PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Aimpoint PRO gift!

Ronin64
10-25-11, 10:49
My mom is a Police Officer rural but busy little city, she has an old school Colt AR-15A3 purchased in '97. She had an old crappy red dot sight on it ever since then, it was mounted on the carry handled but it recently completely died. She had commented that it was never really accurate and always lost the zero.

I've decided to get a small Christmas gift, the Aimpoint PRO and the Larue fixed BUIS.

Now a couple quick questions, I have read these forums extensively, but can't find a real clear answer.

With the carry handle removed and the Aimpoint PRO mounted on the flat top, with the standard fixed front A2 sight and the Larue fixed BUIS, will she be able to achieve a cowitness or a 1/3 cowitness? Also, would the fixed iron sights be totally usable with the Aimpoint still attached?

I'm trying to keep this setup as simple as possible, minimizing the need for turning things on or flipping sights up and down.

I know I would be better off getting the Larue mount for the Aimpoint, but I didn't want to spend more than $500 for the entire setup, so I'm going to stick with the stock Aimpoint mount. Maybe a Larue mount as a future gift!

I have never owned an Aimpoint myself, I have an EOTech 516. While I prefer the EOTech reticule, I would prefer to get her something more simple yet completely reliable, The Aimpoint PRO really seems to be the best deal going.

Thanks for any advice!

ICANHITHIMMAN
10-25-11, 12:36
If you use the supplyed aimpoint mount then the awnser is no

Ronin64
10-25-11, 12:40
If you use the supplyed aimpoint mount then the awnser is no

I see. What would the prefered mount be in order to achieve cowitness? I see there are three LaRue mounts, two mout 1.7 higher and the cheapest mounts 1.2 higher.

ICANHITHIMMAN
10-25-11, 12:43
I dont know their products well enough to awnser but American Defence Machine is just as good and it will cost you less. There is always the used option. You should look through the optics section in the marketplace.

nimdabew
10-25-11, 12:45
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=17049

Read.

The PRO mount will give something between a absolute and lower 1/3 co-witness.

markm
10-25-11, 12:47
The mount that comes with the PRO is absolute Co-witness isn't it?

jsummers
10-25-11, 12:47
According to Aimpoint's PRO webpage (http://www.aimpoint.com/us/products/all-products/product-singleview/product/PRO/), the supplied factory mount will co-witness with a standard height rear buis (which I believe the Larue is) and the FSP.

ICANHITHIMMAN
10-25-11, 12:48
Well if thats true I stand corrected

nimdabew
10-25-11, 12:49
The mount that comes with the PRO is absolute Co-witness isn't it?

Debatable, but I hear something around a 2/5th co-witness. Personally, I like 1/3rd's but thats just personal preference. I would rather just get an optic that won't shit the bed, but I put irons on all my AR's regardless because I am paranoid. Or prudent. Pick your poison.

Short answer OP: Yes, it will work. I would go with a different fixed BUIS but that is also personal preference.

JSantoro
10-25-11, 13:07
It's an ACW mount.

Those that do things correctly, and zero irons/RDS separately, may notice that the dot doesn't automatically end up atop the FSP.

I think that some, depending upon the direction the dot ends up, are misinterpreting this to mean that the PRO mount is some unique height, when it is not. Same stuff happens with anybody else's ACW mounts, particularly when combined with FF forearms and front BUISs (monolithic-railed uppers, less so) be they folding or otherwise.

The math doesn't really support anything else, and anecdotally, none of the 40-odd I've helped zero have shown anything I'd call an unusual deviation compared to anything from LaRue, ADM, etc....when there WAS a deviation I could see.

Anybody else that noticed their dot sitting slightly right wouldn't have any problem supposing that their rail might not be installed absolutely perfect, but up/down....yeah, then the optic mount's an oddball size. Seriously, c'mon....

Aimpoint already knows that they're unique enough in having optics that perform and endure the way that they do. They have no reason to induce meaningless uniqueness in their mounts for no better reason than to be unique. That's the reasons behind the behavior of any given Kardashian.....or for how .45GAP hit the market.

Ronin64
10-25-11, 13:10
Debatable, but I hear something around a 2/5th co-witness. Personally, I like 1/3rd's but thats just personal preference. I would rather just get an optic that won't shit the bed, but I put irons on all my AR's regardless because I am paranoid. Or prudent. Pick your poison.

Short answer OP: Yes, it will work. I would go with a different fixed BUIS but that is also personal preference.

Thanks guys for the advice. What would you recommend for different BUIS? I'm open to anything that is durable and reliable.

markm
10-25-11, 13:24
Thanks guys for the advice. What would you recommend for different BUIS? I'm open to anything that is durable and reliable.

I'd use a cut down of the carry handle. That's the most durable and reliable option.

For God's sake. don't do ANYTHING with the Front Sight Base. There aren't any options that are 1/10th as durable as the forged steel base on the colt now.

Backstop
10-25-11, 13:46
What would you recommend for different BUIS?

For a fixed BUIS I think this is the best thing going: LaRue Tactical B.U.I.S. QD LT103

With the LaRue Fixed BUIS, I got a 1/3 lower co-witness when used on a Colt 6721 with the stock FSB, and an Aimpoint ML3 in an LaRue M68 CCO mount.

LaRue BUIS: http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-buis-qd-lt-103

M68: http://www.laruetactical.com/aimpoint-comp-m2-10336-larue-tactical-mount

Only reason I'm not still using the LaRue BUIS is it bugged me being up all the time, so I went back to the Troy.

nimdabew
10-25-11, 13:48
What would you recommend for different BUIS? I'm open to anything that is durable and reliable.

If I were going fixed, I would get a DD 1.5 rear. If folding, Troy round aperature. I like a FSB, folding rear on my RDS guns, but like I said, personal preference.

Pork Chop
10-25-11, 13:59
It's an ACW mount.

Those that do things correctly, and zero irons/RDS separately, may notice that the dot doesn't automatically end up atop the FSP.

I think that some, depending upon the direction the dot ends up, are misinterpreting this to mean that the PRO mount is some unique height, when it is not. Same stuff happens with anybody else's ACW mounts, particularly when combined with FF forearms and front BUISs (monolithic-railed uppers, less so) be they folding or otherwise.

The math doesn't really support anything else, and anecdotally, none of the 40-odd I've helped zero have shown anything I'd call an unusual deviation compared to anything from LaRue, ADM, etc....when there WAS a deviation I could see.

Anybody else that noticed their dot sitting slightly right wouldn't have any problem supposing that their rail might not be installed absolutely perfect, but up/down....yeah, then the optic mount's an oddball size. Seriously, c'mon....

Aimpoint already knows that they're unique enough in having optics that perform and endure the way that they do. They have no reason to induce meaningless uniqueness in their mounts for no better reason than to be unique. That's the reasons behind the behavior of any given Kardashian.....or for how .45GAP hit the market.

This.

My dot rides above my front post approx 1/8" and a hair to the right, but both the PRO & irons are zeroed when using them individually. ymmv