowers is with the parts kit. You might be surprised how much something so small as a take down pin spring can have an effect on the overall feel / performance of the rifle.

Example: I recently bent the hell out of a takedown pin spring while putting a burnsed loop on an A2 lower. Unfortunately, I had no spares laying around so I went to a local store and got a DPMS LPK (that's all they had). Normally, I use Colt or DD LPK's, but I figured I only need the one spring and I'll just keep the rest of the DPMS LPK for spare parts. Well, upon installation, the takedown pin now slides in and out way too easily. I'm fairly comfortable I could pull it out with minimal effort. I'm not at all comfortable leaving it like it is. The DPMS spring was apparently not in spec.

If they can't get a tiny ass spring right, something is seriously wrong.

Anyhow, BCM, DD, Spikes, Noveske etc. all make quality products. For a stripped upper / lower...go with what's cheapest.

Damn, good info. I would have never thought a spring could be so difficult for one of these companies to get right. Thanks.

jet80tv
10-23-11, 19:50
I've got a spikes lower, a dpms lower and a DD lower. I can't find much difference in quality of the DD and spikes, the dpms is fine as well tho pmags don't fit quite right(tight) well I should say the 30 rndrs are but not the 20's. I got all stripped and put dd lpk's in dd and spikes lowers and dpms in the dpms lower and no probs with either. The dd lpk is obviously much better quality.
I paid the most for the dpms lower but I bought it locally, wasn't worth it and I'll go with the best deal from now on price wise. Anyway I found the dpms stripped lower to be ok but if you have a choice go with spikes or dd etc.. if that is an option to minimize the possibility of encountering a QC issue

Scorpion
10-23-11, 19:55
It isn't hard to get a spring right, but DPMS can **** up a wet dream. Beware.

With that said, I have a lower from DPMS that I bought before I knew better, when I first got into shooting. All the springs except for the spring in the pistol grip work just fine; the spring in the pistol grip allows for too much play on the safety selector, but that isn't much of an issue.

ETA: I should probably add that it may not be the spring, it could be the selector being out of spec or the small detent that the spring puts pressure on. Also, the receiver extension is loctited and there is no staking on the castle nut to speak of. Speaking from personal experience, I'd buy something of known quality.

VIP3R 237
10-23-11, 22:16
Look ma its another receiver thread!

There isn't much difference with most lowers. However you'll get a higher resale value with a dd or noveske ect over some of the more generic lowers. Forged is better for a duty/hd gun than billet.

It isn't hard to get a spring right, but DPMS can **** up a wet dream. Beware.

Can't argue with that.

Tweak
10-23-11, 22:18
Well, upon installation, the takedown pin now slides in and out way too easily.

This with the same detent and takedown pin? Are you certain the detent is in place? Did the spring protrude from the rear of the lower when it was installed? That spring isn't a very dynamic part so as long the length is correct it should be fine.

Not that DPMS isn't garbage but just odd that this part functions oddly.

regal
10-24-11, 01:22
What about PSA LPK's, anyone have experience with these?

Oracle00
10-24-11, 07:49
What about PSA LPK's, anyone have experience with these?

I don't want to come off as rude, but it seems we are getting off topic. I believe there's a LPK thread that started a few days ago, and one of the PSA reps chimed in.

I'll redirect the question to the lower on PSA's site. At $90-$100 does anyone have any builds with this lower that could chime in on quality vs cost? How does it stack up to a RRA or DD lower? They seem to be a very good up and coming company.

Thanks for all the responses,
Franky

fdxpilot
10-24-11, 14:13
I don't want to come off as rude, but it seems we are getting off topic. I believe there's a LPK thread that started a few days ago, and one of the PSA reps chimed in.

I'll redirect the question to the lower on PSA's site. At $90-$100 does anyone have any builds with this lower that could chime in on quality vs cost? How does it stack up to a RRA or DD lower? They seem to be a very good up and coming company.

Franky

I recently built up a PSA lower with one of their Ergo LPKs (normal LPK with Ergo pistol grip.) It went together fine and functions normally. I still personally prefer DD lowers for the flared magwell and possible resale value, but the PSA makes a great budget build. No reason to go RRA, as far as I know.

Also, if you are not on a strict timeline, PSA has frequent sales with their basic lower priced at $50 with $7 shipping. I got two during their Father's day sale. They had the same sale at Labor Day

MistWolf
10-24-11, 15:09

Franky

The following thread is about lowers. Maybe it will answer your questions
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=90428

Oracle00
10-26-11, 07:11
The following thread is about lowers. Maybe it will answer your questions
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=90428

Awesome thread, thanks for pointing it out. I must have overlooked it.