PDA

View Full Version : AI AE MKII .308

JBecker 72
10-24-11, 15:22
I want to get a precision rifle and was looking at the Accuracy International MKII .308. My question is how would this compare to the AW model in quality and performance, and is it worth the price $3500 +/-? Also which version would you get? I am interested in the 20" model with a muzzle brake.

Anchor Zero Six
10-24-11, 16:08
UGGGGG this has been beat to death on another forum but since I'm REALLY bored I'll anwer (jk)

In a nutshell the AW has a machined square action thats permenatly bonded to the chassis with dual recoil lugs. The safety is a 3 position (Win/Mauser style)...more on this later. The magazine is a true doubble stack and can be top loaded while in the rifle through the ejection port.

I have owned the AE MK1 and MK2 and the AWM they all shoot great and I could not say one offers any advantage over the other in terms of accuracy.

Really what you get with the AW is a top load magazine and a really bomb proof stock system.

The AE and AICS stocks are bar none the most rugged systems available just not as much as the AW. Folks mistake that to mean its not a strong stock which is not the case its the same stock with a simply improved method of connecting to the action. In comparison to every other stock system available its proven that its superior. IMO they are not particularly ergonomic for anything but prone shooting but thats just my opinion.

As for which to get...95% of shooters will never come close to dishing out the sort of abuse required to break an AE. That remaining 5% are either shooting rifles provided by whoever they are working for or simply have the disposable income to buy the very best production rifle made.

My vote is get the AE MK3...just announced its the AE MK2 with the addition of the AW 3 position safety. Contact Mile High Shooting supply and talk to Stacey Blankenship.

JBecker 72
10-24-11, 17:19
Thanks for the info, I will look into the MKIII model.

mark5pt56
10-24-11, 19:03
I think they are looking into offering an update to the MKII owners ref the safety.

Get the Stage 2 chassis, you'll enjoy the benefits of the folder in the long run. I'm very happy with mine and don't regret spending the money on it. I looked long and hard at "custom" bolt guns and decided the off the shelf AI was hands down the better option. I've been behind some nice custom sticks and although nice, once you get behind the AI, you will know why you spent the money you did.

And yes, Stacey Blankenship will treat you right. I recall him coming to my work and bolting up the AICS for me 12 years ago when he was still active in Norfolk!

rundm
12-04-11, 13:36
I have the AE mk11 in 308. Is it worth it? Most definitely. I have several customs and they are all nice but I love that AI. For me, the AW was not worth it. I'm not saying they are not worth it for some people but I had other guns to buy. I know the differences between the 2 and for the extra money, I decided on the AE. Accuracy on mine is excellent and for the most part, bomb proof. I will never use it to it's full potential. I would buy another one in a heart beat if it was the caliber I wanted. As it is, I put most of my guns in AI stocks. They do happen to fit me well.