PDA

View Full Version : Raven Concealment "C"-hooks and Beltman Gun Belt?

mhanna91
10-24-11, 20:50
I currently have a RCS Phantom for my M&P9mm w/ TLR-1 as well as a double mag carrier. I bought this holster and carrier with the intent of using them for OWB carry, but after removing the plastic belt loops and sticking the holster and carrier inside my pants, I realized how do-able IWB carry would be with this setup and I think I want to move into IWB carry and use the same holster. I planned to buy the offset wings and C-hook kits for my holster, and possibly 2 additional sets for the mag carrier as well (would the wings for the mag carrier be a good idea or unnecessary?), and then started pondering buying a good gun belt to go with it. I did my reading and I think I want to go with Beltman horsehide 1.5". These belts are advertised as being almost 1/4" thick, so my question is whether or not they would be compatible with the RCS C-hooks and I didn't want to buy them and have them not work because I'm looking at about $63 in hardware here plus shipping. I was scouring Google and read an account where someone was trying to use a Crossbreed Supertuck with a Beltman gunbelt and the belt was too thick for the clips. Anyone know if my plan will work?

Thanks,

Mark

rackham1
10-25-11, 01:59
I haven't tried exactly what you're asking but this might give you a comparison:

I CCW two different ways. One is Crossbreed holster with a Crossbreed belt (which is as thick as the Beltman). The other is an RCS outside the pants with a basic trainer belt. A few times I tried the RCS holster with the Crossbreed belt and it didn't work out... belt was too thick/stiff to thread into the holster loops quickly and it was difficult to adjust the position on my hip once it was on.

I don't know how the standard RCS loops compare to the c-hooks but guessing they're close.

I've never measured my Crossbreed belt but the website says "just under 1/4 inch thick". I do use the velcro tabs on the Crossbreed which means I've got the fuzzy side of the velcro stiched to the inside of the belt, adding a little thickness. The belt is otherwise awesome... just can't get it to work for me with the RCS.

Hope that gives you some good thoughts.

TomF
10-25-11, 11:28
The Beltman belts will work great with the C Hooks. The C Hooks are designed to have the belt threaded through them (not snapped over), but they will provide a very stable ride and low profile on your belt when your shirt is tucked in.

If you're shopping leather belts because you need a dressy belt for tucking your shirt in, you're on the right track.

If you need a good gun belt that does not need to be passed off in a professional attire environment, you can't do better than an Ares Gear Ranger Belt.

Oh, and we have a 30 day trial period on anything we sell. If they don't work for you, we'd never make you keep them.

If I can help with anything else, please ask.

mhanna91
10-25-11, 22:27
Thanks for the comparison rackham, I can see how the OWB belt loops would be hard to thread a beltman through, but the c-clips are a different animal I think.

Tom, thanks for your input. And yes, this belt is intended to be a do-all belt that I can wear for casual occasions as well as more formal ones, and my main concern is that my current job requires a brown or black leather belt, otherwise I probably would just order some quality nylon. It is nice to have you on the board providing your customers with information like this. Would you mind commenting on the practicality of putting the off-set wings and c-clips on a mag carrier for IWB carry?

TomF
10-26-11, 10:37
Would you mind commenting on the practicality of putting the off-set wings and c-clips on a mag carrier for IWB carry?

They certainly fit and work, we have a lot of customers who carry mags IWB on a daily basis.

For me, it would boil down to my environment. If you're using tuckable gear, that means you need the utmost of concealment. For some, this could mean losing their job or getting in legal trouble if they're "made" (RCS does not condone illegal activity), and for others it's just a way to hide their gun from customers and employees.

If you need the utmost concealment, and are already making a compromise by using a tuckable holster (which DOES still show a slight profile on your belt), I would personally put that spare mag in a pocket holster. This reduces the number of "little tabs" showing around your belt, and may reduce the number of questions from coworkers and customers.

I know this environment well. Before working for RCS, I was a financial advisor at a large bank for a number of years. I carried a G26 daily, but based on the environment it had to be extremely well concealed. I was in close proximity to coworkers and clients all day. Even in a white collar setting like that, there are still times when you have to reach up to a tall filing cabinet, bend down to fix power cords, lift and replace the water jug on the water cooler, etc. These type of movements are often the most difficult to maintain your concealment.

I used a tuckable appendix rig (oddly enough....from RCS) and it worked beautifully. I carried a spare mag in my left pocket. By blousing my shirt over the belt slightly, and placing my tie at the proper level, it was very difficult to see anything on the belt. That, and appendix carry is kind of a "no look" zone for most people. Have a cover story in place (insulin pump, etc) and change the topic as quickly as possible if necessary. I never had to discuss it with anyone. I did have to draw from it once, so be sure that whatever trade-offs you make for concealment doesn't hinder your ability to access and draw the weapon.