PDA

View Full Version : Gen 3 Glock 19 Upgrade Questions

aaron_c
10-24-11, 18:31
Hey guys, I just picked up a brand new 19 Saturday. After putting 100-150 rounds through it yesterday, I noticed a few things that may need to be addressed right off the bat.

1. Casing Extraction: Casings are ejected with plenty of force unlike on the Gen 4 models...only problem is that all of the force is directed right at my eyes/forehead area about 20% of the time. LWD Extractor is on my list to solve this.

2. The front of the grip feels fine, but by the end of the range session it was starting to tear my fingers up. I looked at something like the Pachmayr glip-on grips to try out possibly, has anyone else experienced this though? It's not an RTF frame or anything, even.

3. Is there any way to shorten the travel of the trigger? The weight of it is fine, the only improvement I would want to make is in the length of travel.

HaydenB
10-24-11, 18:51
Hey guys, I just picked up a brand new 19 Saturday.
Congratulations! One of the most versatile handguns on the planet.

only problem is that all of the force is directed right at my eyes/forehead area about 20% of the time. LWD Extractor is on my list to solve this.
I have the same problem with my Glock 34. I figured I would see if it corrected itself after the break in period. No luck after about 1600 rounds. Interested to see how a new extractor works out for you.

2. The front of the grip feels fine, but by the end of the range session it was starting to tear my fingers up. I looked at something like the Pachmayr glip-on grips to try out possibly, has anyone else experienced this though? It's not an RTF frame or anything, even.
I bought a Pachmayr slip-on when I first got mine. I hated it because it added more girth and it was SUPER slippery when my hands got sweaty. Not to be rude, but, if the OEM texture is to harsh you must have really soft hands. Just build some calluses!

aaron_c
10-24-11, 19:03
Thanks for the reply, Hayden! I'll let you know how the extractor goes when I get it in, so be sure to stay subscribed to this thread (they are out of stock right now it appears).

I don't think the issue is soft hands, as I've worked in tomato fields during summers between high school and college most of my life, but perhaps I was squeezing the grip a bit too tightly or something. I'll have to play with that theory next time I hit the range. If this extractor doesn't fix the issue, it looks like I may end up with a callus on my forehead :blink:

duece71
10-24-11, 22:24
Thanks for the reply, Hayden! I'll let you know how the extractor goes when I get it in, so be sure to stay subscribed to this thread (they are out of stock right now it appears).

I don't think the issue is soft hands, as I've worked in tomato fields during summers between high school and college most of my life, but perhaps I was squeezing the grip a bit too tightly or something. I'll have to play with that theory next time I hit the range. If this extractor doesn't fix the issue, it looks like I may end up with a callus on my forehead :blink:

You may want to try stippling. I am using a soldering tool and it seems to work very well on improving the grip texture of my G19
Good luck.

JonInWA
10-25-11, 09:31
If you have a MIM extractor (they're more of a shiny black finish), replace it with a Glock tool steel one (more of a matte gray finish).

Regarding your grip, simply get a bicycle inner tube, cut it to size, and wrestle it on-much better in my experience than the aftermarket efforts (less girth, and doesn't slip).

Best, Jon

okie john
10-25-11, 11:03
My G19 ejects cases from 115-grain ammo into my face about as often as yours does. The problem goes away with 124-grain ammo.

YMMV.

Okie John

Pax
10-25-11, 11:08
Where, exactly, and how, exactly, are your fingers getting "torn up?" Aftermarket grips may not solve this issue, you may need to adjust your grip and/or modify the frame. That is, break out some files and sandpaper. That said, if you would like additional grip, I have found absolutely nothing that performs better than A Grips, also available through LWD. The felt-like texture easily beats out rubberized grips when wet, doesnt matter if its sweat, water, whatever. Never had any issues with mine coming off, tearing, anything like that. Ive owned two.

DaveR
10-25-11, 12:22
Vanek is one of the best trigger options. Read thru the info there to pick the option best for you.

http://vanekcustom.com/

Dave

JohnN
10-25-11, 13:51
Vanek is one of the best trigger options. Read thru the info there to pick the option best for you.

http://vanekcustom.com/

Dave

Does Vanek offer any kind of trigger suitable for CCW?

Brasilnuts
10-25-11, 13:52

Calluses

DaveR
10-25-11, 14:04
Does Vanek offer any kind of trigger suitable for CCW?

I think that would depend on your point of view. The lighter connector is something many consider too light for carry. Others think it's fine with proper training.

For me, I like the stock trigger.

Dave

turdbocharged
10-25-11, 14:12
Is it possible that the OP's issue could be ammo related?

DocGKR
10-25-11, 14:18
"After putting 100-150 rounds through it yesterday, I noticed a few things that may need to be addressed right off the bat."

Put another 850-900 rounds through it before doing anything.

"LWD Extractor is on my list to solve this."

Before you do that, try a White Sound Defense HRED: http://www.whitesounddefense.com/products/H.R.E.D.-9mm.html. If you have no relief, consider borrowing an old Glock extractor and see if that makes a difference

"The front of the grip feels fine, but by the end of the range session it was starting to tear my fingers up. I looked at something like the Pachmayr glip-on grips to try out possibly, has anyone else experienced this though? It's not an RTF frame or anything, even."

Mountain bike innertube over the grip can help. Stippling is better. I radius the edges on all my Glock trigger guards, as they dig into my finger in stock format.

"Is there any way to shorten the travel of the trigger? The weight of it is fine, the only improvement I would want to make is in the length of travel."

If you want short trigger travel, purchase a high quality 1911 or an M&P w/Apex FSS. Otherwise, learn to work the Glock trigger--it is what it is. I prefer a Glock OEM "-" connector with the stock trigger return spring. Stock Glock triggers are not impediments to accurate or rapid shooting.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Before you do anything major to the pistol, take a good quality handgun class with someone that knows what they are doing:

Officers in our area have reported outstanding training from Pat Mcnamara/TMAC, Magpul Dynamics, Trident Concepts, EAG, PistolTraining.com, VTAC, CSAT, Vickers Tactical, Fulcrum Concepts, ITTS, Kyle Defoor, and TigerSwan––you would be ahead of the game to get training from any of them. Some other folks offering good training include: Ernie Langdon, Pat Goodale/PFT, Louis Awerbuck/Yavpai Shooting Academy, LMS Defense, Jason Falla/Redback One, Mike Pannone/CTT Solutions, Jim Smith/Spartan Tactical, Dave Hall, Don Lazzarini.

skyugo
10-25-11, 14:50
Is it possible that the OP's issue could be ammo related?

I've run new glocks on the same ammo as my old (08) model. Mine kicks em nicely to the right with only the very occasional forehead seeker, the new ones consistently dribble brass over the top of the slide.
I really hope my extractor never breaks.