PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Defense v5 lightweight - set me up!

BfskinnerPunk
10-23-11, 20:03
Just ordered a DD v5 lightweight 16"... with no sights.

Being a newbie, not sure if I should have gone sightless for starters.

I'd like a quick acquisition "red dot" type sight... one that is small, durable, holds a zero with good battery life.

I also want back up iron sights of some sort.

So, any suggestions on good designs?

I want to somehow be able to easily go from iron sights to the red dot.... so if I want to use iron sights, would I have to physically remove the red dot with a quick release type thing?...or is there a way that they can co-exist very nicely.

Alright... so any tips or links would be helpful on this.

Thanks!
BFskinnerPunk
P.S.
Being new to this, I do get the feeling that I will bloat this rifle with cool gadgets... defeated the "lightweight" idea. The ultimate gadget would be nightvision that can be flipped into position.

Adam_s
10-23-11, 20:27
Red Dot: Aimpoint T-1 or H-1 in a Daniel Defense fixed mount.

Irons: Daniel Defense Fixed Front & Rear.

If you WANT to splurge, get yourself a set of Troy Flip-Up's. If you want to pinch pennies, go with Magpul's MBUS.

All of the above will keep you light weight, and not have you putting extraneous crap on your rifle.

HaydenB
10-23-11, 21:15
Just ordered a DD v5 lightweight 16"... with no sights.

Being a newbie, not sure if I should have gone sightless for starters.
No big deal, installing sights is easy.

I'd like a quick acquisition "red dot" type sight... one that is small, durable, holds a zero with good battery life.
You literally just described the Aimpoint T1/H1. Do a search on them.

I also want back up iron sights of some sort.

So, any suggestions on good designs?

I want to somehow be able to easily go from iron sights to the red dot.... so if I want to use iron sights, would I have to physically remove the red dot with a quick release type thing?...or is there a way that they can co-exist very nicely.
As far as iron sights go, you can't go wrong with Troy. I would get a fixed front, and a folding rear.

And as for a mount, I would look into Larue and American Defense Manufacturing. Even though you can use iron sights in conjunction with a red dot, there is really no reason not to go with a QD mount.

Being new to this, I do get the feeling that I will bloat this rifle with cool gadgets... defeated the "lightweight" idea.
I would resist that urge. Your money is put to much better use with ammo and training.

BCmJUnKie
10-23-11, 21:32
Also check out the Aimpoint PRO or Comp M2.

They really arent that big and the battery life is awesome.

I own an M2 and an M3, the batt. life on the M3 is around 5 years.

I would like to try a T1 someday but I like the 2moa dots better.

Heres my Aimpoints with mounts, 2 different mounts, one is co-witness and the other a lower 1/3 which I prefer more.

I think you can pick up an Aimpoint pro for around $400.00

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/AIM12841.aspx

Here is the ML2
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/AIM10338.aspx

And the T1
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/AIM11830.aspx

Aaaand the Troy sight.
http://store.troyind.com/Rear_Folding_BattleSights_s/24.htm

Zzzake
10-23-11, 23:25
I was in the same spot not long ago. New to AR and wanting to buy everything for it.

The best way is to try them before you buy. I wasted a lot of money just thinking that it will work perfectly. You really just happen to like something and not like others. Even tho you will find alot of similar recommendations, I honestly suggest you find it on a gun show, range that have them for rental, or someone whose nice enough to let you shoot theirs and have your first hand experience before dropping money on them.

Honestly, I have got 0 rejects at the range, just have to ask nicely.

My setup for my DD lightweight carbine is

Aimpoint H-1 on ADM mount
KAC micro BUIS
Scout lights

ryr8828
10-24-11, 04:58
I put troy folders on my v5 along with an aimpoint R1 and a hensoldt magnifier. It was ok.
I've since changed out to a leatherwood cmr 1-4x and I like it better on this rifle.

Shoot 1st
01-02-12, 14:50
Break in some iron sights before investing in a rds.

Failure2Stop
01-02-12, 15:35
Break in some iron sights before investing in a rds.

There is a whole, long thread covering years of that argument stickied at the top of the page.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=86301

RD62
01-02-12, 16:57
Red Dot: Aimpoint T-1 or H-1 in a Daniel Defense fixed mount.

Irons: Daniel Defense Fixed Front & Rear.

If you WANT to splurge, get yourself a set of Troy Flip-Up's. If you want to pinch pennies, go with Magpul's MBUS.

All of the above will keep you light weight, and not have you putting extraneous crap on your rifle.

Sage advice here

Tactical Joke
01-02-12, 18:15
I like my DD A1.5 rear BUIS. It's light, simple, and always up. If you do a lower 1/3rd co-witness, it doesn't get in the way at all. I have an LMT rear BUIS, and I don't think I really gain anything for the extra weight, and it costs more than the A1.5.

I'm pro-RDS, so give a look to anything by Aimpoint and the EOTech XPS/EXPS holo sight. Try to shoot someone's, and buy what you like.

ForTehNguyen
01-02-12, 19:34
since you have the V5, I would suggest flip up sights for back up irons. Magpul MBUS or Troy flips will work fine.

For a red dot look at Eotechs and Aimpoints and find your personal preference

TehLlama
01-02-12, 20:27
My DD LW V5 wears flip-up sights, though I've ran it with the DD Fixed Iron sights.

I would recommend the Aimpoint H1 for the optic - it's not the highest end model, but unless you need to run PVS14's behind it or take it down to depth, it's actually the more capable model, and can be had in very affordable packages with quality mounts like the DD, LT, ADM.

Low cost option (but still very good) would be the Aimpoint PRO and a pair of MBUS sights.

As far as lights, my suggestions are going to fall under the Surefire Scout lights (6v/3v), the Surefire X300, or taking the Surefire/VTAC V4 (modified Executive lights in 6v and 3v) and installing them in IWC, Danger Close, 03DG, or GearScout mounts.

J8127
01-02-12, 20:41
since you have the V5, I would suggest flip up sights for back up irons. Magpul MBUS or Troy flips will work fine.

For a red dot look at Eotechs and Aimpoints and find your personal preference

This, you got a v5 for a reason, so get flip up front and rear.

You don't need to take off the optic, just flip the sights and ignore the optic.

elnino31
01-02-12, 22:59
If you stick with an eotech or aimpoint I doubt you will have much regret.

If you stick with an aimpoint.... I doubt you'll have any regret :D